Rakghoul Event: Focused Feedback

The_Grand_Nagus

The Rakghoul event is back, and so is the buzz that comes with it. Some is positive, some is negative, some is lost in the noise. If you have experience participating or being effected by the Rakghoul event, answer the following questions:

1) What is your overall impression of the event?

2) What aspects of the event do you like?

3) What aspects of the event do you not like?

4) What suggestions do you have for improving the event in the future?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Awesome, awesome, oh, and awesome.

2) Love the two Rakghoul bosses (Shellshock and Eyeless). And I love the fact that the trash scale for each player attacking them. Also loved the new "Tactical Ops idea".

3) Sometimes, it feels like, "just another grindfest". I swear, the first time I did it, I was about to dismiss it as one, and it only feels more fun when there's Imps to kill. A bit of variety in the dailies would be fun.

4) Make more diverse objectives for dailies. Maybe, make a PvP-only part of it like the Gree Event. And finally, the Corellia and Tatooine iterations should have entirely different bosses and dailies.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Black-Green Crystal and free, non-CM Varactyls and dewbacks == pure awesomeness.

Edited by EzioMessi

1) What is your overall impression of the event? I enjoyed it so far, can't wait to see what it is like on the other planets, infected sand people and cat people?

2) What aspects of the event do you like? Getting charged at in town by the rakghouls. New companion customizations

3) What aspects of the event do you not like? No plague scanners to attack people that are infected, shorter planetary quest line. Would be nice to have more outside the tunnels content.

4) What suggestions do you have for improving the event in the future? Bring back the containment officer armor, and the containment officers. Quarantine needs to be enforced!

This event was done better in many ways opposed to the first time it came to be on tatooine. My issue comes with the Rakghoul tunnels. Trying to have both factions running around in the same small zone is a little bit too much. For next time I think they should have one set of tunnels for imperials and one set for republic. Also some of the dailies you can do solo, but when you have to kill actual Rakghouls things get messy. The area where the actual Rakghoul are should be phased and classified as a heroic. As when you kill one you have a good chance of spawning a elite not just a strong, along with normal npcs. At that point your going to need help. Please spare its easy. I am sure is with nightmare mode pve gear. Unless I am mistaken events are supposed to be something for people to enjoy? These were the major items that stood out to me while I was down there.

I am not sure about the gear rewards on the imperial side. The last time this event was live there some cool looking crystals you could get and a tionese trooper hazmat armor set. The armor looked pretty cool. The rewards I saw on the imp side were well yuck atleast to me compared to the original rewards. Keep in mind this feedback is based for next time. I dont expect any changed this time around. I honestly dont like the idea of T.H.O.R.N. but that is me like I said. I think the old rewards from the original rakghoul event were better. The only problem with that event was there was no connecting pieces to tell people where to go. This one there was and that was a major improvement but I would stop putting weird looking stuff up as rewards but again thats the opinion of one player. I hope this feedback helps.

This event was done better in many ways opposed to the first time it came to be on tatooine. My issue comes with the Rakghoul tunnels. Trying to have both factions running around in the same small zone is a little bit too much. For next time I think they should have one set of tunnels for imperials and one set for republic. Also some of the dailies you can do solo, but when you have to kill actual Rakghouls things get messy. The area where the actual Rakghoul are should be phased and classified as a heroic. As when you kill one you have a good chance of spawning a elite not just a strong, along with normal npcs. At that point your going to need help. Please spare its easy. I am sure is with nightmare mode pve gear. Unless I am mistaken events are supposed to be something for people to enjoy? These were the major items that stood out to me while I was down there.

I am not sure about the gear rewards on the imperial side. The last time this event was live there some cool looking crystals you could get and a tionese trooper hazmat armor set. The armor looked pretty cool. The rewards I saw on the imp side were well yuck atleast to me compared to the original rewards. Keep in mind this feedback is based for next time. I dont expect any changed this time around. I honestly dont like the idea of T.H.O.R.N. but that is me like I said. I think the old rewards from the original rakghoul event were better. The only problem with that event was there was no connecting pieces to tell people where to go. This one there was and that was a major improvement but I would stop putting weird looking stuff up as rewards but again thats the opinion of one player. I hope this feedback helps.

