Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crit/Surge/Power Caps?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Crit/Surge/Power Caps?

nuclrhorseradish
12.29.2011 , 07:34 PM | #1
Anyone know if there is such a thing, or what my targets should be for crits, surge, and power? Also is there any idea of preference?

I'm thinking Crit -> Power -> Surge?

Looking for numerical inputs and thoughts on that hypothesized secondary stat prioirty.

BlindRapture
12.29.2011 , 08:13 PM | #2
I would hazard a guess that if you are going to focus on crit (which you should), surge would be the logical secondary stat to compliment it the most.

AllAmerican
12.29.2011 , 09:37 PM | #3
Well crit is a percentage where as power is constant. I would figure Power would be the first until you hit diminishing returns.
CE VIP

Sigmund_Drake
12.29.2011 , 11:02 PM | #4
jbrdude and I are currently parsing data to find the necessary amount of power before crit and surge take precedence.

nuclrhorseradish
01.01.2012 , 09:31 AM | #5
Awesome, looking forward to your theorycrafting results. Where are you planning on posting these? You have a site or going to make a thread here?

nuclrhorseradish
01.01.2012 , 09:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sigmund_Drake View Post
jbrdude and I are currently parsing data to find the necessary amount of power before crit and surge take precedence.
So this is interesting. Did you mean accuracy instead of power? As a base modifier to all other damage output power makes sense, but I also did not put accuracy in here, and I have recently started to put some focus on it - if you aren't hitting, then ultimately crit, surge, and power all would be failing to live up to the potential as we wouldn't be getting the most bang for the buck using the rationale that if you don't hit, then all that potential damage gained from surge, crit, and power go away simply by missing? There is also the question of alacrity, and determining what the cap is for it, though I think alacrity is going to be the lowest priority stat? Unless there is a massive increase from snipe cast, sos ticks, etc..

So maybe the priority is Accuracy to "cap" -> power -> Crit to "cap" -> surge -> alacrity?

_Nyth
01.01.2012 , 11:42 AM | #7
Rough estimate from sithwarrior.com
  1. Accuracy, up until soft cap
  2. Surge, up until 200
  3. Crit, up until 300
  4. Cunning
  5. Crit, up until 400
  6. Surge, up until 250
  7. Power
  8. Crit, beyond 400
  9. Surge, beyond 250
  10. Accuracy, beyond soft cap

It's nothing final yet, and it's near impossible to make solid stuff without combat details; but this is as close as it gets at the moment. And the reasoning behind it is solid.

Power sucks quite a bit.
For myself I put these easy guidelines to start with:

Surge > Crit > Cunning > Power; that's just for leveling where I don't need accuracy.
CE Holder

Oteraign
01.01.2012 , 12:12 PM | #8
And for level 50 gear?
Agent Mithus
Legion of Lettow
Level 30 Medicine
Sith Cruzaders

ImApologetic
01.01.2012 , 07:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by _Nyth View Post
Rough estimate from sithwarrior.com
  1. Accuracy, up until soft cap
  2. Surge, up until 200
  3. Crit, up until 300
  4. Cunning
  5. Crit, up until 400
  6. Surge, up until 250
  7. Power
  8. Crit, beyond 400
  9. Surge, beyond 250
  10. Accuracy, beyond soft cap

It's nothing final yet, and it's near impossible to make solid stuff without combat details; but this is as close as it gets at the moment. And the reasoning behind it is solid.

Power sucks quite a bit.
For myself I put these easy guidelines to start with:

Surge > Crit > Cunning > Power; that's just for leveling where I don't need accuracy.
Surge is never > crit because for surge to be effective you need Crit.

IMO as a healer(similar concept except you need Acc) i do Crit>Power>surge, i don't count cunning.. because its a given on my equipment.

omgdesit
01.01.2012 , 10:33 PM | #10
It works both ways there. Crit isn't very good without surge because the base rate is only 150%.