Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bug hunt XP Nerf?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

olagatonjedi
06.18.2019 , 07:33 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
There's no abuse. It's as if the devs suddenly decide after 3-ish years that we are using the Double XP event TOO efficiently...?

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to nerf "account sellers." But I'm not sure there's much of a market for that these days with out dwindled player numbers.
Thats poor logic. There are only a finite number of hours in the day the NEW devs can work on creating new content, learning the old, poorly written code, and foxing bugs or features they dont feel belong in their game. Just because something was put into the game in the past by different devs, who had a different goal and/or vision, doesnt mean the devs that follow will feel the same way. See conquest, see companions, see content updates, etc etc. None of those changes happened on day 1 of the new devs being hired. It takes resources to make changes, and there are different challenges based on the change that is being planned. Personally, i think 6.0 is their "baby" as they have had a chance to really fix and hone a lot of the systems that they didnt agree with, and now it will be their big chapter that they have had substantial time to truly develop with the different systems in place that they intended. Some players are just unwilling to understand that the devs made the change because they felt it was a needed change, and had the means/resources to do it at this time. It still doesnt prevent any of the players from achieving the ultimate goal of getting to level 70, though.

olagatonjedi
06.18.2019 , 07:44 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundertrain View Post
Bug Hunts were full, in multiple groups, every single double XP week. I've never seen a Bug Hunt group happen without double XP being in effect. Since the changes were made at the same time that double XP went live, how do you reason that tons of players would suddenly start using it without double XP?

Making a change without telling anyone is not, in any way, a form of communication. If the state that you lived in changed a law to force you to renew the registration on your car every month, but didn't tell you about it, and showed up six months later while you were at work and just took your "unregistered" car away, how would you feel? Like the state effectively communicated the change in the law by taking you car?
Ever heard the famous saying, "its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"? Its true in many facets of life. This change is a perfect example. They addressed the change after the fact, but its not as though it wouldve been overlooked, and telling someone ahead of time wouldnt have changed anything anyways, so there really was no need. Ask yourself - would you have respected them more for telling you, or would you still be crying about the change? Anyone can see your passion is far more about the change itself than the way it came about. They would've gained nothing by alerting players of the change prior to its release. Thats obvious.

Rion_Starkiller
06.18.2019 , 08:47 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Thats poor logic. There are only a finite number of hours in the day the NEW devs can work on creating new content, learning the old, poorly written code, and foxing bugs or features they dont feel belong in their game. Just because something was put into the game in the past by different devs, who had a different goal and/or vision, doesnt mean the devs that follow will feel the same way. See conquest, see companions, see content updates, etc etc. None of those changes happened on day 1 of the new devs being hired. It takes resources to make changes, and there are different challenges based on the change that is being planned. Personally, i think 6.0 is their "baby" as they have had a chance to really fix and hone a lot of the systems that they didnt agree with, and now it will be their big chapter that they have had substantial time to truly develop with the different systems in place that they intended. Some players are just unwilling to understand that the devs made the change because they felt it was a needed change, and had the means/resources to do it at this time. It still doesnt prevent any of the players from achieving the ultimate goal of getting to level 70, though.
Are you suggesting Keith fired the whole team when he took over? That would be strange since the issues seems to stem from management/Irving decisions that brought the game into state it was in in 5.0.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

AscendingSky
06.18.2019 , 09:18 AM | #114
Remember when Eric Musco swore to us that if a patch made a change that wasn't documented in the patch notes, that it was unintended and a bug? Pepperidge Farm remembers!

Jokes aside, I understand why they did this, now that they've tied gaining Conquest points to gaining XP/CXP points. I'm not bothered by the change personally. It seems reasonable enough to me. However, comma... we keep being promised that the devs won't make stealth nerfs to the game, and yet they keep happening over and over and over again. Some such stealth nerfs are claimed to be "unintended" yet they never get fixed to EA's advantage (like how the mission for completing a Conquest for the first time on a toon stopped giving a Chance Cube like a year ago). You can't build trust this way. At this rate Keith and company will never get mine back.
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

robertthebard
06.18.2019 , 09:33 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
Remember when Eric Musco swore to us that if a patch made a change that wasn't documented in the patch notes, that it was unintended and a bug? Pepperidge Farm remembers!

Jokes aside, I understand why they did this, now that they've tied gaining Conquest points to gaining XP/CXP points. I'm not bothered by the change personally. It seems reasonable enough to me. However, comma... we keep being promised that the devs won't make stealth nerfs to the game, and yet they keep happening over and over and over again. Some such stealth nerfs are claimed to be "unintended" yet they never get fixed to EA's advantage (like how the mission for completing a Conquest for the first time on a toon stopped giving a Chance Cube like a year ago). You can't build trust this way. At this rate Keith and company will never get mine back.
The only thing that would have changed about this thread if they'd announced it beforehand is that there wouldn't be any references to not being told before hand. Other than that, most of these posts would appear verbatim. It's a classic Catch 22.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

Thundertrain
06.18.2019 , 12:24 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Ever heard the famous saying, "its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"? Its true in many facets of life. This change is a perfect example. They addressed the change after the fact, but its not as though it wouldve been overlooked, and telling someone ahead of time wouldnt have changed anything anyways, so there really was no need. Ask yourself - would you have respected them more for telling you, or would you still be crying about the change? Anyone can see your passion is far more about the change itself than the way it came about. They would've gained nothing by alerting players of the change prior to its release. Thats obvious.
I'm curious as to how you draw your conclusion that I'm more upset about the change than the lack of communication when both of my posts specifically state the opposite. I did the Bug Hunt once, specifically because I found the class I was playing tedious and wanted to see if it was better with more skills at a higher level. Won't miss it at all now that it's gone, and I totally understand why they made the changes they made to it. (Fairly certain that will be the third time I've typed that.)

I guess they don't really have to tell us anything, so we should just thank our lucky stars that Keith poked his head into this thread to address the change, right? When they have a self-stated goal on improving communication, it seems to me that skipping opportunities to do so for no apparent reason are hypocritical. What they would have gained by alerting players in advance of the change is a little bit of trust that they are following through on improving communication. Picture this in the patch notes:
  • Using the "Question of Motivation" area on Balmorra for XP farming (a.k.a. - The Bug Hunt) has caused some issues with Conquest XP accumulation. As such, we have adjusted the XP amounts in this area down for large groups.

Specific problem, reason for change, everyone knows it's coming, so no one is left wondering why a change was made without any notice. Even something a year or so ago to the effect of: "We know people are using that area on Balmorra for XP farming. It's something we're looking into correcting in a future update." Good enough. I absolutely would have respected them more for telling us in advance.

olagatonjedi
06.18.2019 , 05:27 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Are you suggesting Keith fired the whole team when he took over? That would be strange since the issues seems to stem from management/Irving decisions that brought the game into state it was in in 5.0.
The majority of the issues this game has are from dev teams that are no longer part of the team.