No; if the "forced PvP" is bothering you, make them fix the broken PvP-flag system for PvE servers, but that's about it. Squeezing Imps and Pubs into the same small tunnel converts this event from just another mundane daily, to a constant fight for one's life, which is frankly more fun.

And really? That random elite spawn? That's not worth complaining about. At all. And no, I don't wear uber-PvE gear. It's impossible to move more than 2 steps without PvP gear there, I'm always in Conqueror, and very regularly take down the elite without a companion at all.

Pretty good! I finally got to go to the quest area today and I was pleasantly surprised. The caves look really great and personally I liked the claustrophobic feel (btw they'd also make good underwater caverns for Manaan....ehhhh? *winkwink*). The quest variety wasn't too bad either but maybe it's cause I've never done dailies before.

How the mobs scale. I went there as a lvl 21 character, just hoping to see the quest area, without any intention of actually doing the quests. Then I got there and was like "woahh, I can totally do these quests!" Don't know who said lvl 25+ but lvl 21 worked fine for me. I also liked how the Republic and Empire quests are in the same area. Makes the situation much more tense on a pvp server. (Though I didn't see any pvp other than high lvl republic players repeatedly killing me. Otherwise both factions seemed to avoid each other mostly).

Also, rakghoul's are really fun to fight, plus the infected kilik were a nice twist.

The fact that it's more of an annoyance at the fleet. Yes, there's a vaccine but I think the cost could be lowered by a lot (like 100 each) or at least the plague should be disabled for pvp. If the vaccine is super cheap then people who don't want to participate can buy it all the time (even lowbies) and the people who want to participate can simply ignore the vaccine.

Also, the constant moaning. I had my sound muted for a while cause I just log in for the GTN. Then today I finally turn it on and it's all "OOHHHHRGH!!!!!" "AAAAAHHHH!!!!!"

Aside from the vaccine stuff, maybe add more respawn points (med droids) in the tunnels? It's not a big deal when you're a sub but if you're free to play and on a pvp server, you're going to die A LOT. And you only get 5 respawns at your location so it means a lot of backtracking.

Also, it kinda sucks that the event only lasts a week since I'm in the middle of exams and they end on the same day the event ends :(. I know it's supposed to be recurring now but how long is that? Last time was more than a year ago. Also, will it appear on Alderaan again? I wouldn't mind if the locations rotated, even if they had been done before (but with less waiting in between).

Edited by Blackholeskipper

Overall, I think this Event is great, I only have a couple relatively small gripes compared with all the good it brings to the game.

The Good:

-Bringing back the Green-Black Crystals and Companion Customizations but NOT bringing back the Containment Officer Gear: They were going to have some people pissed no matter what they did with the old gear (some people wanted everything from the first event to remain unique to it; other people wanted a shot at all of that gear) but I think they struck a nice balance. Those who participated in the original still have their "I Was There" gear that no one else has access to: the Containment Officer set; those who didn't get a chance to play the first time now have access to some neat and popular items from it: the crystals and companion skins.

-Bringing back the "infection" mechanic but having everything else be brand new: I like that they went all out and made this a new, unique event, rather than just flipping the original back "on" and tweaking it to make a reoccurring event. When people talk about the original event, the infection mechanic is what everyone remembered, what made it so popular, so I like that EA/BW took that feedback and incorporated it into the Resurgence, but otherwise went ahead and gave us a new zone, a new boss, and a lot of new rewards. They weren't lazy about making the event, and they listened to feedback - great combo.

-Having it move from world-to-world during different occurrences: One of the things I like about the Bounty Contract Week event is that it gets people back out to worlds that otherwise never get visited once you've leveled past them. I like that it seems this event will be cycling between Alderaan, Tatooine, and I believe Corellia. It's nice to see these worlds getting utilized again, even if it is only as a gateway to the Infested Tunnels zone.

The Bad:

-The Ganking (PVP servers only): I'll be the first to proclaim that if you roll a character on the PVP server you should know what you're getting yourself into - including some ganking. BUT the design of events shouldn't overly encourage ganking (open world PVP absolutely, but not 55s one-hitting 25s).

