Petition to revert the item rating display changed in 2.7

ViciousFett

I'm sure there have already been other threads, but I couldn't see one on the top few pages.

As mentioned in this Reddit post:

The new item rating displayed on item mods is super confusing while leveling characters, and I think the majority of us would prefer to have the change reverted, or at least have both displayed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting used to rating myself, so whatever.

At this point, I just wish somebody knew the actual formula for calculating rating. I've given it a few goes and there is nothing I've come up with so far that is consistent for low level, medium level and high level gear.

Edited by Khevar

On that note, can someone confirm the following?:

180 = 78

168 = 72

162 = 69

156 = 66

148 = 61

140 = 58

That's my understanding of the new vs old rating system. However, I saw some 186 gear so that confused me a bit. Didnt know it went that high...

Old:

Advanced Bulwark Enhancement 31

Mod rating 72

Item rating 168

New:

Item rating 168

They got rid of a superfluous number. Get used to it.

I definitely agree that they did not need three numbers, but in retrospect, doesn't the Item rating number seem more superfluous than the mod rating number? Unless I am missing something, how is the Item rating number more or less arbitrary than the mod rating number? If they are equally arbitrary in their determination, shouldn't the utility of the mod rating number during leveling lend to its adoption instead?

Continuing this line of though, why use the numbering convention in "Advanced Bulwark Enhancement 31" if only to show that it is the thirty-first in a succession of modification types? Could not the entire system be simply reduced to a convention of "Advanced Bulwark Enhancement 168"?

By eliminating the mod rating BioWare has shown it wants to streamline and clarify its rating conventions, but I would hope they would go the step further and make these meaningful and legible to the players. Item rating as a convention is just as useful at endgame as mod rating; however mod rating has the added benefit of being useful for gearing during the leveling process. I believe BioWare chose to eliminate the wrong number, but I would love to hear some developer insight into the change and if there could be further improvements.

Old:

Mod rating 72

Item rating 168

New:

Item rating 168

There was no need to get rid of that number. It was fine the way it was before.

Now it's even more confusing for people.

Not very streamlined at all.. :rolleyes:

I definitely agree that they did not need three numbers, but in retrospect, doesn't the Item rating number seem more superfluous than the mod rating number?

Advanced Skill Barrel 28

Mod rating 66

Item rating 156

Skill Barrel 28

Mod rating 66

Item rating 148

Skill Barrel 28

Mod rating 66

Item rating 138

which one seems superfluous and confusing ?

Edited by Loc_n_lol

Old:

Mod rating 72

Item rating 168

New:

Item rating 168

Still it was far better on low-level gear when the mods actually ment the level of the item. Current rating doesn't make it easier to see at first glance of your gear is out of date. Let them mark 55+ gear all they want but let us have our level-based back please :(

The new system is better, people are just stuck in their ways.

If the number is bigger, its better then what you have, Simple.

As you upgrade mods in your gear, the wearable item level of the gear also updates at the bottom of the tooltip, Simple.

/not signed.

Still it was far better on low-level gear when the mods actually ment the level of the item. Current rating doesn't make it easier to see at first glance of your gear is out of date. Let them mark 55+ gear all they want but let us have our level-based back please :(

Nearly every quest drops a piece of gear, if the item rating for that gear is higher than the gear/mods you have, your gear is out of date. Better gear will also have more stats, which will also show on comparative tool tips if you have the option turned on.

This "I can't tell if my gear is out of date" argument is terrible, people are using it are basically saying they don't know how to tell a bigger number from a smaller one.

There was NOTHING the wrong with the way that it was... so WHY did they need to change it?

While leveling, it is a pain to view your gear to see what level items you have installed in it... as before, it was easy.

Alas, they are not going to change it back though, not in a million years. :(

But I do /sign this.

/signed

I want a toggle for level vs rating system in the Options. Spent a while trying to find it!

This "I can't tell if my gear is out of date" argument is terrible, people are using it are basically saying they don't know how to tell a bigger number from a smaller one.

Dunno about others, but all drop offs are like 5 levels or more below my toon level.

What I protest is that the mods at the vendors are listed by number (Skill Barrel 5) which is appropriate for Level 17, which when installed turns into rating number erm, not sure. To add to that, every planet has its own level of commendations. With some of them overlapping.

