Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can I get a console type controller to work for this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Can I get a console type controller to work for this game.

ENDBRINGER
12.30.2011 , 06:24 AM | #1
First time MMO player and kind of hate using the keyboard. My PC recognizes the Xbox controller but i do not know how or if i can iterface with the game.
thanks,
Matt

biscuitss
12.30.2011 , 06:52 AM | #2
to be fair mate there's not enough buttons on an xbox controller to actually play this game........ you would end up only being able to use about 4 or 5 skills

Defilez
12.30.2011 , 07:32 AM | #3

DarthHendo
12.30.2011 , 07:40 AM | #4
You couldnt really play the game effectively with a controller. I know I personally keybind the whole left side of my keyboard, with shifts as well, to be able to play effectively. Couldnt really do it with even 8 buttons. Best of luck tho =)

labtud
12.30.2011 , 07:41 AM | #5
Also to be fair when you are in PvP area's a console type controller just will not be good enough. I regard myself as an ok PvP'er there are far worse and far better, but even I would put money on me v player with console it would not be a fair contest. All MMO players who play a reasonable game use K/B and Mouse combo whether they are gaming keyboards and mouse or not!

FormicSaipen
12.30.2011 , 09:23 AM | #6
I use a ps3 style in my left hand, mouse in right. First, you can't use a controller "dual control" stick wise because you need a mouse cursor to select enemies. No way around it. You CAN emulate the mouse on one of the control sticks and being as that this isn't a game where you need a quick mouse it is doable.

Now, to respond to there aren't enough buttons. BS. I use my controller specifically for the buttons. Just using my left hand (and XPadder) I have 33 buttons at hand, not counting my mouse buttons. That's 8 buttons for 8 directions on the control stick, I can reach select and the PS button, and the click on the stick. 11 buttons, plus each of the left shoulder buttons act as a switch to an all new set of 11. 11x3. I use the D pad for movement.

Now I know if you want to map the mouse to a control stick you could have like 60 buttons, but I already have too many with the 33.

You'll have to use xpadder (google) and you'll have to set up a bunch of extra bindings in the preferences. Another thing, w/xpadder you can autofire which makes selecting spells a LOT more efficient.

For example w/my sourcerer I have the UDLR control stick select party members and the diagonal heal and activate shield.

WITH a controller I'm more efficient and faster than anyone using a keyboard.

BeefFungu
12.30.2011 , 09:44 AM | #7
http://www.giantbomb.com/star-wars-t...t_post_5060896

Someone did a nice little walkthrough on how to set it up.

Works well enough. You don't have the complete control you would have using a keyboard and mouse but for us console gamers trying to play the game this really helps you get into it. Obviously you will be at a disadvantage if you play PvP or if you group up with randoms who take games too seriously. But it's good for soloing.

Also consider that Razer keypad someone mentioned earlier.