The Gree Event works because while it's in a pretty confined area, it's only for high-level characters, so the PVP is pretty fair. The BBA Event works because while it's for all levels, it's so spread out that even if you get ganked once, chances are the guy will have moved on in short order. But here, we have a pretty small area that all levels are getting funneled into - if you're getting ganked, chances are there's going to be a constant stream of people who'll keep on doing it.

If EA/BW wanted this event to be available for levels 25 and up, they should have taken some steps to mitigate how easy it is for the 55s to completely shut down lowbies' ability to quest (maybe use some sort of Bolster mechanic for example). Again, some level of ganking is always going to happen, and on balance that's ok, it goes with the territory, but it shouldn't be facilitated quite this much.

-Uninspired Quests: Aside from the infection mechanic and the one daily quest that uses it, all of the other quests in this event are things we've seen plenty of times before: Kill these mobs and click on these items; Click on these items and kill the mobs that spawn from them; Scan these things with your macrobinoculars; etc. Not every quest needs to be breathtakingly original, and people actually tend to like sticking to their comfort zone most of the time, but I would have appreciated seeing one or two more quests that added something new to the mix.

-Make the Vaccine persist through PVP death (but not necessarily through PVE death). I personally think that 99% of the "I'm being forced to participate" complaints are over-stated bellyaching, but this is a relatively simple change that I do believe would alleviate the one legitimate concern they have.

-Apply the Bolster mechanic through the whole of the Infected Tunnels instead of just in the Eyeless instance. It would make for more "legitimate" PVP, and less one-shot ganking.

Keep up the good work EA/BW!

Mildly positive.

The cave design is nice. Some of the rewards are moderately interesting and they are priced far more reasonably than other event rewards have been.

The fact that (theoretically at least) lowbs can take part in the event and even the Ops boss.

The lack of any real narrative (thus far) other than 'Go here, kill Rakghouls for the Republic/Emperor''. I realise this is problematic in an event that will repeat indefinitely but it would have been nice for there to be some kind of overarching plot (like the Kaon FP's)

The Rak zombies in the cities are beyond tedious.

The infection takes way to long to cause detonation, which leads to a lot of standing about. Standing about is boring.

Extend bolster to the cave system and not just eyeless's cave, this allows for easier grouping between players of varied levels and gives lowbs a chance on PvP servers (not a good one, but its better than nowt) it would also do away with the need to procedurally generate the mobs in the caves to be appropriate to the users level and save a little throughput as a result.

Also, Bolster needs to more accurately account for a users role when increasing stats in order that they end up somewhat useful within the Ops environment. DPS come out reasonably well but when I took my lvl 30 TankJugg to Eyeless even with bolster he had 10% defense, which is pretty far off the mark even for a SM with simplistic mechanics.

Reduce the cost of the Vaccine. 2k is nothing to most players but to some the cost can mount up if they find themselves dying a lot to other causes.

I could probably think of more, but I'll leave it at that.

The Rakghoul event is back, and so is the buzz that comes with it. Some is positive, some is negative, some is lost in the noise. If you have experience participating or being effected by the Rakghoul event, answer the following questions:

1.) It's fun quick and good xp for leveling.

2.) The Operation that has Bolster.

3.) The Heroic, is hard to group for as a low level.

4.) Make Bolster kick in as soon as you take the elevator down, to make grouping easier.

1) The event started well though the news broadcast seemed a little too generic and the conversation options were bland the look of the tunnels was very nice, the Rakghouls and the rest were very well done along with ambushes in the capital. The first play through was nice.

2) I like that the rakghouls appeared in the city jumping out to attack people and the feel of the tunnels. It looks very nice and the difficulty level is about right.

3) First and foremost the lack of any story. It was at best a generic attempt to say here is a spire for no good reason but the goodness of your heart go down there and try not to die. This may work for a jedi it hardly makes sense for the empire to care. They created the plague. This couples into the next point which is once again a quest box. This I don't understand as the voice actors where hired for what appears to be a couple of lines, this can't be cost effective it must take longer setting up the studio than it does the recording. Finally this leads to the lack of depth of the quests themselves. KOTOR had a fair bit on Taris about the plague yet the event its dumbed down to kill some infected and one big ugly and thats it. For a little work on the story a great many lines of dialogue it could offer more.

