Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

If you think Blizz is too squishy...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
If you think Blizz is too squishy...

TempestasSilva
01.24.2012 , 11:19 AM | #1
I kind of feel dumb here, but there are probably others of you who this might help.

As a bodyguard healer, I was very happy to get Blizz, my first tank. Gault was great, but a little squishy. I literally ran through the class quests on Hoth to get Blizz. Once I got him, I filled in his open gear slots and then put him to use. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with his squishiness. He really felt like Gault, but with less DPS. So I said meh...and relegated him to tradeskill stuff and continued on with Gault.

Now I am 47 and decided to give him a try because I HATE SKADGE. But while I was looking at Blizz's stats and playing with gear, it was obvious that he was way behind Skadge defensively. It was then that I found my mistake I had screwed up.

So Mako has 2 "stances". Healer and DPS. She is Healer by default and you can swap her to DPS if you want.

Gault has two stances. Sniper (single target) and an AOE stance. He is sniper by default.

When I first used Blizz, I noticed that he had a DPS stance, and it was not selected. BUT, I didn't notice that his "Tank" stance was not selected either!!!

Now that I have selected his Tank stance, he rocks.

TLDR: If you think Blizz is too squishy, make sure he is actually in Tank stance.

Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake. I am sure many of you figured this out on your own. Blizz in good gear tanks great.

penultimatejawa
01.24.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2
I decked him out in full PVP gear too! He can hold his own in group fights and keep me from taking aggro. And the best part is, when the fight is over you can just dismiss and recall in 2 seconds and he's at full health again! (Or if outside, just hop on your speeder and off, even quicker). I've found him to be the quickest to quest with, since there's almost no down time between fights now.

Kunovega
01.24.2012 , 01:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
I kind of feel dumb here, but there are probably others of you who this might help.

As a bodyguard healer, I was very happy to get Blizz. My first tank. Gault was great, but a little squishy.
gault is not a tank by any stretch of the imagination, gault is straight DPS, his only options are single target DPS or AOE DPS, he's also in the worst armor (aside from mako) since he is medium only. gault if properly equipped is the highest dps ive seen from any of our companions

mako is of course our default healer, she makes a mediocre tank unless its vs trash

blizz and torian are your best tanks, blizz has a bit more damage potential, torian holds targets better with more taunt

skadge i dont know, he doesnt seem to function as anything very well

it should also be noted that if you want a tank/healer, the droid if properly equiped is nearly as good a healer as mako, and with higher defense, but he lacks her stun and her dps since he has no main hand options

blizz is probably the easiest to equip since you can give him hand me down weapons, armor on both torian and blizz is easy enough as its both heavy, torian you will have a pain upgrading his weapons
This is not the signature you're looking for... But since you are here, use this link:
http://www.swtor.com/r/Xv5WwL
Get free stuff (mailed to you in game on every character) and a Free Character Transfer!

TempestasSilva
01.24.2012 , 01:48 PM | #4
Sorry, my bad sentance/paragraph composition. the "My First Tank" was supposed to be associated with Blizz, not Gault. I have updated my post so it does not confuse other.

From my experience, Skadge makes a great tank, except he likes to break CCs and make me crap my pants. Its probably an ability I can turn off, but I hate him anyway, so I am not about to spend the time to figure it out.

Question on Torien, does he have a tank stance? I though he was only melee DPS, but I may have missed it like I did with Blizz and can't check until tonight.

Kourage
01.24.2012 , 02:47 PM | #5
I use Skadge on my Arsenal Merc, as a tank.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

HanzoV
01.24.2012 , 03:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
Question on Torien, does he have a tank stance? I though he was only melee DPS, but I may have missed it like I did with Blizz and can't check until tonight.
I'm curious about this, myself. I just made it to Taris, so I should be getting him soon, but from what I've read, he's Melee DPS.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Knoxious
01.24.2012 , 03:49 PM | #7
No, his 2 stances are armor pen and chance to dot on swing but both of them are DPS.
"I'm fairly sure if they took **** off the internet there would only be one website left and it would be called 'Bring back the ****'."

~Perry's Perspective

Ineedmoreletters
01.24.2012 , 04:36 PM | #8
I just used mako to lvl up her heals where enough to keep downtime to nearly zero as I aoed the game down.