Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Deception vs. PvP Madness

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
PvP Deception vs. PvP Madness

YanksfanJP
12.29.2011 , 02:44 PM | #1
I've leveled to about 38 as Deception. I obviously am questing, but I love warzones as well. I haven't tried Madness at all, but I'm curious about it. I'd like to hear the opinions from people who have played Madness, especially those who have played both Madness and Deception, to give me their thoughts on playstyle differences, strengths and weaknesses, and overall feel of effectiveness.

Yes, I've read the sticky. I'm looking for more anecdotal opinions.

I'm also not interested in a Darkness-focused spec.

Thank you.

CkMobster
12.29.2011 , 02:50 PM | #2
Deception seems more preferable due to it's burst imo. But then again i've never been a fan of the madness style in Battleground format.

Hethroin
12.29.2011 , 02:56 PM | #3
All I get to play is Huttball. So Darkness for pull and non-stealth melee stun, then just stand in stealth next to acid and make $$.

Kazakuhn
12.29.2011 , 05:58 PM | #4
Because of the reduced range... stray from madness. If there was an ability that knocked our reach up with ALL ranged abilities to at least 30m, it may be worth it. It would definitely be worth it if Parasitism still replenished force.
ಥ_ಥ Cry Moar.

sankalp
12.29.2011 , 06:47 PM | #5
Remember, Healers hate you for burst damage, Constant damage they can take care of, maybe not at first but they will adapt to your style of damage and come out on top. What they dislike to the point of Raging is when you suddenly out damage their normal heals and leave the Tank or whoever they are assisting abusing the hell out the them for not keeping up.

Edit: That is to say go deception

kainsec
12.29.2011 , 10:26 PM | #6
Burst DD >>>>>>>> Dots in Pvp. It's harder to heal through back to back 3k hits from discharge, shock, and assassinate/maul. DoT stacking takes time which warzone design does not encourage plus it gives them time to out maneuver you given that our armor is paper unless tanking the longer they live the bigger of a problem they are.
level 50 Sith Assassin
level 50 Mara
Member of Shadow Empire

YanksfanJP
12.30.2011 , 12:42 PM | #7
Thanks for the insight. The reason I ask is I keep hearing about how hard Death Field hits, plus the self-healing, plus the burst that a Shock hit can have when you proc the second 50% hit... And then you add the dots on top of it, plus don't have to depend too much on Maul and the positional requirements. It just seemed like it was a really good mix of everything that works in pvp.

Leverage
12.31.2011 , 11:36 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
Thanks for the insight. The reason I ask is I keep hearing about how hard Death Field hits, plus the self-healing, plus the burst that a Shock hit can have when you proc the second 50% hit... And then you add the dots on top of it, plus don't have to depend too much on Maul and the positional requirements. It just seemed like it was a really good mix of everything that works in pvp.
i am a balance shadow so the same as madness, and love it. you have stealth of a rogue, dots of a warlock, and no positioning requirements. with the stuns, interrupts, and closers, the ability to do a ton of dps at 10m, with some 30m abilities allows you to close gaps to double strike.

no class in swtor is bursty like in wow, so a constant stream of high pressure is really strong, especially in wzs.

dont pvp until level 25 or so until you get your procs and the equivalent to force in balance.

its all personal preferene of course, but to use stealth to capture the objectives, have the hardest hitting double strike of any inquisitor, no positional requirements, and strong mid range dots is very powerful if played right.

Kazakuhn
12.31.2011 , 12:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by YanksfanJP View Post
If you think the shock damage is nasty from that... you should see the shock damage from a full Deception/Madness assassin That spec can also acquire the potential second shock per shock thrown out there... on top of boosting it's damage AND critical damage by rather extreme amounts.

Then it turns into something... kind of like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9AkvnSYO8s
ಥ_ಥ Cry Moar.

LordFallacy
12.31.2011 , 01:17 PM | #10
i leveled all the way to 50 as deception and decided to play with madness afterward in regards to PvP deception is defiantly superior the quick burst style is essential for 1v1 style. With that said PvPing as madness the overall damage done is alot higher though your killing blows may be lower. i found in most 1v1 situations i was doomed and against a healer without having low slash it was hard to get them down but in anything else i.e 2v2, 3v3, etc madness poses a solid threat.

PvE wise i have to say madness is the way to go. Though the rotation is harder and takes some getting use to with the range and debuff/buff timers it seems to do more damage.

(now i obviously dont have a dmg meter to prove it but while in deception spec i never pulled threat but in madness i have to vanish on every boss fight because i pull half way through)

ps death field crits for about 2600