4) In the future they need to make more of the voice actors and dialogue wheel coupled with a little bit more on class or achievement specific points. For a couple of lines spoke by a faction specific NPC the same event could take on a more personal appearance. The quests could do with being extended and added continuation quests into them rather than a box. Which wouldn't require any new area or monsters just a more productive use of them.

Oh and don't have a quest to infect people or achievements linked to this, its beyond stupid as firstly it encourages people to infected low level characters that don't want to waste 2k on a vaccine for an event they aren't part of. And second and more importantly its making dying multiple times an achievement are you kidding how is that achieving anything other than being bad at the game.

The event is localized, it doesn't alter the world too much. It's there for who wants it, which includes me. The quests are varied and for all people there's something to do. The special NPC's give the looters a nice thing to do also.

Varied quests, thus something for everyone.

Loot opportunities.

Purpose for old DNA samples as well as sample drops to finish that last 50 pieces for a canister.

The infecting is a nice touch, but I can imagine some people do not want to pay for Rakghoul Vaccines. I would have either gone with Rakghoul Vaccines at 1 credit, with a 7 days expiration setting, or with an auto-heal when you talk to a medical droid, or perhaps a special THORN medical droid.

People with PvP on stealthing to try and get hit by mistargets/smashes.

Make a separate PvP zone, something you reach through a detour. Make the quest area protect you from PvP. A big battle area around the spike would also have worked, or a second level of caves.

No; if the "forced PvP" is bothering you, make them fix the broken PvP-flag system for PvE servers, but that's about it. Squeezing Imps and Pubs into the same small tunnel converts this event from just another mundane daily, to a constant fight for one's life, which is frankly more fun.

And really? That random elite spawn? That's not worth complaining about. At all. And no, I don't wear uber-PvE gear. It's impossible to move more than 2 steps without PvP gear there, I'm always in Conqueror, and very regularly take down the elite without a companion at all.

First off I did not even say anything about pvp so take a chill pill. Also this is not a complaint as it is feedback, which last time I checked the devs wanted on this event. Lastly I do not know how you avoided situations like this but you must not have been down there very long. I killed one rakghoul in the area, a elite spawned, a strong spawned, and as I was running round trying to keep my distance a champion spawned. This is not worthy of being called a heroic area? Again relax. I am not asking for them to nerf it, I am just saying they should phase that entire area as a heroic so people know to get a group together before going in.

Overall I'm quite enjoying the event. I run it on 7 of my toon's at 55 everyday. Looking forward to future installments.

The first day I thought it was kind of cool to have those plaguebearers come out of nowhere and attack you. Another thing I'm enjoying is farming those champions that spawn in 5 different points for Rak DNA/pets. (Still haven't got a Cataylist to spawn, but I'll keep at it.) The last thing off the top of my head I thought was really cool is the Tunnel Lurker. First time I saw him I was scanning a ceiling for those beacons and as I turned around I had the Tunnel Lurker bearing down on me like a Wookie going after a fresh piece of meat. I said to myself "oh sh*t".......but before I could esc out of the binocs he was already passing me. And thank god you can't aggro him without attacking. That was a cool idea having him run around the tunnels.

The plaguebearers everyday after the first day. Got kind of annoying going 15ft without another mob attacking ya. Jeelvic. LOVE LOVE LOVE the infected mounts. LOVE the black green crystals. Even LOVE the pets he has. HATE HATE HATE how he patrols the area around those 2 big rocks. Your scanning his items for sale and BAM.....the window closes on ya because he decided you what?........took too long? Don't get me wrong, it's a cool idea to have him walk around, but not while your trying to browse. And finally the Eyeless boss. Seemed a bit too easy. And by that I mean, I guess I went into the fight expecting a mechanic or two other than watch your step and burn. But overall I do like the boss himself. Just expected more I guess.

Make Jeelvic stand still while shopping. Make the next event boss, different first and foremost, (not the Eyeless just on another planet) but also throw in a mechanic or two other than not standing in stupid. If the Rak event is going to show up on Tatooine and Corellia please make it have different missions. Perhaps even longer mission objectives and/or a few more missions. Would love to see an infected Tauntaun mount in some future installment as well.

