I'd love to shake the chap who designed powertech firmly by the throat...

Leyv

ok a little melodramatic but It jumped in my head and made you curious enough to read this :)

I am concerned though...

Ive left off playing my powertech for a while as I had a really bad experiance on the final storyquest then trying to do quests on Ilum..

I would love to get some kind of response about exactly how they tested us in pve...

as Shield tech its a nightmare to fight any kind of healing capable mob , sure we can interupt...but not nearly often enough.

thinking "hey its just me I probably suck" I switched to the middle tree for dps instead believing that a boost in paingiving would sort it out....and its easier..but still a blasted annoying fight....

but..the thing that really made me think whoever tested bounty hunter played a merc....

If you get two silver healing capable mobs toogether , give up...

I tried for 15 minutes (no exageration) with mako healing me and couldnt kill either of them...

Interupt one mob....the other heals him....stun the bugger and hit all cd's for burst dps...they heal ...

I tried it with Blizz.....pretty much the same (only I died faster)

It could just be me..but my "main" is a commando and when getting to the republic version of these fights...."yeah whatever CC! ...splat...splat " nowhere near as difficult, even lacking the interupt ...

anyone got any tips ? I'd love to start playing him again but its such a downer feeling when you face this sort of thing...

*edit* im reading pyrotech might be the best option for dps...id prefer to tank but yeah..gotta get geared :)

Edited by Leyv

You have Torian and Gault as pure DPS Companions for those situations.

Not really the developers fault you aren't using them.

Mobs don't chase after other mobs to heal them. You can LOS one from the other and it makes anything super easy.

Edited by exphryl

You have Torian and Gault as pure DPS Companions for those situations.

Not really the developers fault you aren't using them.

Mobs don't chase after other mobs to heal them. You can LOS one from the other and it makes anything super easy.

hmm i hadnt really considered that ...tbh I've not been using gault or torian , I tend to use blizz in dps spec instead ..but generally theyre both targeting me and ranged..so the los thing ..im not sure..

What the other guy said. Are you referring to the final mission? Or that mission on Ilum that has double healers towards the end?

I did the final mission against the two healers as a Shieldtech and with Mako. It is not the developers, it is you. Yes it is difficult but I think you're either doing it wrong or you need better gear.

On the Ilum mission I just ran past those a-holes and died in the room I needed to be in.

You should have no issues killing a single target healer though. Only the duo's should be giving you trouble. FYI Blizz, even in dps gear is far worse than Gault and Torian. There is a reason he is a tank and the others are dps.

Edited by midnitemonster

I was shield tech and used Mako on that fight. If you grapple one away from the other then stand in between them, you can get them to a range where 1 will shoot at you, and not be in range to heal the other. Then you just have to interrupt the one you are killing.

Cheers.

What the other guy said. Are you referring to the final mission? Or that mission on Ilum that has double healers towards the end?

I did the final mission against the two healers as a Shieldtech and with Mako. It is not the developers, it is you. Yes it is difficult but I think you're either doing it wrong or you need better gear.

On the Ilum mission I just ran past those a-holes and died in the room I needed to be in.

You should have no issues killing a single target healer though. Only the duo's should be giving you trouble. FYI Blizz, even in dps gear is far worse than Gault and Torian. There is a reason he is a tank and the others are dps.

both...with the final storyline fight I had to burn one down and die..and the ilum one I ended up giving up and running past to die..

I guess its a shocker as leveling and up to the point of hitting 50 the class felt versitile , strong and generally gosh damned awesome to play...then It suddenly went to heck...

the idea of grappling them away is good though so thank you ...im so used to rocket jumping in and aoeing as a tank it got ingrained ;)

gear is definatly an issue but thats why im trying to start doing dalies on him ;)

guess i'll have to kit out gault then....remind me does torian use electrostaff or is he amoung the techblade shunned?

