Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which of the three tanking ACs is the best?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which of the three tanking ACs is the best?

Galbatorrix
12.29.2011 , 08:38 AM | #1
I want to level a tanking class and I was curious which is preferred by higher level people. I know each of the three (per side) is probably capable, but like anything, I'm sure all have their short comings. I currently have a level 13 Assassin that I was going to level up as a tank, but I started playing a Bounty Hunter last night, and he seems really interesting too.

Anyway, back to my main question. In your experience, which tanking class has been the best when you're running FPs/Operations? Also, can someone who's played all three give me a brief run down on the strengths and weaknesses of each? I know the game is still new, but seeing as there are already a lot of level 50's out there, I figured someone was bound to know.

Thanks!

Tenetke
12.29.2011 , 08:52 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
I want to level a tanking class and I was curious which is preferred by higher level people. I know each of the three (per side) is probably capable, but like anything, I'm sure all have their short comings. I currently have a level 13 Assassin that I was going to level up as a tank, but I started playing a Bounty Hunter last night, and he seems really interesting too.

Anyway, back to my main question. In your experience, which tanking class has been the best when you're running FPs/Operations? Also, can someone who's played all three give me a brief run down on the strengths and weaknesses of each? I know the game is still new, but seeing as there are already a lot of level 50's out there, I figured someone was bound to know.

Thanks!
Trooper/BH without a doubt. I have all three, and there is no comparison between them. Of course it's just my opinion, but there it is. The most fun for me is Con/shadow/kinetic. The worst one out of the three in my opinion is JK. They just don't feel like they were finished. The dps tree for them has arguably better tanking talents than the tanking tree. Which sucks because I was determined to be a JK. They are still playable, and as far as I know they can do all available content.

BH/Trooper high armor, high hp, high dmg translates to high threat, damage reduction on demand, ranged damage helps a ton because in some bosses melee dps will run into range of the melee tank the boss then unleashes an aoe on them that tank will need to avoid yeah this game isn't very kind to melee in general. Great in pvp, I mean absolutely great. Game yesterday went 49 kills 4 deaths around 250k dmg. Just all around great class, the skills fit for the most part. I imagine it's the same with bh, though to be fair my bh never got above level 25.

Shadow/kinetic combat built around high absorption/damage reduction/avoidance. You get a fairly high chance to proc your shield, with increased amounts absorbed through talents. It's fun because procs on the skills mean you need to pay attention, but rewarding because if you do pay attention you can do really good damage. The tanking stance gives you great bonuses, built in aoe. Light armor means you also end up with some of the best looking armor sets too. Double bladed lightsabers are a negative (to me I prefer the jk look, just my preference). Fun class to play, they get speed increases, and abilities to help them. Nice stuns, and stealth for sneaking around (don't ever use it for anything serious) and they have an amazing hybrid build that packs a huge punch, gives you some cool procs, increases damage/self healing/survival. All in all my favorite by far even though I think the bh/trooper is superior.

Jk, My first character. I still feel so disappointed I won't write about him. The defense tree is so messed up. It's not that they need a buff, but for some stupid reason tanking skills were put into the dps tree. In fact the best (imo) tanking skills are there. 20% dmg reduction when you leap in, oh and 20% when you leap to an ally, then you leap back to the mob. Anyway, just a big disappointment. The negatives on the forms are kind of high just for going with a tanking form. You NEED to be higher level to be able to use it really effectively. Again just my opinion.
Try hard is now an insult? At what point did our society degrade so much that trying hard is an insult? What's next? People who perpetuate this idea of "trying hard is a bad thing" are only hurting our society as a whole. They should be removed from it, forcefully if required. You don't randomly allow a cancer to grow, you excise it.

unclekaula
12.29.2011 , 10:07 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenetke View Post
Knowledge
Thanks for that, I was wondering the same question as the OP and I think this answers it.

Galbatorrix
12.29.2011 , 11:26 AM | #4
Thanks for the info Tenetke! I may just play the Assassin to level 25 and try some true flashpoints (TBT is basically a DPS free for all) as a tank and then do the same with the BH.

Though again... the BHs abilities are just so cool looking. Nothing like shooting missles, flame throwers, flying, etc.

Then again, the Assassin gets to be all Darth Maulish....

So hard to choose!

Randkin
12.29.2011 , 11:39 AM | #5
I could wish that the Dark Charge Discharge effect had it's own threat modifier, like Wither-- it doesn't seem like the Assassin gets much on that note, and even Lacerate doesn't really come until mid-game. But I like it despite. It's been fun so far. Havent tried the Bounty Hunter yet....

Galbatorrix
12.29.2011 , 11:41 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Randkin View Post
I could wish that the Dark Charge Discharge effect had it's own threat modifier, like Wither-- it doesn't seem like the Assassin gets much on that note, and even Lacerate doesn't really come until mid-game. But I like it despite. It's been fun so far. Havent tried the Bounty Hunter yet....

As long as you have Dark Charge up, all of your moves cause threat though, right?