1.) Its pretty fun, all in all, but has room for improvement

2.) The cave looks amazing and feels different than anything we've seen from Bioware thus far, non-CM animal mounts such as the Dewback & Varactyl, mobs scaling to your level, and return of the Rakling pets.

3.) RNG pet drops from bosses/champion mobs that are required for achievements, (like others have said) lack of narrative throughout the 'story' other than you're doing this for the Republic/Empire (so far), and Alderaan loading times take a long time and can be annoying especially for people doing dailies/going to fleet and coming back each day on 1 or more characters.

4.) Make the vaccine persist through defeat, give players a temporary priority transport to the caves, have RNG pets not be tied to achievements or have less RNG pets tied to achievements, and have bolster take effect as soon as you enter the caves.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

my experience with these events is completely negative.

i was there when wow had the ZG plague... and i didn't find that at all enjoyable when it was unintentional.

i certainly don't find it enjoyable now that is is intentional... im forced to take part in the event, and more particularly, the negative aspects of the event, even if i don't want to. that is unacceptable on any level.

my issue is that because of this damn plague my playstyle has been completely disrupted. im an avid pvp'r, and there is nothing worse than experiencing a damn coughing fit at a clutch moment in a fight.

yes, i understand that there are vaccines... but the principle is that i should not be intentionally handicapped by the game, i should not have to buy a vaccine simply to play as i normally do (normally, im not even asking for anything special... just that i can experience the gameplay i enjoy 99% of the time).

sucks, but because i refuse to pay out to rectify what i essentially see as a terrible mistake by the devs, i simply won't be taking part in this event, or even logging into the game while it is going on.

ill happily relog after it ends... but as a subscriber who's been a part of this game since the beta, there's only so much i can take before ill eventually say, "**** it" its not worth it. if these continue, ill probably go like many others have and simply become a ftp player... but even then, if these sort of disruptive events continue, its likely ill stop participating even in that capacity.

to make an analogy, my experience with this event feels like if my internet provider intentionally introduced a feature that created a service outage without any sort of compensation for the irritation and annoyance. yea, its a minor gripe, but minor gripes add up over time.

Edited by Jaidan

my experience with these events is completely negative.

i was there when wow had the ZG plague... and i didn't find that at all enjoyable when it was unintentional.

i certainly don't find it enjoyable now that is is intentional... im forced to take part in the event, and more particularly, the negative aspects of the event, even if i don't want to. that is unacceptable on any level.

my issue is that because of this damn plague my playstyle has been completely disrupted. im an avid pvp'r, and there is nothing worse than experiencing a damn coughing fit at a clutch moment in a fight.

yes, i understand that there are vaccines... but the principle is that i should not be intentionally handicapped by the game, i should not have to buy a vaccine simply to play as i normally do (normally, im not even asking for anything special... just that i can experience the gameplay i enjoy 99% of the time).

sucks, but because i refuse to pay out to rectify what i essentially see as a terrible mistake by the devs, i simply won't be taking part in this event, or even logging into the game while it is going on.

ill happily relog after it ends... but as a subscriber who's been a part of this game since the beta, there's only so much i can take before ill eventually say, "**** it" its not worth it. if these continue, ill probably go like many others have and simply become a ftp player... but even then, if these sort of disruptive events continue, its likely ill stop participating even in that capacity.

to make an analogy, my experience with this event feels like if my internet provider intentionally introduced a feature that created a service outage without any sort of compensation for the irritation and annoyance. yea, its a minor gripe, but minor gripes add up over time.

You do know you can buy these 'relics' on Alderaan (The Rakghoul Tunnels) to make you immune to the plague permanently, right? Thats right; no more coughing, no more blowing up, no more buying vaccines. Its cheap and they only require Newcomer standing with THORN (Newcomer is extremely easy to get.) I got Newcomer from doing the dailies for only 2 days, and it'd be even faster if you do it with alts.

Edited by Essence_of_Light

I like it a lot. I really loved the Rakghoul event the first time around and I like how they've reworked it so that it can return in various places with minimal tinkering required. The Tatooine event was and always will be special, but I'm hoping that this will continue to evolve and get even better over time. I do miss the containment droids stopping people in their hangars, though. (Or, at least, I haven't seen them, if they're around...)

