Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best skill to make lots of money...?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Best skill to make lots of money...?

KrelosDarksky
12.30.2011 , 08:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Skuldar View Post
If they didn't want Slicers running missions for money, they why did they make missions that only return credit boxes? Why not exclusively have missions that return augs and schematics? Having those credit missions in the game implies that "printing money" was considered a valid gathering endeavor and not some kind of deplorable exploit.

Bad math is just that .. bad math ... not intention.

Pestwulf
12.30.2011 , 08:38 AM | #22
Slicing has never been and likely never will be the best money maker.

If you want the best money out there, here are some combinations you can think about...none of them is slicing.

Underworld Trading. By far the best money maker in the game. Terenthium at lower levels will make you instantly rich. Sell each bar for between 150 and 300 depending on what your server is going at. My first server is about 150, my Empire server is about 250.

I've gotten as many as 6 bars on a bountiful 120 credit 3.5 minute mission. You also get just as many schematics and missions as Slicing does which you can sell for extra money (check your market before selling).

With your crewmate going on UT missions, your other two skills should be gathering ones that you can use to sell off the proceeds. My suggestion is definitely Scavenging.

For lower levels, Plastoid, Bronzium, aluminum and ...whatever that other Plast one is...they all sell exceedingly well on the GTN. For the Desh and Silica, you can take a loss on it and sell it for 10 to 15 credits at the GTN, give it to friends or if you want to squeeze everything you can out of it, trade it to an alt with armortech and make the basic belts to sell to a vendor. Doing that raises the profit to 25 credits per Desh or Silica. Sell the crits on the GTN for a couple hundred credits.

For the last skill, I'd take Bioanalysis over Slicing. Slicing will give you free credits when you find a node, but Bio ingredients sell very well indeed and with the ability to "skin" a lot of strong beast enemies and higher you can rake in a lot more components than you will find slicing nodes.

If your market for Bio isn't that strong (since only one profession benefits from it unlike scavenging)...you can eventually drop it when you have three or so crew members and pick up Cybertech or Armortech (i'd suggest cybertech as the ship augments you can make sell very, very well...since you can't seem to buy level 2 schematics and the next store bought ones are level 3...there is a huge level range missing creating a nice market).

Slicing, even before the nerf, was never as profitable as using the GTN. Slicing was much less work which I'm guessing why it was weaker in profit. Back in the beta before the very first nerf, Slicing really was obscene. It was every bit as good as Underworld Trading but with the same effortless style. After that nerf, but before this last nerf, slicing was under performing in profit compared to the other gathering professions except that you never had to even look at the GTN to realize your gains, making it attractive.

With this nerf, over time you will still gain some cash by slicing and selling schematics, but it is so far below the other gathering professions now I can't really say why anyone would want it.

Bio and Scavenging can be used in Flashpoints for alternate routes and to get into otherwise inaccessible areas. I'm "guessing" slicing may allow the same in some of the higher flashpoints or operations, but I've never been in them so don't know for sure.

Hope that helps ya

DarrkLore
12.30.2011 , 08:42 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MoarPowar View Post
Roll a female character and pretend you're really a girl
You can make money just for being a girl!? Sign me up!
ε╬╣!!!!╠▀▀{}▀(████████████████████████████████████████)

DamienStark
12.30.2011 , 08:53 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Macepwnspalpy View Post
Yo

Whats the best "Profession" To make lots of credits? :O
Questing.

If you're really just trying to make money, take three skills that can harvest nodes (slicing, scavenging, bio) and just level through the content normally, harvesting all the nodes you see as you go and selling the mats on GTN.

Once you have spare companions you can send them out on missions to gather more while you're going, and the skills will already be leveled from your harvesting.

