An Open Letter to the Devs [Also major spoliers]

MadCatCO

Guys, look, I've been paying for this game for over two years now, I've put probably over a thousand hours, and hundreds of dollars into your game, into enjoying the story, into loving my characters and the npcs.

But the latest dev steam has me really concerned, or maybe not so much concerned as baffled, confused, and really damn frustrated.

While I see the need to keep putting out story content, to keep earning money and have people hold onto their jobs, you ran way off the tracks with the storyline somewhere about the time you decided that we were all going to have to use Vaylin's conditioning (like you literally made a whole class story about that with the IA and yet no choice to say 'hey not gunna do that to another human being').

So let me be blunt.

You guys are doing piss for storytelling.

It is disingenuous at best that you push the open narrative about SWTOR while continuing to funnel all the players into a bottle nose of black or white choices, it is incredibly disheartening as a player who loves both Bioware and Star Wars for you retcon and destroy your own characterization. It is is absolutely ridiculous that you literally have a third galactic power come in at the end of KOTET with a peace-keeping Alliance or the Outlander-Controlled Zakuul, and now you're telling us 'Hey lol, gunna have to side with the Republic or Empire again. Oh and you only get one companion back, regardless of a romance.'

And all of that is even before the datamined info.

You are systematically destroying your own characters and plots for the sake of murder-as-fanservice, you are destroying the bonds and appreciations we have for our characters and our crews for shock value. You are scrapping storylines and developments you made for some new unnecessary twist. You continue to ignore the thousands and thousands of fans with valid concerns and ideas for your storytelling. You already did this by forcing us to pick between Torain and Vette. Why? And don't say its for streamlining the story, its for the ease of the devs and their workload, you all have been in the industry for long enough to know that players would rather wait another month or two for something better than a haphazard throw-together to meet some quarterly goal.

While I'm aware that SWTOR has a huge mix of players, some who like to be social, some who like ops, some who just wanna pvp, many of us are here for the story, many of us were drawn because we were promised Bioware + Star Wars.

SWTOR isn't even canon, you don't have to slide the game back to be on track for the legends lore anymore, and even then its still 2500 years before Bane and the New Republic.

And in before the 'don't like don't play' people, I still love the base game, I still like SoR and Ziost and KOTFE and even KOTET with all the issues I had with it. I still have friends who love what is possible with this game, even as they are disheartened by the newer content. I still have tremendous fun playing with those friends, reimagining the storylines.

So please, by whatever you hold sacred, stop and actually listen to what your players are telling you.

Were saying we want more PVP.

Were saying we want to do more with strongholds.

Were saying we dont care about starfighter.

Were saying we want all our companions back.

Were saying we adore our romances and want more content.

Were begging you give us actual incentive to keep playing this game.

So please, rethink your priorities, rethink your reasoning for why X seems like a good idea.

And stop frigging killing your own characters.

Edited by MadCatCO

Well I guess this is proof that they will get complaints no matter what direction they go in for the main story. I know for a fact that if they don't do a Republic vs Empire story, they would get complaints. I'm certain that if they didn't allow players to kill characters, they would get complaints. Edited by OldVengeance

Yeah, haters gonna hate everything but here's where I get frustrated: There was so much about balance in the Force and co-operation among the factions in KotFE and KotET so far -- and now it's all just pissed away.

The entire game runs on constantly flashing reminders of Dark vs. Light. And now in 5.2 we'll have to choose one faction over the other with Choices That Matter but make no sense.

You know, I wanted new Ops back, too ... but you didn't really have to bring us superweapons at the expense of everything you set us up for these past nearly two years. It feels like getting slapped and you're sitting there in Texas just laughing at us.