I like the level scaling, especially being able to take a lower level alt in to fight The Eyeless. The quests are not amazing, but the environment in the tunnels is nice enough where I don't really mind. I would like to see something new next time, however.

There is a pretty major and unfortunate bug which denies Imperial players under level 53 one of their daily canister rewards. I have a thread about it here and I'm kind of disappointed that no response has been given from BW, at least that I'm aware of. I can't help but think there are Imperial players out there who will have 7 canisters less than the Republic players of equal level simply because they don't play both sides and had no way to know. And since this only affects lower level characters, it's sort of a double-whammy because many of them can't find suitable groups every day for their H4 quests as well... so those people are REALLY missing out. Hopefully this will be fixed next time around.

Big thanks to those who helped me narrow down the problem, though.

Don't leave a quest reward out for some people, especially one that is the required currency to purchase the items from the event. :jawa_frown:

First off I did not even say anything about pvp so take a chill pill. Also this is not a complaint as it is feedback, which last time I checked the devs wanted on this event. Lastly I do not know how you avoided situations like this but you must not have been down there very long. I killed one rakghoul in the area, a elite spawned, a strong spawned, and as I was running round trying to keep my distance a champion spawned. This is not worthy of being called a heroic area? Again relax. I am not asking for them to nerf it, I am just saying they should phase that entire area as a heroic so people know to get a group together before going in.

Yes, you didn't say anything explicitly about PvP, but you said Pubs and Imps should run in separate tunnels. I assumed it was to avoid ganking and stuff, apparently it is not. Okay, then why do you want the tunnels separated?

And no, I have been down there since the beginning of the event. The only mob that is impossible for solo players to defeat is the Tunnel Lurker. I don't think any part of the tunnels needs to be called a heroic area, except the Epicentre (which already is).

You do know you can buy these 'relics' on Alderaan (The Rakghoul Tunnels) to make you immune to the plague permanently, right? Thats right; no more coughing, no more blowing up, no more buying vaccines. Its cheap and they only require Newcomer standing with THORN (Newcomer is extremely easy to get.) I got Newcomer from doing the dailies for only 2 days, and it'd be even faster if you do it with alts.

They said they are a PvPer. Do you really expect an avid PvPer to run dailies two days straight? ;)

They should just make vaccines persist through death, but shorten the duration to 2 hours or make them wear off after <insert arbitrary number of> Infections.

Edited by EzioMessi

I've actually enjoyed it quite a lot, though I've not really taken part very much.

I really enjoy the theme of the event, as a horror fan. I like things such as the noise you hear before the plaguebearers attack you. I love the announcements on the Imp fleet. I like the design of the tunnels -all those little touches that give the event a great atmosphere. I like some of the dailies.

Not keen on the grindy aspect of trying to get any rewards, and as a PVE player, I wish there was a mount available that I could get without doing content that involved grouping (just one would be nice). I'm also not keen on the coughing interrupting abilities whilst in the middle of fights. I don't like that some of my abilities get wasted and then end up on cool down.

I would probably add a few more rewards, and definitely not have the coughing interrupt abilities whilst in battle.

It's a isappointment and a waste of time

Got to hang out with some friends once more

It's existence pretty much; it's nothing but a busy-work grindfest and just some rehashed event like the Gree and Bounty Hunter week. It's just flat out boring and holds no interest whatsoever.

For Bioware to actually make an event like the original Rakghoul plague (with the exclusion of the limited time to unlock missions). That event was the only thing in SWTOR's lifespan so far that could be considered an "event;" is brought everyone on both sides together, people explored the mystery of the outbreak, etc.

I really enjoy the event and seeing what has changed since the first time BW launched it, but having both factions squeezed into the heroic area in the Rak tunnels has been problematic, at least for those who aren't 55's decked out in end game gear yet. There's nothing like getting ganked by a couple of 55's right as you're about to kill a champ mob with 5% health left, then respawning only to have it happen again. I don't mind that sort of stuff in the rest of the area because that comes with territory of PvP servers, but having the heroic area instanced would save people from a lot of frustration.

Yeah, great design idea they had there, if you don't like the event you have to join it to avoid it!