Edited by Leyv

Torian uses a Techstaff, which just like the Techsword the best versions are from Armstech on the GTN. (Which highest is roughly Tionese grade...bleh)

Gault is much more easier to gear as he uses wildly available gear and weapons. Plus if you get the extra IA Main hand from raids he can use it! (I am thoroughly depressed only Repubs get Cunning guns on the vendors and mako gets shafted as well)

Torian uses a Techstaff, which just like the Techsword the best versions are from Armstech on the GTN. (Which highest is roughly Tionese grade...bleh)

Gault is much more easier to gear as he uses wildly available gear and weapons. Plus if you get the extra IA Main hand from raids he can use it! (I am thoroughly depressed only Repubs get Cunning guns on the vendors and mako gets shafted as well)

blast I had a feeling he did...oh well gault was more ammusing if I recall anyway ..just a shame ..blizz makes us special :)

blast I had a feeling he did...oh well gault was more ammusing if I recall anyway ..just a shame ..blizz makes us special :)

Blizz is best with the Security Key Customization outfit, and keeping him out clicking on him nonstop so he is always talking.

Yes, I seriously do that while waiting on queue...

Oh, back on topic, one note on gault, he uses some long casts for damage so if you are attacking something it may seem like he has a 3-4 second delay before hitting the target, he's just setting up his Aim Blast.

Edited by exphryl

ok a little melodramatic but It jumped in my head and made you curious enough to read this :)

I am concerned though...

Ive left off playing my powertech for a while as I had a really bad experiance on the final storyquest then trying to do quests on Ilum..

I would love to get some kind of response about exactly how they tested us in pve...

as Shield tech its a nightmare to fight any kind of healing capable mob , sure we can interupt...but not nearly often enough.

thinking "hey its just me I probably suck" I switched to the middle tree for dps instead believing that a boost in paingiving would sort it out....and its easier..but still a blasted annoying fight....

but..the thing that really made me think whoever tested bounty hunter played a merc....

I tried for 15 minutes (no exageration) with mako healing me and couldnt kill either of them...

Interupt one mob....the other heals him....stun the bugger and hit all cd's for burst dps...they heal ...

It could just be me..but my "main" is a commando and when getting to the republic version of these fights...."yeah whatever CC! ...splat...splat " nowhere near as difficult, even lacking the interupt ...

anyone got any tips ? I'd love to start playing him again but its such a downer feeling when you face this sort of thing...

*edit* im reading pyrotech might be the best option for dps...id prefer to tank but yeah..gotta get geared :)

As a tank leveling up you really really need to forget about Mako. I used torian from lvl 32-50. Gault will do the job too. You and your "geared" dps companion will make very quick work of any healer mob without any issues.

PTs are excellent tanks and excellent dps. If that is not enough incentive, how about good tank and dps at the same time in a hybrid spec?

You just need to spend more time learning the ins and outs of the class.

both...with the final storyline fight I had to burn one down and die..and the ilum one I ended up giving up and running past to die..

I guess its a shocker as leveling and up to the point of hitting 50 the class felt versitile , strong and generally gosh damned awesome to play...then It suddenly went to heck...

the idea of grappling them away is good though so thank you ...im so used to rocket jumping in and aoeing as a tank it got ingrained ;)

gear is definatly an issue but thats why im trying to start doing dalies on him ;)

guess i'll have to kit out gault then....remind me does torian use electrostaff or is he amoung the techblade shunned?

Try the Pyro tree with Mako healing if you want to do pure dps. I beat that final storyline fight with 2 healers super easy. Didn't bother cc'ing, just burst one down through it's partners heals.

a class that has 1 viable dps tree i dont really consider excellent dps

but i dont know,powertechs look kinda fun

Since you arent playing one, I suggest you bring one to 50 then revisit this statement. Just be warned, you might never return to your other toon.

Yes we have one viable dps tree that offers excellent damage comparable to any other AC in their best respective dps spec. But that tree also allows for what I consider the best hybrid spec of all classes.

Furthermore having 2 dps trees is the concept of any class, one would be geared more towards pvp and the other pve. With PTs, pyro serves both purposes very well.

