Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guild Flagship Space Combat (Multiplayer)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Guild Flagship Space Combat (Multiplayer)

Blogmonster
12.29.2011 , 10:48 AM | #1
Stephen Reid:

Quote:
...it's possible guild capital ships could be just open spaces for people to hang out in. Cool, but likely 'not enough' for many people. So then you add on, say, the ability to customize that space. Then maybe you want to move those ships around - maybe put them in orbit over planets, or go fight with other guild capital ships. Woah, did we just add a space combat game?

Did you just get a manrection too?

AJediKnight
12.29.2011 , 10:51 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Blogmonster View Post
Stephen Reid:

Did you just get a manrection too?
He's barking up my tree, so to speak.

I've been saying precisely what SR is suggesting basically since TOR was announced. If they added something like this; added fleet combat, where guild capital ships were player-controlled, and defended by boarding teams, repaired by engineers (maybe you could develop a repair minigame for the engineer player, like Puzzle Pirates or something), and covered by swarms fo player-flown snub fighters, it would instantly turn TOR into the greatest MMO of all time. Period.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Blogmonster
12.29.2011 , 10:53 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post

I've been saying precisely what SR is suggesting basically since TOR was announced. If they added something like this; added fleet combat, where guild capital ships were player-controlled, and defended by boarding teams, repaired by engineers (maybe you could develop a repair minigame for the engineer player, like Puzzle Pirates or something), and covered by swarms fo player-flown snub fighters, it would instantly turn TOR into the greatest MMO of all time. Period.
Imo it already is the greatest MMO of all time, the only problem is keeping themselves up there lol! Bioware are a bunch o' good lads, maybe too good to be hanging around EA :S is my only concern.

savagepotato
12.29.2011 , 11:23 AM | #4
I've dreamed about that kind of a game probably since the first time I played X-Wing back in 1993.

On one hand it would be amazing, on the other hand if it was done, and done right, I would probably become so hopelessly addicted to it that I would end up being one of those people that becomes a jobless basement dweller and moves back home at the age of 35.

So I really don't know if they should do this or not...

zennikbml
03.19.2014 , 03:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by savagepotato View Post
I've dreamed about that kind of a game probably since the first time I played X-Wing back in 1993.

On one hand it would be amazing, on the other hand if it was done, and done right, I would probably become so hopelessly addicted to it that I would end up being one of those people that becomes a jobless basement dweller and moves back home at the age of 35.

So I really don't know if they should do this or not...
this. for me the dream began with Rogue Squadron and amped up once online multiplayer started picking up speed. needless to say, that kind of massive, immersive, player-driven space combat is what i feel GSF should have been, and would literally immortalize this game.

Infernixx
03.19.2014 , 03:55 PM | #6

I'm not a PVPer, but I'd sign up for an Engineer in that scenario.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Master_Hitsugaya
03.19.2014 , 04:04 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by zennikbml View Post
this. for me the dream began with Rogue Squadron and amped up once online multiplayer started picking up speed. needless to say, that kind of massive, immersive, player-driven space combat is what i feel GSF should have been, and would literally immortalize this game.
Ooh rogue squadron prbs one of my fav star wars games. But I think we need to give GSF some credit cause it is a mini game and only real way to realistically top it is to make a space fighting/sim game whatever genre it is. For a mini game GSF and even the PVE space game are not bad.

Not a bad idea not sure if it a realistic expectation. Maybe do something along the lines of what ESO will do with cyrodil?

StiZZy
03.19.2014 , 07:05 PM | #8

Maybe I'm dreaming.. but I hope TOR is slipping in, little by little, to a more space like experience. My dream is to have an ''optional'' real flight to Nar Shadaa from DK. Along my computer guided, or manually controlled flight path, I encounter pvp'ers who want to space battle it out. After defeating the scum, I reach Nar Shadaa and see my guild's flagship in orbit. I'd dock on it and hang out in our 10 forward''bar'' while group qued for wz's. We could have our meets in there as well. Then our guild master calls a space CTA on our flagship and we leave the neutral space of Nar Shadaa to enter the enemy space zone. Upon leaving hyperspace, we arrive and see fellow allied guilds in a massive space battle with the enemy. The ship goes on full red alert! Some mates enter their own GSF ship and battle around us. Others defend the ship, using turrets and ship blasters. Think like SW Battlefront 2. If a flagship gets defeated.. it enters emergency hyperspace to the nearest neutral zone. Was that dream a little big?

Reaperov
03.20.2014 , 08:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by StiZZy View Post
Maybe I'm dreaming.. but I hope TOR is slipping in, little by little, to a more space like experience. My dream is to have an ''optional'' real flight to Nar Shadaa from DK. Along my computer guided, or manually controlled flight path, I encounter pvp'ers who want to space battle it out. After defeating the scum, I reach Nar Shadaa and see my guild's flagship in orbit. I'd dock on it and hang out in our 10 forward''bar'' while group qued for wz's. We could have our meets in there as well. Then our guild master calls a space CTA on our flagship and we leave the neutral space of Nar Shadaa to enter the enemy space zone. Upon leaving hyperspace, we arrive and see fellow allied guilds in a massive space battle with the enemy. The ship goes on full red alert! Some mates enter their own GSF ship and battle around us. Others defend the ship, using turrets and ship blasters. Think like SW Battlefront 2. If a flagship gets defeated.. it enters emergency hyperspace to the nearest neutral zone. Was that dream a little big?

Just the idea of Guild Flagships and Strongholds alone is pretty spectacular. I always thought they should do something like this. The Guild Flagship alone is better than what I was hoping for, if they could expand on that and make space battles like this, with GSF added in, it would be amazing. However, how they would do something like that is beyond me. What happens if too many guild ships are in the area? How do you get from ship to ship? Maybe they could make it so only three ships from either faction could be in a battle at once, like the spawns for GSF in the KDY Mesas map. Maybe there could be multiple battles going on at once, a bunch of three vs. three guild wars side-by-side to create a massive battle. Then, I think, most people would spend more time fighting over planets than on them.

Sarfux
03.20.2014 , 09:09 PM | #10
Now that we are getting guild ships and have the space game out? I'm sure in the future we will see GvG battles. It will slowly.
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums