Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Warrior, not as much choice as we thought? (SPOILER)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sith Warrior, not as much choice as we thought? (SPOILER)

Amaann
12.29.2011 , 05:04 PM | #1
I began this character, my now level 33 Sith Marauder, as a slightly DS Imperial zealot. Anything for the Empire. Not quite a homicidal maniac, as the quests would let you be, but definitely not a softie. I realized that being evil doesn't necessarily fit my playstyle, but I feared that the Jedi storyline would be too stuffy to be engaging (speculation, let me know if it isn't! Seriously, let me know).

Tattooine gave me an out. The encounter with "yourself" in the small pool gave myself and my character an incredibly satisfying reason to turn to the light, and as such, I've been playing as a good and honorable guy since. It's quite a compelling reason to play the game, I feel like I have purpose in what I'm doing.

I just got off of Jaesa Willsaam's ship. I chose dialogue options fitting to the character I was playing; I was peaceful and sought a peaceful resolution. However, I was forced to fight one of them. At the end, the Jedi asked me if the Dark Side was the source of such power. I got very excited to have an option embracing the light in front of a Jedi who I just beat in combat. I was disappointed to see it did not exist. Instead, my character declared his allegiance to the Dark even though that isn't even close to what's going on right now.

Is this how it's going to be for the rest of my playthrough? I can pretend to be a good guy during the pitiful throwaway side quests but when it comes to the meat of the story I have to be all Dark Side all the time? I was hopeful that there would be an avenue for a redemption of sorts. I'm fairly committed to playing Sith now that I'm so far in the leveling process (not to mention Bounty Hunter is incredibly more interesting than Trooper ). Can anyone who has played further than I have tell me if my concerns are valid?

Darth_Vicente
12.29.2011 , 05:08 PM | #2
Your alignment is on a sliding scale. If you were Dark Sided all the way to the Oasis, it's not going to be a quick slide to the light. You can eventually get to the light, but it's not gonna be a "well, I saved that orphanage, I've redeemed myself of the seven orphanages I burned". Esspecially because it's 1000+ points to get each alignment rank.
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

Amaann
12.29.2011 , 05:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
Your alignment is on a sliding scale. If you were Dark Sided all the way to the Oasis, it's not going to be a quick slide to the light. You can eventually get to the light, but it's not gonna be a "well, I saved that orphanage, I've redeemed myself of the seven orphanages I burned". Esspecially because it's 1000+ points to get each alignment rank.
I'm well aware of the scale, I track those points. That's not what I'm asking. Does that determine the dialogue options that I'm given? I'm actually positive on alignment points, was so before the scene on Jaesa's ship.

GCRust
12.29.2011 , 05:26 PM | #4
Yeah. My character is Dark II at Level 26, and if I decided to backpedal towards the Light (I'm at something like 650 Light/3200 Dark at the moment), it wouldn't be a turn around occurrence.

I've just gotten to Tattooine myself, so it will be interesting to "meet" myself there. Looking forward to that! Not sure how I'll play it though - I play a mild sadistic patriot. I do what's best for the Empire, but I have fun doing it. At the same time, my character is also very civil and humane to those in his charge. I removed Vette's collar immediately, I'm civil and polite with Quinn and all my contacts (Assuming I'm directed towards them deliberately and not just the random Imperial Officer going "I need help!" Those people I'm a total ****** to)...I even let the Republic Commandos who aided me on Nar Shadda leave in peace after helping me take down the Sith Lord there.

It'll be interesting to see where my Sith Warrior goes there.

And yeah, Warriors don't seem to have near the kind of freedom Knights have, based on Tython compared to Korriban, which seems like a serious story changer in the long term (Being able to kill your master in favor for a Dark Jedi? That's kind of ******). At the same time, if you don't roll as a Dark Jedi right away, the choices seem rather forced.
May the Force Be With You. May It Bring You Power.

madjiuce
12.29.2011 , 09:01 PM | #5
The Developers have stated that all choices made during the story quests are tallied up, Once you reach the end of the chapter the higher score wins. This is a separate scoring from Alignment which is marked against all missions. You could play a evil character for everything apart from story missions where you instead choose light options and at the end of the chapter you will get the light side end.

Girdeux
12.29.2011 , 09:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by madjiuce View Post
The Developers have stated that all choices made during the story quests are tallied up, Once you reach the end of the chapter the higher score wins. This is a separate scoring from Alignment which is marked against all missions. You could play a evil character for everything apart from story missions where you instead choose light options and at the end of the chapter you will get the light side end.
thats not what his asking. his saying his trying to play a light side sith but there really isnt much light side options..but more like "dark light" side options.

Although there is light side options i saw later in the game i never chose them, they still looked to be somewhat a dark lightside choice if that makes sense?

Randehman
12.29.2011 , 09:39 PM | #7
This is because ultimately... when you pick Sith Warrior you are stuck with a Sith Warrior. This is not a game that supports transition from one class to another - though I would wholly support that feature, it's probably so technically daunting and insane that it might just be impossible.

As a Sith Warrior you did Dark things to get to where you are. You submit yourself to the Dark Side. You can relent, and meander, and start to see the error of your ways but all of your abilities, powers, attacks... those are all based on the Dark Side. The fact that you won that fight WAS because of the Dark Side - otherwise all your abilities would have been the Jedi Knight abilities, which are based on the Light Side.

Understand, even though you want a compelling Light Side option in every dialogue, that's just not possible / probable. I think you should be ecstatic that it let you get as far as it did. In fact it's a testament to how many choices you were given that you only really hit one brick wall during a post-fight conversation towards the middle of your character's progression.