Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bootcamp and Low FPS? Fix it here!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bootcamp and Low FPS? Fix it here!

ineidzcode
12.30.2011 , 12:58 AM | #1
*NOTE: The quoted method is now considered the old method. I was getting mixed results from users. The newer method found among many sources seems to be the best for now. Please respond with your experiences and I'll be sure to add them to this original post. Thank you!

I'm running a brand new Mac Book Pro with an AMD Radeon HD 6770M video card, 8 gigs of ram on Windows 7 64-Bit and only seeing 15-20 FPS on LOW settings. Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave right now! I was determined to find a fix.

For those of you that looked into fixing this similar issue, well you were probably like me. It has to be a driver issue! First instinct? Go to AMDs website and download the latest Catalyst Display Drivers.

You picked "Notebook Graphics" -> "Radeon HD Series" -> "Radeon HD 6xxxM Series" -> "Windows 7 - 64 Bit" and tried to install - I wish it were that easy!

If you followed this first instinct, chances are you received an error when trying to install your driver.

"AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."

Huh?

As of now, the beta Catalyst Drivers seem to be working. To successfully install these drivers, follow the steps below.

Uninstall Old Drivers
  1. Download CCleaner
  2. Shutdown ALL Catalyst Processes
    1. Right click on toolbar
    2. Click "Start Task Manager"
    3. Drag open the "Description Pane" to easily identify any Catalyst processes running
    4. Right click all Catalyst processes and click "End Process"
  3. Run CCleaner
    1. Select Tools
    2. Uninstall tab
    3. Uninstall "AMD Catalyst Installer Manager"
  4. Delete AMD/ATI Folders
    1. My Computer -> C: (windows install) -> Delete any AMD/ATI folders that relate to your display drivers...->Program Files (x86) -> Delete any AMD/ATI folders that relate to your display drivers
  5. Remove current drivers
    1. Control Panel -> Device Manager
    2. Open "Display Adapters"
    3. Right click on "AMD Radeon HD * (Your Card)
    4. Click "Uninstall"

Restart your computer

Install Beta Catalyst Drivers
  1. Download Beta Drivers
  2. Open Download folder
  3. Double click "amd_catalyst_12.1_preview_windows_vista_7.exe "
  4. Walk through install wizard

Restart your computer

With these drivers, I can run Medium settings at 30FPS however I prefer smoother play so I run Low Default settings at 60FPS in Fullscreen mode.

My Catalyst settings:
Anti-Aliasing: 4x
Anisotropic Filtering: 4x
Tesselation: AMD Optimized
Catalyst A.I.: Performance
Wait for vertical refresh: Always Off (Performance)
Anti-Aliasing Mode: Multi-sample AA (Performance)
OpenGL Settings: Triple buffering selected

These settings work for me. I am by no means an expert so PLEASE post your settings if you find better performance from your card. I still can't believe I can only run Medium at 30FPS with this Mac Book Pro.

Thank you and hopefully you find this helpful.
Quote:
After a few hours of poking around Apple forums, AMD forums, Windows 7 forums, I decided to go straight to the source JUST to make sure I didn't miss anything...and I did!

AMD is very deceiving. When I see "MAC Graphics", I think Mac Kexts (Mac version of a driver), not Windows 7 drivers. Oh but look at the second drop down - "Apple Boot Camp".

Lets get to the good stuff. Lets fix our FPS.

What I did:

If you installed the Boot Camp Drivers CD, your screen resolution looks good - so make sure you visit the AMD site now to download your drivers so you are not vertically/horizontally scrolling to find download links.

Download 1 (AMD Boot Camp Drivers):
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...camp-win7.aspx

Download 2 (Newest Catalyst Release):
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...b_win7-64.aspx

*These downloads are for my setup. Radeon HD 6770M on Windows 7 64 bit. To find your downloads, visit here. First install is your setup using MAC Graphics as a system (Step 1) and Boot Camp as a product (Step 2) followed by your card specifics. Second download is your selection as if you were on a native PC with Windows.

After you have downloaded the drivers you need, follow these instructions:

Uninstall drivers Boot Camp installed
  1. Control Panel -> Device Manager
  2. Drop down "Display Adapters"
  3. Right click "AMD Radeon HD 6770M" (or your AMD card) and select "Uninstall".
  4. Restart

Install Boot Camp Display Drivers
  1. Unzip your Boot Camp Display Drivers
  2. Control Panel -> Device Manager
  3. Drop down "Display Adapters"
  4. Right click "VGA Adapater" (adapter name may vary)
  5. Select "Update Driver Software"
  6. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  7. Navigate to your unzipped folder of the Boot Camp Display Drivers (my location was: Downloads\8.812-110104a-112011C-Apple.4-Win7Vista\8.812-110104a-112011C-Apple.4-Win7Vista
  8. Make sure "Include subfolders" is checked and hit Next

After Windows finishes the install, restart your computer (if it doesn't ask).