Skuldar
12.30.2011 , 09:26 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Pestwulf View Post
Slicing, even before the nerf, was never as profitable as using the GTN. Slicing was much less work which I'm guessing why it was weaker in profit. Back in the beta before the very first nerf, Slicing really was obscene. It was every bit as good as Underworld Trading but with the same effortless style. After that nerf, but before this last nerf, slicing was under performing in profit compared to the other gathering professions except that you never had to even look at the GTN to realize your gains, making it attractive.
Yes, and that was as it should be. Taking risks on the GTN should always provide greater reward than a steadier, safer route like Slicing. It seemed like it was already balanced if you actually listened to those that kept Slicing up to 50 and reported that it was a lackluster money-maker at the high-end compared to other activities. But because it had the potential to shine at mid-levels, it was deemed too imbalanced by the whining masses and apparently the code-heads at BW. Like it wasn't completely predictable what would happen if you put credit box missions into a crew skill.

Kholvan
12.30.2011 , 09:38 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Skuldar View Post
If they didn't want Slicers running missions for money, they why did they make missions that only return credit boxes? Why not exclusively have missions that return augs and schematics? Having those credit missions in the game implies that "printing money" was considered a valid gathering endeavor and not some kind of deplorable exploit.
Which is why they didn't take the credits away. No one's saying heavy slicers are bad people ... well, rational folks aren't, anyhow.

It was just dumb design to have a print money profession when credits and materials are the gate to crafting prowess - time is ultimately irrelevant as you have a bunch of otherwise idle companions. It may not be true at the moment, but there will come a time when credits can buy mats.

Litefire
12.30.2011 , 09:49 AM | #27
Go underworld trading, take the 9k you get from space missions at lvl 22, invest it in your level 5-6 UT Rich and Abundent metal/fabric missions*, post metals for 3k per blue metal bar and 10k for purple metal bar **

Con naive slicers to sell you the 340 Mission discovery schematic for 3.5k***

sell bars, with 2 companions expect to pull 60k for pressing a button 4 times in 2 hours.

oh and yes these will continue to sell, and they will sell at the exorbitant prices because they are used for the level 50 crafts, and some people still believe that the crafted gear is better then the commendation gear.

*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship

**( 1 mission costs 1.8k and 35 min to do, you get 2-8 bars for normal mission

***yealds 50+k of mats spread between metals, fabrics, and companion gifts. 1 type of which is used by 3 professions.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion
I Support SGRA In the Old Republic

ChromeLight
12.30.2011 , 09:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Litefire View Post
Go underworld trading, take the 9k you get from space missions at lvl 22, invest it in your level 5-6 UT Rich and Abundent metal/fabric missions*, post metals for 3k per blue metal bar and 10k for purple metal bar **

Con naive slicers to sell you the 340 Mission discovery schematic for 3.5k***

sell bars, with 2 companions expect to pull 60k for pressing a button 4 times in 2 hours.

oh and yes these will continue to sell, and they will sell at the exorbitant prices because they are used for the level 50 crafts, and some people still believe that the crafted gear is better then the commendation gear.

*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship

**( 1 mission costs 1.8k and 35 min to do, you get 2-8 bars for normal mission

***yealds 50+k of mats spread between metals, fabrics, and companion gifts. 1 type of which is used by 3 professions.

Strange I saw Grade 5/6 Blue/Purple Cloth/Metal selling at 400 per 10 units for 2 days. No one buys it.
And this is on a FULL server with >55MIN queue.

DamienStark
12.30.2011 , 10:01 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Litefire View Post
*if you only have companion gifts as missions, change zone, ex go from fleet to your ship.
Wait, seriously? That works?

Thanks for that tip, been trying to figure out what makes the missions rotate for a while. Had resigned myself to gifts or moderates every so often just to get new options...

essell
12.30.2011 , 10:09 AM | #30
Okay, I'm at 400 skill, got there before Nerf, but I'm still making 2500 thousand credits per hour, per crew member assigned to slicing. It's easy money still.

Can make more reselling other skills, but that might not stay, and it's a lot more work. I can open the game in the background at work and keep em slicing for an extra eight hours per day. Still Easy Money.
The Cake is a lie, there is only Cookies. Through cookies I gain mass, from mass I gain inertia, from inertia I gain force. The Force shall free me.