Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Transgender Representation in Swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Transgender Representation in Swtor

that_Spartan_IV
07.15.2019 , 04:55 AM | #31
Why? Just play as the gender you want. If you want your character to be trans, roleplay them as such, if someone doesn't like it, don't RP with them or put them on your ignore list. We don't need to know the sexuality or mental condition of random NPC's.
"Two there should be, no more, no less."

Shayddow
07.16.2019 , 07:04 PM | #32
Frankly, I don't care what gender a character is.
I just want to
1. Save the galaxy (if playing LS Jedi) or:
2. Control the galaxy (if playing DS Sith).

In the words of the Borg: "Gender is irrelevant. You will be assimilated..."

(I know. Pleads guilty to " Inserting a Trek reference into a StarWars game....".)

Although I WOULD like to see some of the clothes that are supposed to be available to specific genders be available to both genders... I've always wanted to put Skadge in a dancing girl costume...
Shekkel,70 Nimrossa, 70 |Ebon Hawk
Shassella, 70 Barzella, 70 | Begeran
Adonnah, 70 Kydosh, 70 |Harbinger
Tashha, 70 Svgon, 70

FlameYOL
07.16.2019 , 09:01 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Shayddow View Post
Although I WOULD like to see some of the clothes that are supposed to be available to specific genders be available to both genders... I've always wanted to put Skadge in a dancing girl costume...
Now that's just nasty.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Rion_Starkiller
07.19.2019 , 12:10 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by that_Spartan_IV View Post
Why? Just play as the gender you want. If you want your character to be trans, roleplay them as such, if someone doesn't like it, don't RP with them or put them on your ignore list. We don't need to know the sexuality or mental condition of random NPC's.
Probably because of pronouns
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie and Solo Ranked Forum PvP (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

casirabit
07.19.2019 , 02:03 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Probably because of pronouns
Why would that matter? I been called guy or some other male pronoun since I started playing MMO's. As people said they don't know unless you tell them. I don't see this as any different. You don't let it bother you especially since 90% you will not see them again.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

RookStryfe
07.19.2019 , 06:22 PM | #36
They need to add a tickbox in the general options so when I am talking to another male I don't see the option of flirt.

ceryxp
07.19.2019 , 06:30 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by RookStryfe View Post
They need to add a tickbox in the general options so when I am talking to another male I don't see the option of flirt.
Sure, but only if I get the option to turn off all opposite sex flirts. Hey, and while we're at it, I also want an option to turn off all dark/light side dialogue options since they don't apply to my pure dark/light side characters. Or, ya know, you could just ignore the options that don't apply to you like I've been doing since 2012.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Mubrak
07.20.2019 , 01:41 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by EvanSnowWolf View Post
I mean, with the technology available in Star Wars I doubt there are any trans people as we know them at all. You can probably pay someone a truckload of credits and undergo a complete and total gender change down to the cellular level. It'd entirely skip the middleman of trans culture. You'd just have some 14 year old girl with body dysmoprhia and a week later he's a 14 year old boy.
That's transsexuality, "born in the wrong body". As you wrote, that should be no issue at all.

But there are also genetic variants (additional chromosome XXY, varying chromosomes in the cells XX+XY, XXY+XY) and hormonal causes where babies are born with characteristics of both genders. The number of people with such "anomalies" is quite high (around 1:5000) for something that isn't supposed to exist, even according to "science" cited in a forum full of rather open-minded nerds.

All the things that were done in the past to hush up the issue (from drowning the baby and burning the mother and/or midwife on the stake, over locking them away in monasteries, to surgically correcting "nature's mistake" right after birth) maintained a society where that what cannot be doesn't seem to exist.

This shouldn't be a thing in the Star Wars universe, where even the most reactiionary jerks have too many alien "freaks" around them to care about whether a member of their own species belongs to one of the common gender variants. Without discrimination or even outright denial of their very existence, being biologically not 100% pure male or female in the Star Wars universe should bear no resemblance to the situation in our world.
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

buddydogputin
07.20.2019 , 07:09 AM | #39
But its a controversial issue in our world, so BW should stay away from it to not divide fans and hurt subscriptions

ceryxp
07.20.2019 , 08:11 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
That's transsexuality, "born in the wrong body". As you wrote, that should be no issue at all.

But there are also genetic variants (additional chromosome XXY, varying chromosomes in the cells XX+XY, XXY+XY) and hormonal causes where babies are born with characteristics of both genders. The number of people with such "anomalies" is quite high (around 1:5000) for something that isn't supposed to exist, even according to "science" cited in a forum full of rather open-minded nerds.
Minor correction. What you are talking about are intersex conditions, which can cause irregularities in sexual characteristics, such as Klinefelter Syndrome (47, XXY) that can cause gynecomastia in males, but does not, necessarily, affect gender. Sex is biological and is largely dictated by chromosomes. Further, the rate of intersexuality is a lot higher than 1:5000. Current estimates indicate that one in 1,666 births diverge from the typical 46, XX / 46, XY binary as published by Anne Fausto-Sterling of Brown University.

Gender is more complex than one's chromosomes. There are one's gender identity, their gender expression, and gender roles. Gender identity is all in the brain and it is how you see yourself. Brain imaging has shown there are structural differences between cisgender and transgender individuals of the same sex. Structurally, a trans-woman's brain is more similar to that of a cis-female than a cis-male, but it is not correct to say that a trans-woman is a female brain in a male body. Much more research is needed, but a link between genes and transgenderism (the state of being transgender) is becoming more evident. Which, of course, completely destroys all those "because science" arguments.

For completeness, gender expression is how one chooses to express themselves to the world. It's the clothes they wear, how they style their hair, etc. One's gender expression does not have to align with their identity and how one chooses to express themselves can change over time. Gender roles are purely societal. It's the thing that says blue is a boys colour and pink is a girls colour even though a century ago pink was considered a "masculine" colour. Gender roles can change over time and the strict binary gender norms of the western world, particularly of the US, are not global and have not been the norm throughout much of human history.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj