Love the new Character Selection screen, BUT...

ZeroPlus

...why, oh why, did you change the visible character list from 8 to 6 characters?

I have 8 "active" characters and I've only played for a few hours and it is already annoying to have to switch to the second screen to access 2 of them. I can't even imagine what it must be like for people with 16, or more, characters having to page through 3 pages of characters.

8 was the "sweet spot". With the new limit of 40 characters per server, with 8 you would only have 5 pages. With 6 you have 7 (with only 4 on the 7th page, image the OCD horror ;)).

Please, PLEASE, can you change the visible character list back to 8 characters?

Thank you.

With the new limit of 40 characters per server, with 8 you would only have 5 pages.

Yes, I'm still scratching my head over this. Especially in the context you mention, with *more* possible characters per server than before. "So, we upped the max size of the list, but reduced the number of entries per page." Sound logical... for some strange, *very* strange logic. The only logic I could come up with is "We were changing everything, so we changed this too, just because changing."

• 4 weeks later...

It has been awhile since I first posted this and, to be honest, the new limit of 6 visible characters on the character select screen just hasn't grown on me. :(

Could you please consider changing it back to 8 visible characters?

There really is no reason to not switch it back. There is more than enough space on the right-side of the screen to bring the character selection screen back to 8 visible characters. Not to mention the amount of pages people currently have to page through to find their characters. With the new limit of 40 characters per server this will just get worse.

Please consider changing this back to 8 visible characters.

Agreed, it should be at least 8. Preferably more. I have to mirror the comment about pages too. 8 fit evenly into 40 (5 pages). Now the last page, if I ever get that many characters, doesn't even fill the page. You just have a few character slots that hang off the last page.

I don't even see what they thought they would gain from it. It's not like they're using that extra space for anything. It's just empty space now, with the side effect of making me flip pages all the time now since I regularly log between a set of 8 characters.

Agreed, it should be at least 8. Preferably more. I have to mirror the comment about pages too. 8 fit evenly into 40 (5 pages). Now the last page, if I ever get that many characters, doesn't even fill the page. You just have a few character slots that hang off the last page.

I don't even see what they thought they would gain from it. It's not like they're using that extra space for anything. It's just empty space now, with the side effect of making me flip pages all the time now since I regularly log between a set of 8 characters.

10 chars per page would be ideal. 40 char per server + 10 char per page = 4 pages.

Nice and clean in my book.

I see no reason to change it. It looks great just as it is now. The devs have more important things to do than cater to people who appear to have OCD.

OCD? OCD really has nothing to do with it.

It is an annoying change.

Before 4.0, (since the day the game was launched, I might add), my 8 active characters were all present on the same page. Now I have to keep switching back and forth between the first 2 pages to play with them.

I'm sure the Devs do have more important things to do.

Which begs the question: what about this change from 8 to 6 was so important that they spent the resources on making that change?

It doesn't make any real sense to change it from what it is.

OK. Then what was it that "made real sense" to change it from the 8 visible characters (we had from the start of the game) to the 6 visible characters we have now?

I (and others) aren't asking for something new.

We are asking for it to be changed back to what it was since the game was launched. It was only changed in Patch 4.0 from 8 to 6. No reason for the change was given.

I like the new character selection screen. I really do. The increased view of our characters is really nice!

But the change from 8 visible characters to only 6 makes no real sense. It only seems to waste time.

I've tried to give the change a chance. I hoped the change would "grow on me". It hasn't.

It is as annoying now, (if not more so), as the day it first appeared.

I really wish Bioware would consider changing the list of visible characters back to 8.

It doesn't make any real sense to change it from what it is.

Except as already stated it WAS 8 per page and 4.0 made it 6 per page with no real reason stated for WHY they did it, so all they are asking for is that it be changed back to what it was.

Edited by Anaesha

Except as already stated it WAS 8 per page and 4.0 made it 6 per page with no real reason stated for WHY they did it, so all they are asking for is that it be changed back to what it was.

We have no idea why they did it. To assume it was done for no reason whatsoever (or even worse, just to annoy players) is nonsensical. They did it, that's what matters.

Edited by branmakmuffin

We have no idea why they did it. To assume it was done for no reason whatsoever (or even worse, just to annoy players) is nonsensical. They did it, that's what matters.

They did it without giving a reason for doing it. Hell I don't even remember it being in the patch notes for 4.0.

ah, another ''my personal particular experience has worsened, so pls change for all the others aswell'' QQ thread.

0/10 who cares too irrelevant.

It is in fact a very personal request.

I suppose there are some people who actually enjoy having to page through more pages than they had to a month ago (I doubt it, but they might exist).

Just as I suppose that there are people who aren't affected by this (at this time) because they only have 1 to 6 characters. Who knows how those people will feel once they create their 7th character.

However, the fact remains: up until Patch 4.0 there were 8 visible characters on the character selection screen.

It might be irrelevant. But if so, why was it was arbitrarily changed for everyone to what it is now?

I am all for changes that are meaningful. This change isn't one of them. There is no benefit in going from 8 to 6 visible characters.

All I (and others) are requesting is that the visible character limit be changed back to 8, as it was since the beginning.

It was always weird. On one hand they have f*****g HUGE windows, Galactic Starfighter for example, and on the other hand they have tiny crew team/mission skills windows or new character selection list.

Also, delete character button right below >>> "next page" button. :rolleyes:

Bioware UI design "team"! FTW! :o

Personally speaking, I just assume have all 18 characters on one page. The way the list is now with all the redundant PLAY buttons and over sized insignias, there is more than enough room to do so if some of the fat is trimmed off.

But considering all this stuff takes time and money, I'd be happy with the option to organize the list and an option to turn off moving the recently logged in character to the top of the list.

It was always weird. On one hand they have f*****g HUGE windows, Galactic Starfighter for example, and on the other hand they have tiny crew team/mission skills windows or new character selection list.

Lol true. Whenever my daughter's sitting on my lap she accidentally opens the galactic starfighter window which takes over the screen. The crew mission window however - scrolling for ages to find the right companion for a job because window is so tiny :confused: