Yesterday's Patch Issue

JWild

This is frankly ridiculous, I mean a patch leaking, mistake - whatever. But then lying to us and telling us it'd be fine tomorrow? When in actuality I now have to wait god knows how many hours for the game to re-download everything? If I don't receive some kind of compensation for the 2 days of play time that I've now lost because of them I'm cancelling my subscription.

We completely understand your frustration - we're frustrated too. We were given incorrect information and we relayed that to you in error. All we can do right now is apologize.

I want to be clear that no-one intentionally lied; the messaging was a mistake, but one that compounded our earlier mistake, and that's unacceptable.

If you haven't seen, I have updated our original thread with revised instructions. As you probably realize, your options at this point are to either let the client complete a full download, or re-install from physical DVDs. Re-installing should reduce your download size considerably.

There are still discussions ongoing about this issue, and I'll update you when I have more to share.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We completely understand your frustration - we're frustrated too. We were given incorrect information and we relayed that to you in error. All we can do right now is apologize.

I want to be clear that no-one intentionally lied; the messaging was a mistake, but one that compounded our earlier mistake, and that's unacceptable.

If you haven't seen, I have updated our original thread with revised instructions. As you probably realize, your options at this point are to either let the client complete a full download, or re-install from physical DVDs. Re-installing should reduce your download size considerably.

There are still discussions ongoing about this issue, and I'll update you when I have more to share.

Hey Stephen, I know you aren't the one to make this call, but this is definitely something worth crediting people's accounts with. People affected by this (I was not one of them) should get a 2-day credit to their subscription because this was a mistake on Bioware's part that these people could not avoid.

Hopefully you can convince the higher-ups to allow this credit because I think we all know it's the right thing to do.

No, you don't "understand" our frustration. You are sitting in your cubicle earning your salary as usual, while we are PAYING for that salary with "hopes" of actually getting to use your product.

All you can do is apologize?! Are you kidding me?! Your fail cost us 2 days of Gaming play.. It mean you literally steal money from us for 2 days. I even don't talk about donwload caps from ISP.... And you just APOLOGIZE?! Sent a few people to CS of Blizzard... really.. you will learn a LOT from these guys...

Atleast when they do mistake they apologize and give paying customer something in return... But YOU and YOUR <insert any heavy insult> EA screw EVERYONE anytime they want... Dragon Age 2,ME3 now SW-TOR...

Congratulation... Guys from Bioware.. Leave EA... they pulling you down...

Edited by SpiddeR

Agree! BW needs to step up and compensate us for time lost - they're getting our money and we're not getting product. They're basically taking our money and we're not getting anything in return. Free day of play or some kind of nice in game fluff :)

So what about it BW admin Compensation is due as at present my game does not do what it says on the tin . I have lost out on 2 days play time which I subscribed for through no fault of my own - in fact the blame lies firmly in your corner.

Are you going to do something right for "the small minority" ( How many were effected anyways? )

Looking forward to an answer

All you can do is apologize?! Are you kidding me?! Your fail cost us 2 days of Gaming play.. It mean you literally steal money from us for 2 days. I even don't talk about donwload caps from ISP.... And you just APOLOGIZE?! Sent a few people to CS of Blizzard... really.. you will learn a LOT from these guys...

Atleast when they do mistake they apologize and give paying customer something in return... But YOU and YOUR F*****G EA screw EVERYONE anytime they want... Dragon Age 2,ME3 now SW-TOR...

Congratulation... Guys from Bioware.. Leave EA... they pulling you down...

He did say they are still discussing the issue internally and will update when they have more information. Show a little patience. Even IF you weren't able to play for a full 48 hours (which isn't the case, it's actually only been less than 24 hours), you know how much they "stole" from you? $1.

I agree that people should be credited a couple days worth of playtime, but be respectful about it.

Does anyone have this problem?

Re-installed, downloaded patches, unsure if 1.2 was included, insert login credentials, get asked if pst or retail login is desired, choose retail, click play, crash to desktop.

What the ACTUAL ****

Stephen, man I feel bad for you because I've had to do very similar tasks at times, that is, defending the sometime incompetence of the company I work for. Whether its the DEV or QA totally fubaring something up or the Sales guy overselling and over promising or a number of other things that can and will go wrong.

