Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What role do you mostly set your companion as?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What role do you mostly set your companion as?

FierceJesus
05.15.2019 , 06:57 AM | #1
Hey all, I've recently made my yearly return to SWTOR. Ever since they removed gear stats for companions, I'm almost always ran my comp as a healer and set my character as DPS. Is this the most common way to run missions/heroics with a companion? Every time I've ever really set my comp to DPS we take much more damage and are 2x more likely to die and to be honest I don't think I ever ran a comp as a tank. Just curious what majority of you run.
Click here for my Referral Link
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
"The Force is all things and I am the Force"

istvana
05.15.2019 , 07:56 AM | #2
Healer unless things are very easy in which case DPS to save time.

turlo_lomon
05.15.2019 , 08:24 AM | #3
Depends on my role. I am having quite good success with my sniper when my companion is set to tank. It allows me to really dish out the damage.

My mercenary, I use all three roles depending on where i am at.

My default is healer, though. That is what my other classes use.

Rebamcfan
05.15.2019 , 09:17 AM | #4
I tend to use my companions in their original roles (e.g Vette as DPS, Quinn as healer, Qyzen as tank). But for the most part, I ran with a DPS companion, with myself as DPS too.
"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, arts." -Grand Admiral Thrawn
http://www.swtor.com/r/3d6ZQg If you liked what I posted, feel free to use my Referral link. ^_^

FlameYOL
05.15.2019 , 09:54 AM | #5
It depends, I mostly tend to set my companion as DPS whenever I'm doing dailies. But I set them to heals for some heroics.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

LD_Little_Dragon
05.15.2019 , 10:42 AM | #6
For levelling I have companions set to dps or passive. It's the only way to learn more than your basic abilities.

By endgame for regular open-world I either run with a dps companion, or no companion at all.

For harder content (solo'ing vet/master flashpoints) the comp is usually set to heal while I run as dps.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

JediQuaker
05.15.2019 , 10:53 AM | #7
During solo play I always have my comp set to heals (and I'm always DPS). I've experimented with other setups, but haven't found any real benefit to doing otherwise. If I set my comp to DPS, then the fights go faster, but we have to stop constantly to heal up - so, overall, same time spent.
I never set my companion to tank - in solo PvE there's really no need for a tank.
Note - even when set to heal, the companion can still do some damage when they don't need to heal (which, of course, depends upon the strength of the foes, etc).

Occasionally, during group play - such as in a Flashpoint when someone DCs or quits, and they're replaced by a companion - the companion's role may depend upon the make up of the rest of the group.

Note also that all the companions I use regularly are influence level 50

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

nepochop
05.16.2019 , 12:01 AM | #8
Mostly healer, but when I play a class with selfheals i set them to dps. That means, Merc, Sin and Sage.

Balameb
05.16.2019 , 09:20 AM | #9
Like most people i use healing comp for DPS toons unless too easy content like daylies were DPS+DPS makes things a lot faster.

I also play tanks and while a lot of pople decide to gain max lvl as DPS and then respect to tank, i prefer leveling as tank. For that i use DPS companion. tank toon + healer comp you can render yourself extreamly hard to kill but takes too long for you to kill things. I try to avoid that except for really difficult stuff.
Get 7 days as Sub and some free stuff --> Refferal link

tuulem
05.17.2019 , 05:31 AM | #10
DPS most of the time, doesn't matter what class I'm playing. Not gonna learn to use my cooldowns properly if I'm being babysat through content by a healing comp. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
However, if I'm soloing something I really shouldn't, then they get set to heal..