Edited by Agooz

I am concerned though...

you just suck as a player period.. I stoped reading with your term shield tech. Powertech tanks has 3 interupts. Not going to list them since you are an elite player and should know better. If you are tank spec you should be taking very little damage period when questing.

you just suck as a player period.. I stoped reading with your term shield tech. Powertech tanks has 3 interupts. Not going to list them since you are an elite player and should know better. If you are tank spec you should be taking very little damage period when questing.

maybe you should have read on then?..that way you wouldnt have missed the entire point of the thread and made yourself look like less of an idiot?..

interupts are little use when theres 2 people healing as you can only generally interupt one of them ..but since people were kind enough to give handy suggestions on how to defeat the fight's earlier in the thread (which worked nicely thank you) i'm just going to ignore your rather pointless comments and let you get back to being uber in your own little world :p

*sighs* I hate these forums sometimes...you get helpful people and then you get trolls..

its like dipping your toe into a stream..sometimes its spring water..sometimes like the above post its sewerage.

Edited by Leyv

Stopped reading there. As shield tech you have the following interrupts:

Quell - 8/6 seconds cd

Jet Charge - 15 seconds cd

Grapple - 45/30 seconds cd

Electro Dart - 60/50 seconds cd

Carbonize - 45 seconds cd

More than enough interrupts for everything. If you really want to you can have another one with Mako's carbonize stream.

Edited by AetherMcLoud

Shieldtech should never need anything other than mako. She can dps, heal, and cc on the fly. Most of the time you don't even have to think about the fight. Blizz is awesome but not meant for a tank player.

leveled exclusively as ST with mako. no issues ever. of course many combinations are viable.

the supreme guard healers, i had her cc one, and burned/interrupted the other myself. very easy. of course the first 2 attempts i just tried to bull my way through it and got frustrated. quell, the dart stun, back up a few steps and jet charge, etc.

I am thoroughly depressed only Repubs get Cunning guns on the vendors and mako gets shafted as well

You can re-mod the BH pistols with cunning mods for Mako. It takes a little more work, but you typically can get her a fully moddable weapon pretty quick.

For that fight, use LOS, interrupts, jet charge, grapple, stun, aoe stun. Alternate interrupts with other forms of interrupts listed above and it's more than doable. Just takes some creative thinking.

For that fight, use LOS, interrupts, jet charge, grapple, stun, aoe stun. Alternate interrupts with other forms of interrupts listed above and it's more than doable. Just takes some creative thinking.

Or you can just use torian or gault and make it much easier on yourself.

You can re-mod the BH pistols with cunning mods for Mako. It takes a little more work, but you typically can get her a fully moddable weapon pretty quick.

True. I just never have Mako actually ever attack anything so would perfer the higher cunning :D

Edited by exphryl

*sighs* I hate these forums sometimes...you get helpful people and then you get trolls..

its like dipping your toe into a stream..sometimes its spring water..sometimes like the above post its sewerage.

Yep, but you did rather set yourself up to get trolled with such a melodramatic subject line. What sort of reader did you think you were going to attract by saying you wanted to throttle the devs? If you want a quality discussion you have to set things up properly and not use hyperbole.

Anyway, I agree about that storyline encounter. It is very poorly designed for Powertech, especially shield tech. Shield tech lacks the dps to burst anything down and it is almost impossible to keep two cross-healing mobs interupted given the frequency with which most healing mobs attempt to heal. Even if you do try to dance between them, the cooldowns on the interupts are too long and you can't prevent enough of the heals. That whole encounter seems set up for Mercenary with their crowd control and no real thought was given to how a Powertech would tackle it. Seems the devs are as guilty as the wider playerbase of making the constant assumption that Bounty Hunter = Mercenary.

I eventually completed that encounter by wedging myself into a corner to avoid the constant knockbacks and this seemed to encourage one of the two commando mobs to move out of the heal range of the other. More by luck than any pre-conceived plan I have to admit.