It just seem like the lack of professionalism at BW is a bit rampant. It could be addressed with good leadership that has vision but also forethought. So I don't blame you or the dev guys, I blame management for mishandling the past 2 days worth of significant and public facing fiascoes.

How long can you apologize for your company and still make it mean something?

/my 2cp

I understand that mistakes happen, and I also understand that many times it helps if one steps back and looks at situations with some perspective. Personally, I feel the best way for Bioware to respond would be to send out a free SWTOR DVD installer to those affected so--for those of us that bought the digital version of the game--we're spared having to re-download the full game in the chance that something like this should happen again.

Guys and gals, I know we're all frustrated -- frankly I'm not going to resub after this month -- but it's not the CM's faults. They're just the filter between the developers/server crew/etc. and the community. They were told that waiting for the servers to update would be a solution, so they relayed that information. The CM's can do nothing but apologize because they don't have any other real power other than writing on the forums and relaying feedback. Until the devs/management/whoever comes up with a solution or compensation, their hands are tied.

Trust me when I say Stephen Reid and the rest of the CM team have some very choice words, and possibly a chainsaw to the face, for the people responsible for this. (Remember, now they have to find some way to assuage us -- impossible without action from higher up -- and deal with all the 1.2 crap. And they get to look like the bad guys because of their jobs.)

Stephen, I was one of the active voices on the other thread started by jerseyiii who isn't happy with the situation. That said, I do believe you and Allison Berryman were acting in good faith based on what you were told by technical personnel. So, I'm not upset at you two at all. I appreciate what the community team has been doing.

That said, people were making decisions based on the information being relayed. So please let whoever is your boss know that so compensation would be seriously consider rather than dismissed.

As for us affected players, try not to shoot the messengers. The fact is we rely on them to relay our views to BioWare. Maybe we can't expect them to go to bat for us, but we certainly hope they will at least convey our sentiments.

In the meantime, I highly recommend keeping this thread active and also submit individual e-mails to BioWare at support@swtor.com to CIVILLY explain what you think should be done.

I will leave the decision up to BW over compensation (Though personally speaking, while it is a bother that I haven’t been able to play I don’t really feel I need to be compensated £1 or so for it.) I am just wondering though, if they do decide to compensate players as so many people are asking for, would BW even be able to tell who has this downloading problem?

The response is appreciated. But bear in mind that not everyone purchased DVD copies of the game, and most don't have exceptionally fast internet services. I understand there is nothing you nor I can do to resolve the issue, aside from waiting for the download to finish.

At the moment I am going to be missing out on at least 36 hours of access to the game due to this patching issue - and I am one of the luckier ones who doesn't have a limit on their monthly bandwidth. I missed out on 2 raid nights, one will be tonight where my guild will do Explosive Conflict without me, which is quite frustrating.

People are calling for compensation - I don't really know what can be done. I feel that 2 days of added game time would be expected, but at the end of the day that's just £0.50 in my currency - really nothing worth arguing about. I'm sure something can be thought up to restore the faith in the team behind patches, etc. and the faith in SWtoR as a whole.

By the way, on a fairly unrelated note, I think you do a great job keeping vocal within the community to explain and inform us of things through reddit, twitter and these forums. Keep it up (I know you will because it's your job but I'll say it anyway).

I will leave the decision up to BW over compensation (Though personally speaking, while it is a bother that I haven’t been able to play I don’t really feel I need to be compensated £1 or so for it.) I am just wondering though, if they do decide to compensate players as so many people are asking for, would BW even be able to tell who has this downloading problem?

You make a good point about how BioWare could identify the affect players. Their statement that only a "small number" of players were affected (doubt that since it was EU prime time) suggest they possibly couldn't tell, but who knows.

Given the bad response that 1.2 has generated due to both the patch issue and the whole PvP thing, perhaps BioWare might issue some sort of blanket olive branch for everyone?

Anyway, I've submitted an individual e-mail requesting compensation. I expect they may just ask people to do that and rely on an honor system of sorts.

