Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit? An answer from a DEV would be appreciated.

Joonbeams
06.18.2019 , 01:56 PM | #21
This question has been answered by the devs before (assuming this is even a serious thread and not some intentionally cute troll thread). It's really pretty simple - they've already said "No". And it goes to the definition of what an exploit is:

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I am seeing a few questions in the thread about "what constitutes an exploit" and things along those lines. First, you don't need to have concerns about simply playing the game. Earning a lot of CXP is in no way an exploit. Play and earn CXP as much as you want, you won't be punished for that.

As for the question of what is an exploit, it is really quite simple. Play the game/content as it was intended and there is no risk. If you are playing through content in a way that was not intended, it can be considered an exploit and subject to investigation/action.

The reason that we put out this messaging is that we know players are going to want to push the boundaries to gain CXP as fast as possible, and we are totally ok with that. I just wanted to caution how you go about those gains and should you find a way to gain CXP that goes around intended mechanics, it could be an exploit. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is, report it to us so we can see if there is an issue.

-eric
Farming and milking XP isn't, and hasn't ever been an exploit so long as you're simply playing the game they way it's intended. I know someone will try to get super cute on "what does 'intended' mean?" Don't do that. There's no future in that, and I don't feel like wasting (any more) time even dealing with that...

robertthebard
06.18.2019 , 02:29 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
The edges of "exploit" are a bit fuzzy (and we are in danger of getting into a pointless argument about definitions), but in the context here, it's clear that OP means the "bannable thing" type of exploit, and it's equally clear that this thing is *not* a bannable thing, and it's equally equally clear that they aren't going to offer a definitive "no it isn't".
Probably, but we're in actual agreement about the "severity". It's really not worth the time it takes to type about it. What it essentially is importing Korean Grinder mechanics into swtor, and I got enough of those actually playing Korean Grinders. I haven't done this, ever, other than I have done the heroics, solo, and I wouldn't care if they never "fixed" it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

TheMubarak
06.23.2019 , 06:00 AM | #23
Players can only give opinions. An opinion isn't a definitive answer. An opinion is speculative. Only a DEV aka Developer can give an accurate assessment of the question. We can speculate or assume what a DEV answer would be until the end of time. It's a simple question with likely a simple answer. Yet no DEV has chimed in on it.

Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit?

Yes? No? Other?

Explain? (If it requires a further explanation.)

I'm getting tons of "opinions" from players. All are speculative. No DEV explanation to date has been a clear and decisive answer to this question. All "answers" have danced around the subject and have offered nothing clear and direct as an answer.

They have not said "It is" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "nerfing it" (which is what they do to exploits).
They haven't said "it isn't" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "Nerfing" this ability. (Which is what they do to exploits.)

I'm pretty much scrolling past all opinions. I'll read anything that has a legit Bioware tag on it that's from a DEV. And that's all I'm going to read.

I do know that at a certain point, this will all be irrelevant because they have stated they are "fixing" this and more "fixes" are coming to it.

For something that's argued that it's "not an exploit" so much in-game and here. The DEVS are working on a repair for it. Which to me speaks volumes, even if the DEVs won't.

MorseGod
06.23.2019 , 06:07 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMubarak View Post
Players can only give opinions. An opinion isn't a definitive answer. An opinion is speculative. Only a DEV aka Developer can give an accurate assessment of the question. We can speculate or assume what a DEV answer would be until the end of time. It's a simple question with likely a simple answer. Yet no DEV has chimed in on it.

Is "Bug Hunt" an exploit?

Yes? No? Other?

Explain? (If it requires a further explanation.)

I'm getting tons of "opinions" from players. All are speculative. No DEV explanation to date has been a clear and decisive answer to this question. All "answers" have danced around the subject and have offered nothing clear and direct as an answer.

They have not said "It is" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "nerfing it" (which is what they do to exploits).
They haven't said "it isn't" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "Nerfing" this ability. (Which is what they do to exploits.)

I'm pretty much scrolling past all opinions. I'll read anything that has a legit Bioware tag on it that's from a DEV. And that's all I'm going to read.

I do know that at a certain point, this will all be irrelevant because they have stated they are "fixing" this and more "fixes" are coming to it.

For something that's argued that it's "not an exploit" so much in-game and here. The DEVS are working on a repair for it. Which to me speaks volumes, even if the DEVs won't.
And if you don't get what you want, will you hold your breath until you pass out? Stop being a petulant child.

Who the hell cares anymore? They nerfed it. Big deal. If it had been an exploit, they'd currently be looking for all the folks who used it pre-nerf and taking action. If they aren't coming after you, then get the hell over it, man.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

Joonbeams
06.23.2019 , 10:53 AM | #25
...They have not said "It is" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "nerfing it" (which is what they do to exploits).
They haven't said "it isn't" an exploit, yet they're "fixing" or "Nerfing" this ability. (Which is what they do to exploits.)...
The syllogism above: exploits get nerfed, Bug Hunt was nerfed, therefore Bug Hunt is an exploit

They "nerfed"/"fixed" operatives recent patch, so operatives were an exploit? You can't really expect this logic to be taken seriously...

I don't think you actually are reading the "legit Bioware tag" posts. Is it because they didn't grace you with one here? Because if you were reading the gold posts, you would see that your question, literally, and in specific detail, has been answered by the devs -- officially. There isn't even a shred, not a scintilla, of ambiguity on that. Your exact question, as asked, has already been answered by the devs...

Sinhammer
06.23.2019 , 01:12 PM | #26
The forum team does a pretty good job of scrubbing any details about an exploit from the forums. The fact there's been a billion threads over the years--and they're still up--about the bug/imp hunt should tell you it wasn't an exploit.
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.
----Darth Wolfhammer Hellstorm of Star Forge----

TheMubarak
06.23.2019 , 05:18 PM | #27
More opinions, no clarifications.

fushnchips
06.23.2019 , 06:02 PM | #28
More opinions, no clarifications.
It's not an exploit and posting and asking about exploits on the forums is wrong path to take I would have sent Eric Musco a personal Email you might get a reply that way.
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

MadDutchman
06.23.2019 , 06:12 PM | #29
Guys, please stop feeding the troll. There is nothing more to advance in this thread
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Visorknight
06.23.2019 , 11:43 PM | #30
The only "exploit" right now that needs fixing is when a guild uses kill bots to gain farm tons of conquest points per kills. This is an issue that still need to be addressed as it deprives non cheating guilds a chance to win planets the right way. A system detection for such cheats needs to be enforced asap as conquest is a very important part of game right now.