Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is the Esseles Model for Flashpoints unique to itself?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Why is the Esseles Model for Flashpoints unique to itself?

geogenetic's Avatar


geogenetic
12.29.2011 , 10:38 AM | #11
I refuse to rush or skip a cutscene that I haven't seen yet. I honestly like to see the different responses of people in my group. If that means I can't join a hardcore guild than so be it. I really like the group of people that I've played with so far. I've met a lot of cool people running random groups of Esseles. If I start rushing to level instead of enjoying the game I know it won't take me long to cancel as I've done it for every other game out there. This game allows me to enjoy the story and everything the game has to offer at my own pace without making me feel like im being left behind or missing something. First time I've felt comfortable and not rushed in an MMO for a long time. Seems like finally the Journey is really worth it instead of just the Destination.
Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
Geozen - Jedi Sage - Krayiss Obelisk Server
Officer of <Coruscate>

Wrox's Avatar


Wrox
12.29.2011 , 10:41 AM | #12
I agree with the OP. The way bioware handled this is something of a bait and switch. After playing through Black Talon, I was very impressed and told all my friends how flashpoints really seperate SWTOR from other MMOs. But every flashpoint since then has been very lite on the story side. Quite a disappointment.

AJediKnight's Avatar


AJediKnight
12.29.2011 , 10:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrox View Post
I agree with the OP. The way bioware handled this is something of a bait and switch. After playing through Black Talon, I was very impressed and told all my friends how flashpoints really seperate SWTOR from other MMOs. But every flashpoint since then has been very lite on the story side. Quite a disappointment.
I think they ran out of money... or time... or both. BT/Esseles are actually fun *because* of the dialogue options, and seeing how the group reacts to these. The instances that follow are all terribly cut-and-dry by comparison. It really does feel like they pulled the ol' switcheroo.
[][]☲☲☲[]ị::ị\(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Vexas's Avatar


Vexas
12.29.2011 , 10:51 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ravenger View Post
this arguement has become somewhat invalid now.
I have a level 42 sith warrior, a level 10 bounty hunter, and a lvl 31 trooper. and i have yet to skip a single dialogue line. i am taking my time with all my characters and switch between them regularly. but i might have more time on my hands right now since here in europe its the christmas vacation.

so just because he's 50 right now doesnt mean he rushed...
I think the other more important point is that this probably isn't the game to play if you're going to OMGWTFSPACEBAR your way through everything, nor should you expect anyone outside your circle of friends to skip through stuff just so you can grind heroics. In a game that tries to focus more on certain storytelling elements than others of this genre have been able to in the past, it's not very reasonable to expect people to play this game like they play, say, WoW for example. One is new, one is very very old. One is supposed to be more about the story (at least until more people have experienced it), the other is only about plowing through it over and over arcade game style until you have your purple pixels and then literally logging off until the weekly reset.

Some of these people should really remember to take their Ritalin, or perhaps play a game that caters to their ADHD style of play. Hint: a game calling itself a "MMORPG" shouldn't be that game.
. NOOOOOOOoOoOooooo...!!

KerythFOS's Avatar


KerythFOS
12.29.2011 , 10:52 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AJediKnight View Post
I think they ran out of money... or time... or both. BT/Esseles are actually fun *because* of the dialogue options, and seeing how the group reacts to these. The instances that follow are all terribly cut-and-dry by comparison. It really does feel like they pulled the ol' switcheroo.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

The dialogue options make Esseles/BT unique, fun, and different.

The other flashpoints are fun, but, they're really just the same old stuff from other MMO's. Nothing spectacular. And, TBH, while I'm doing all of them on my main, Esseles and BT are the only ones I can see me not skipping on my alts. The others, I can do or not do, they're only instances after all.

WuphonsReach's Avatar


WuphonsReach
12.29.2011 , 10:57 AM | #16
We ran Hammer/Athis last night - and it was very disappointing compared to Black Talon / Esseles.

There was only one light/dark choice in the entire instance on both of those - with pretty much the exact same choice (kill the neutrals / civies for being naughty collaborators or let them live). Once you got the initial quest from the quest giver outside the instance, there wasn't anything else interesting until afterwards.

It's so bland compared to Esseles / Black Talon. You don't get to "talk back" to the bosses before hand, or get much of a story except when you pickup the quest for the flash point.

Kenthen's Avatar


Kenthen
12.29.2011 , 11:03 AM | #17
Good question, I was really hoping Esseles was at the very least setting a standard, if not being a low-water mark and everything getting better from there.
But to me it feels like the opposite so far. Emphasis on so far, since I haven't seen everything yet.

Phelanar's Avatar


Phelanar
12.29.2011 , 11:05 AM | #18
I agree with the OP. After doing Esseles in beta/live and Black Talon in beta, I was super excited to see what other flashpoints were like. And although they've been mechanically well done for the most part, they've been a letdown from a story standpoint. There's some really good premises there, some great potential stories, but they just were not executed well.

The Hammer Station trailer, for example, makes it seem like it's an epic action movie in the making, but you have one choice (without any associated dialogue) in the middle and it's otherwise some guy berating you over a PA system as you clear packs of enemies and fight bosses that don't seem to have a great deal of purpose besides just being there for you to kill. Same for Cademimu. Athiss wasn't much better, nor was Mandalorian Raiders. Taral V is the first flashpoint I've done since the Esseles that actually felt close to what I'd expected from all flashpoints, based on what the Esseles and Black Talon were like.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

KerythFOS's Avatar


KerythFOS
12.29.2011 , 11:12 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Phelanar View Post
I agree with the OP. After doing Esseles in beta/live and Black Talon in beta, I was super excited to see what other flashpoints were like. And although they've been mechanically well done for the most part, they've been a letdown from a story standpoint. There's some really good premises there, some great potential stories, but they just were not executed well.

The Hammer Station trailer, for example, makes it seem like it's an epic action movie in the making, but you have one choice (without any associated dialogue) in the middle and it's otherwise some guy berating you over a PA system as you clear packs of enemies and fight bosses that don't seem to have a great deal of purpose besides just being there for you to kill. Same for Cademimu. Athiss wasn't much better, nor was Mandalorian Raiders. Taral V is the first flashpoint I've done since the Esseles that actually felt close to what I'd expected from all flashpoints, based on what the Esseles and Black Talon were like.
Have they been fun? Sure. But Esseles and BT were so much more enjoyable. Seeing the different outcomes form the conversations, the boss fights being relevant to the story rather than just them standing there, etc. And bland is the perfect description for every flashpoint after that I've done.

What lvl range is Taral V? Cuz if it is even close to Esseles style, I'm looking forward to it

ChubbyLumpkins's Avatar


ChubbyLumpkins
12.29.2011 , 11:12 AM | #20
The next few flashpoints aren't story-driven after BT or Esseles, they're shared between factions. Just level up more and get to Taral V or Boarding Party.