I spent an hour researching this exact issue yesterday to decided whether to download the client again yesterday to avoid having to do it today. I read in three different threads stating no, its fine. Now I have to waste most of the day today, which I took off from work, to reinstall the entire game which I could of done yesterday. Fustrating and very, very unprofessional.

I would also suggest everyone affected to email support@swtor.com, I believe that might be the only way they know who is affected...I seriously doubt they keep any sort of logging or accounting about which accounts/ip's download a certain patch.

Seriously, people with physical DVD's

are you too crashing to your desktop after launch?

Havent got that far yet mate. I'm reinstalling from disc, but the question you have asked reminded me of my initial insatll from game when the game came out. There was an issue with the disc versions not matching up with the launcher or something, I lost 2 or 3 days from launch until i read a user solution on this forum.

If i remember correctly, I got the discs to launch the game correctly something like this.

when u get to launch sign in, change the language preference to french or german. When i did this before it prompted the launcher to patch a further small file. You will know if this is a solution quickly as you will see more data coming in. Flip your language back to english and hey presto it might be working again.

Im expecting a similar issue when this install finishes. It's fine using discs (I too lost yesterdays game play) but there is still a huge file to download after and at 180k download speed it is painful.

If this suggestion works - post an update here for others - cheers.

Should have purchased a physical copy. ;D

I have the physical disks...and they don't work. To use the early run of CE DVDs, you have to make alternate directories, rename files, manually alter permissions, rename files again, start the download over (because the launcher on the disks doesn't work), then repair, and rename the final directory. Yeah, the physical disks are so much better.

Edited by Zosimah

I have the same problem as many here. Now I have to load 11 gigobayt client. I am extremely displeased with services Bioware because the download speed dropped to 200kb/sek. At the same time, my friend downloaded the patch at 2mb/sek So I lost 2 games of the day (no problem) and the ability to enter into a new raid dungeon with her until Tuesday (very big problem. Lost 5 days prior to the upgrade). I wonder what will compensate for the loss of gaming associated with the inability to get into the game

Havent got that far yet mate. I'm reinstalling from disc, but the question you have asked reminded me of my initial insatll from game when the game came out. There was an issue with the disc versions not matching up with the launcher or something, I lost 2 or 3 days from launch until i read a user solution on this forum.

If i remember correctly, I got the discs to launch the game correctly something like this.

when u get to launch sign in, change the language preference to french or german. When i did this before it prompted the launcher to patch a further small file. You will know if this is a solution quickly as you will see more data coming in. Flip your language back to english and hey presto it might be working again.

Im expecting a similar issue when this install finishes. It's fine using discs (I too lost yesterdays game play) but there is still a huge file to download after and at 180k download speed it is painful.

If this suggestion works - post an update here for others - cheers.

Thank you for this suggestion

I changed the language to german, this initiated a download of something called "German video 1" 1.80 GB download. Canceled this and launched in english, crash. I'm lost.

You can also use a shadow copy (aka previous version) of the entire swtor folder and only have to patch todays patch.

You can copy the game from another computer (or another drive) onto your existing one and it just works.

Unfortunately bioware missed the easiest solution here, which is vista and 7 potentially still having 'old' versions of the files hanging out. Probably from last tuesday/wednesday, which are good enough.

for users effected by this (not me) they should be giving a free month. 40 gigs of downloading can pretty easily hit 20 bucks in overcharges, and it's their own bloody fault.

You can also use a shadow copy (aka previous version) of the entire swtor folder and only have to patch todays patch.

You can copy the game from another computer (or another drive) onto your existing one and it just works.

Unfortunately bioware missed the easiest solution here, which is vista and 7 potentially still having 'old' versions of the files hanging out. Probably from last tuesday/wednesday, which are good enough.

for users effected by this (not me) they should be giving a free month. 40 gigs of downloading can pretty easily hit 20 bucks in overcharges, and it's their own bloody fault.

Already tried system restore, previous versions, etc. to no avail. I don't have multiple computers with the game installed, and when I tried previous version it only gave me one option, which was for yesterday around the time the 12GB download started, i.e. no use.

If anything, I will take from this the importance of backing up game files for SWTOR.