1.3 Legacy Perks

xZarquon

Does anyone understand why the legacy perks are being done on a per-character basis? Is this just meant to be a larger credit sink hidden behind smaller per-character costs? I'll admit, my question here could be due to ignorance about how exactly these will work as the preview tab we have only gives general concepts. But, i can't think of any reason why I would say "Yeah, i really want increased sprint speed on my sorcerer....by my operative, no way!" IMHO it's like this for most of the legacy perks...even if I likely wouldn't ever use the field respec on my marauder, it would in no way detract from playing him to have it if this perk were tied to legacy.

The only ones I could possibly see detracting from play experience are the experience increasing ones (uless of course these come with a trade-off. ie: more exp from pvp, but less from quests/mobs). This is only if the player actually doesn't want to risk outleveling content. For those of us who are making many alts, I'm under the impression that few people actually enjoy doing the same planet quests over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I think the stories are great and enjoyable, but apart from the class quests, I'm mostly just trying to get to 50 as quickly as possible on all of my alts.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

So, this dropped off this first page before another person even looked at it. I would really like to hear other peoples' thoughts on this. I was going to post it for the Q&A but that thread appears to be gone, I'm guessing to avoid questions about the layoffs.

I think their line of thought was that a perk that affects possibly 8 characters should be a big investment, but something for only one character could be cheaper. They know that people thought the 1.2 perks were pretty expensive, but they did affect up to 8 characters. However, what if you're a person that only plays one character at a time? If you have a main and a high legacy level, and then start an alt, in 1.3 you can just buy things for that one character cheaply, instead of dumping 1 million credits so that your one character gets a boost.

You have a point about the sprint speed, as anyone could use it really, but I think their aim was to let you personalize each of your characters depending on what you like to do with them. Perhaps they are trying to see if players like the expensive server perks or the cheaper character perks better, and use that system in the future.