So, say you hit level 41, and wonder if your toons are in lvl 37 (need upgrade) or in level 39 (good to go till level 43). Before, you quickly rolled through all 9 pieces of adaptable gear with 3 modifications each for your toon and primary Companion, and wrote down for the order on a piece of paper of # of mods, enh and arm/bar each (do you hear me starting to sob here?). Now, you have to click, compare the level to the rating, then roll it over. Then remember if it was Quesh or whatever who is your vendor, allocate the commendations and set your crafters to work (if you are lucky you have RI'd stuff in advance and gained the supplies)...

I am sorry, but that's the only game where I hate leveling up! Sorry, I am bitter. I haven't been able to finish Quesh for a week now after Zenith hit level 41, in his start-up level 35, and we had to spent quality time at the Fleet re-equipping. And turns out Level 41 was a really bad level to re-equip a DPS. 43 would have been better, because you have like 20 schematics available to chose from with any combo of stats you could dream up. But there is another number, a max of 100 Planetary... no luck.

Edited by DomiSotto

Nearly every quest drops a piece of gear, if the item rating for that gear is higher than the gear/mods you have, your gear is out of date. Better gear will also have more stats, which will also show on comparative tool tips if you have the option turned on.

On top of that, when you go to buy gear/mods with planetary comms it tells you right there what the required level is. It even says it for gear on the GTN.

Really unclear what the big hubbub is about.

Better petition. Let us choose what which rating we want to see. I find this system a bit confusing right now. I'm sure I could get use to it given time but I miss the smaller numbers and its harder to interpret what levels all the armoring, mods, and enhancements are.

Pure short sightedness by both BW and the people who support the obtuse "gear rating" numbers.

SWTOR is a little over 2 years old and the top tier gear rating has already reached 186. What's going to happen if the game reaches its 6th or 7th anniversary with a level cap of 65 or 70? Will we be staring at a bunch of 256's or 324's in our character window? Is the game going to shut down within the next 2 to 3 years to ensure that the rating numbers don't get comically large?

This "change" didn't fix a damn thing as so many naive folks would have us believe. It just allowed BW to kick the can a few years down the road at which point another "fix" will have to be implemented.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

Pure short sightedness by both BW and the people who support the obtuse "gear rating" numbers.

SWTOR is a little over 2 years old and the top tier gear rating has already reached 186. What's going to happen if the game reaches its 6th or 7th anniversary with a level cap of 65 or 70? Will we be staring at a bunch of 256's or 324's in our character window? Is the game going to shut down within the next 2 to 3 years to ensure that the rating numbers don't get comically large?

This "change" didn't fix a damn thing as so many naive folks would have us believe. It just allowed BW to kick the can a few years down the road at which point another "fix" will have to be implemented.

3 digit numbers are not comically large.

What's going to happen if the game reaches its 6th or 7th anniversary with a level cap of 65 or 70?

Well, the numbers are infinite, so I don't see how 263 is more incredulous than 88. Plus, it might actually appeal to the crowd that will play beyond the leveling PvE offers.

So, say you hit level 41, and wonder if your toons are in lvl 37 (need upgrade) or in level 39 (good to go till level 43). Before, you quickly rolled through all 9 pieces of adaptable gear with 3 modifications each for your toon and primary Companion, and wrote down for the order on a piece of paper of # of mods, enh and arm/bar each (do you hear me starting to sob here?). Now, you have to click, compare the level to the rating, then roll it over. Then remember if it was Quesh or whatever who is your vendor, allocate the commendations and set your crafters to work (if you are lucky you have RI'd stuff in advance and gained the supplies)...

You are doing it wrong. You should just replace your weakest gear with whatever the highest rating is you can buy and equip at the comms vendor. And since rating equates to power, you should have a much better idea of how much difference it will make.

But moreover, all leveling content can be completed in the greens that drop along the way, especially if you know how to use your interrupts, stuns, and defensive CDs. My advice is to stop making it so difficult on yourself, and just play the game.

I haven't been able to finish Quesh for a week now after Zenith hit level 41, in his start-up level 35, and we had to spent quality time at the Fleet re-equipping. And turns out Level 41 was a really bad level to re-equip a DPS.

DPS companions suck. They just don't do any substantial amounts of damage past level 25 or so, no matter what their gear is. If you insist on using a DPS companion, use Nadia, since she can use your hand-me-downs. Otherwise your healing companion, Tharan, is almost always a better choice when you are finding content to be tough.

EDIT: also note that planetary comms are practically infinite now, since you can go back to previous planets and solo the daily heroics to get more. Much easier than when every planet had their own commendation type.

Edited by NoFishing