Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Appearance should not require effort

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Character Appearance should not require effort

osmodeus's Avatar


osmodeus
12.30.2011 , 12:29 AM | #11
i liked rifts system. you had the gear equipped on your character it could be any compatible class.

and you had a wardrobe with a few sets. wardrobe could overwrite the visual on the equipment slot. each set could be hotswapped. or wardrobe disabled entirely.

what that allowed was my lvl 50 character who had a full set of 4 transplanar armour items. could craft and equip the matching garbage armour models to make a full set of copper armour so i didn't have a goodwill clown in mismatched armour.

or to quote something i said in guildchat oneday. "why is the intelligence score of female pants inversely proportional to the length of the pants?"

troopers will unanimously agree to such a system. i saw my whole team assembled in a cutscene and they looked like the power rangers. one was green. one was blue. there was a red guy my chick was in yellow and elara looked like a jedi. havoc squad should rename themselves the rainbow warriors.

skitzafit's Avatar


skitzafit
12.30.2011 , 12:58 AM | #12
the thing you are missing is that you should only look like the cloths you are wearing, and by making fully modifiable gear we are able to upgrade the gear with a look we prefer. As for the cost, it takes nothing to overwrite a mod only to pull them out. There really is not a reason to give you a DCU type wardrobe. It works in that game because superheroes/villains have a distinguishable look to them and it is a huge thing when they change looks in a the books so they kept it easy for you to feel the same in the game. BW has made it easy for you to maintain the look you want if you want to have a wardrobe then you need to put the work into maintaining it.

Elyx's Avatar


Elyx
12.30.2011 , 01:38 AM | #13
I'm a fan of costume sets in games where the gear selection is not what I desire. My personal preference in this game is I like most the styles (early trooper gear could use a lift...troopers don't wear white spandex tyvm.

in relation to the current system, Im okay with cost. What I would like to have is a little more availability. more options early on especially. I can see the logic behind wanting it to be an earned thing, but like it was said before, risk=rewards issue...the difficulty(challenge) is too high for what your getting. I'm okay with some form of effort, but it shouldn't be any worse then crafting a blue, as an example.

Ohoni's Avatar


Ohoni
12.30.2011 , 02:09 AM | #14
Quote:
troopers will unanimously agree to such a system. i saw my whole team assembled in a cutscene and they looked like the power rangers. one was green. one was blue. there was a red guy my chick was in yellow and elara looked like a jedi.
At least yours were individually coordinated. I have a screenshot of my Elara wearing all the best pieces I had available at the time, which meant that she had a yellow helmet, a blue chest, green pants, and red boots.

Quote:
the thing you are missing is that you should only look like the cloths you are wearing,
And the thing that you are missing is that this is completely unnecessary. There's absolutely no reason why we should have to look like what we're wearing. We should look like the clothing we'd like to look like we're wearing, regardless of the stats of the gear we actually have equipped. This is how it works in many other games, like the afore mentioned DCUO, in which practically every level 30 is wearing either full or partial "T1" or "T2" armor, and yet almost none of them have more than a piece or two of it actively visible on their character, with the majority of their visible slots consisting of lower tier gear.

Your argument isn't even internally consistent within the game world, as you can already turn off helmet display, so that my character who runs around without a helmet on still has full helmet stats, and also if one insists that stats must relate to appearance, then it becomes ridiculous to believe that it's possible to "upgrade" a set of spandex pants to have the same armor rating as bulky plate armor, and yet that is exactly what is already possible within the orange armor system.

There is no logical argument that justifies the current system from any sort of "realism" perspective.

Quote:
BW has made it easy for you to maintain the look you want if you want to have a wardrobe then you need to put the work into maintaining it.
Which, if you'll notice, is the central thesis of this thread, ahem. . . Character Appearance should not require effort .

Elyx's Avatar


Elyx
12.30.2011 , 03:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
At least yours were individually coordinated. I have a screenshot of my Elara wearing all the best pieces I had available at the time, which meant that she had a yellow helmet, a blue chest, green pants, and red boots.
You'll have to forgive the reference, but that reminds me of my characters in WoW shortly after I got my first greens way back in BC O.o

illgot's Avatar


illgot
12.30.2011 , 03:50 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by The_Archon View Post
I can't agree here.

You want everyone, regardless of level or skill or time invested, to have any set of gear in the game?
yeah, oh wait, except you still have to find/earn the gear in game and be able to wear it.

The orange customization system is horrible for customizing your appearance and only average for customizing your equipments stats.

-No set bonus

-No augment slots

-No PvP bonus


-Extremely limited (I think bio flat out lied about every green item having an orange compliment).

If you want to be sub par, sure stick with orange gear.

Drebble's Avatar


Drebble
12.30.2011 , 04:00 AM | #17
For me, getting and maintaining my appearance is just more game content to me - a sort of extra set of quests with rewards that suit me 100%, and with no map markers telling me exactly how to do. I probably enjoy gear-hunting as much (or even more) than other game content.

If an appearance tab is going to be implemented (which I hope not), I would prefer that they went all the way - a system that lets everyone pick appearance items freely from all armor pieces in the game, including endgame operations loot. The <i>only</i> limit would be that your character must have the relevant skill ("Heavy Armor" etc).

After all, if your appearance is not what you are wearing, then there really is no point connecting the two at all. Why half *** it, when it can be truly effortless?

illgot's Avatar


illgot
12.30.2011 , 04:03 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Drebble View Post
For me, getting and maintaining my appearance is just more game content to me - a sort of extra set of quests with rewards that suit me 100%, and with no map markers telling me exactly how to do. I probably enjoy gear-hunting as much (or even more) than other game content.

If an appearance tab is going to be implemented (which I hope not), I would prefer that they went all the way - a system that lets everyone pick appearance items freely from all armor pieces in the game, including endgame operations loot. The <i>only</i> limit would be that your character must have the relevant skill ("Heavy Armor" etc).

After all, if your appearance is not what you are wearing, then there really is no point connecting the two at all. Why half *** it, when it can be truly effortless?
Maybe allow players to create a database by equipping armor first but don't just give everyone the ability to pick any model in game.

By having to collect the armor model or actually wear it on an appearance tab, you are helping the economy in multiple ways.

Drebble's Avatar


Drebble
12.30.2011 , 04:07 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
No PvP bonus
There are modifications with the Expertise stat on both torhead and darthhater, so there is a good chance they are in the game.
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
No augment slot
I would assume orange gear has base stats with this in mind.

Drebble's Avatar


Drebble
12.30.2011 , 04:11 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
Maybe allow players to create a database by equipping armor first but don't just give everyone the ability to pick any model in game.
Why not? I'm playing the devils advocate here (I don't want an appearance tab) but if you are going to have it why place restrictions on it? Why make it take effort to get the appearance you want?