Install Catalyst Mobility
  1. Simply install the "Catalyst Mobility Suite" (the latest drivers released from AMD, Download 2) and you should no longer get the error you were seeing before.

I'm now running 50-60FPS on Medium in the Imperial Space Station. I hope this helps everyone else experiencing this horrific issue.
Disclaimer - I'm not responsible if you completely hose your computer. If you can't find the control panel, I suggest you STOP, and pay a nerd that can.

Psychon
12.30.2011 , 02:58 AM | #2
I followed your instructions, but still ended up with the "AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."

The only variation in my steps was downloading the windows 7 32-bit versions instead of the 64-bit.

Right now, I'm also averaging 15-25 FPS on a 17" 2011 MacBook Pro with a Radeon HD 6750M card.

Psychon
12.30.2011 , 12:13 PM | #3
OK, so ... thinking my problem was having 32-bit Windows 7 on my bootcamp, I reinstalled the 64-bit version, followed your directions exactly, and ...

ended up with the same dang error ... sigh.

And, my FPS is still around 15-25 FPS, just like it was under 32-bit Windows 7.

Ugh.

daemian
12.30.2011 , 12:19 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Psychon View Post
I followed your instructions, but still ended up with the "AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software on your computer. Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."
If I understand you correctly, it's not letting you even download the update? Something doesn't seem right.

Ambrogino
12.30.2011 , 12:24 PM | #5
Turn off the Bloom in the graphics setting. Then you can max everyting else and your FPS will be fine.
Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
― Robert E. Howard

TONZ
12.30.2011 , 01:02 PM | #6
Running an older macbook with an Nvida graphics card and got a boost in FPS doing some tweaks here:

-Lower Rez: 1024 x 768
-Used Nvida control panel to force the game to run full screen, but at the set rez (not auto expanding, game runs with a black border on my 1200 x 800 screen)
-Used Nvida control to render 3d with increased performance (has a slider that you can adjust between performance and quality).
-Keep vertical sync off
-Shadows off

I'm getting about 30-65 in the wilderness without other players, and around 15-30 with players. A couple of times drops to about 10, but is basically double what I had before.

Anyone having problems with overheating in bootcamp? My fan is constant speed, doesn't increase like it does when in Lion.

adamcat
12.30.2011 , 01:14 PM | #7
Aside from low fps, is anyone else having a problem with the bootcamp partition's space filling up way too quickly? I partitioned to bootcamp with 60 gigs of space, and it's already almost full. Is the game really taking up this much space? Or are there some hidden programs I need to remove?

daemian
12.30.2011 , 07:02 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by adamcat View Post
Aside from low fps, is anyone else having a problem with the bootcamp partition's space filling up way too quickly? I partitioned to bootcamp with 60 gigs of space, and it's already almost full. Is the game really taking up this much space? Or are there some hidden programs I need to remove?
I responded to your question in the Boot Camp thread. You may be able to find a few GB but a 60GB partition is going to be too small as soon as you need to update.

Inkling
12.30.2011 , 11:25 PM | #9
This is a great guide, thanks OP. Very direct and comprehensive (Apple take note).

For the sake of clarity, can you please confirm that the final step,

Quote:
Install Catalyst Mobility

Simply install "Catalyst Mobility" and you should no longer get the error from above.
means to install what had previously been called "Download 2 (Newest Catalyst Release)" by double-clicking the file called catalyst_mobility_64-bit_util.exe?

Thanks!
Gingos Large Service
No Job Too Big, No Fee Too Big

ineidzcode
01.02.2012 , 05:33 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
This is a great guide, thanks OP. Very direct and comprehensive (Apple take note).

For the sake of clarity, can you please confirm that the final step,

means to install what had previously been called "Download 2 (Newest Catalyst Release)" by double-clicking the file called catalyst_mobility_64-bit_util.exe?

Thanks!
Sorry for late response. Busy holiday weekend.

Yes. After you have successfully installed the Boot Camp drivers from AMD's website, you simply just have to install the Catalyst Mobility Suite (latest drivers released from AMD) that was giving the error.
Neidz - Warrior of the Shadow
Slow FPS in Boot Camp? Look Here
(Mods closed original, now toward the bottom of page 16 on linked thread)