Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Periodic damage and force lightning

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
Periodic damage and force lightning

clockworkninja
12.29.2011 , 04:30 AM | #1
Is force lightning considered periodic since it's a channeled dot? Can't figure out if it benefits from the perks or not.

spellegren
12.29.2011 , 07:04 AM | #2
As it is a channeled ability I would say that it is not considered periodic damage. However I have not field tested it, so I suppose it is possible.

fronken
12.29.2011 , 08:09 AM | #3
I've posted like 10 different threads about just this! Information I got was this:

Eventhough by definition it is a Periodic damage ability, it is most likely not intended to count as such. And it does for the moment not consume and benefit from deathmark and the talents above.

Even so it is right now having somewhat of an identity crısis as it does trigger the "paratisism" which clearly says "critical hits with periodic damage abilitys".

After MUCH MUCH consideration i really dont think it will in the end be classed as a periodic damage ability.

But oh how i would've loved it if it was so! going for a madness 28 lightning 13 would be wonderful dps :D

The "name" "periodic damage abilities" is really terrible though and oh how it is misleading!

hopes this helps you a bit! :) please post what builds you would go for and for what reasons if it was counted as or not! just abit curious

Hugs and kisses

ReFlexionn
12.29.2011 , 08:40 AM | #4
periodic dmg = Dot
any skills that u see a bar going to the left = channeling =/= DoT
Baka ka omae wa?

clockworkninja
12.29.2011 , 09:05 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ReFlexionn View Post
periodic dmg = Dot
Thanks Fronken that helps, and look up the definition of periodic bud -- defined as intervals -- channeled spells are intervals.

fronken
12.29.2011 , 09:05 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ReFlexionn View Post
periodic dmg = Dot
DoT = Damage over time = Periodic damage ability.

thats the EXACT same thing with different words and still BY DEFINITION Force lightning would be considered a DoT...

Channeled abilities is by definition DoTs or Periodic damage abilities. thats where the confusion is, We understand that the "trend" is for it to be different types of spells but in this case when it benefits from Paratisism and gets a fancy new name one who knows english starts to wonder.