7970 vs SWTOR

YaiiE

Hello everyone,

Looking for help.

When SWTOR was first coming out I went and bought a "gaming" laptop with a higher end Nvidia GPU only to find it could barely handle SWTOR on medium settings so I opted to build my own computer. Before putting this system together I researched the heck out of all the components.

I5 3570 3.4GHZ

Windows 8 64 Bit

Sapphire 7970 (Stock settings at 950MHZ with boost of 1000)

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77

8GB's corsair vengeance 1600mhz

850 PSU

Kingston Hyperx SSD

Single monitor at 1080P

Most recent drivers from AMD

Vsync off... All settings maxed out

Catalyst Control Center... I have everything set to use APP settings

16 player ops / warzones fps is under 30.

Edited by YaiiE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think the problem is on your end. Countless people have reported in the CS forum about FPS issues on their high end machines. Many fixes have been suggested, but the response is usually something like "Hey BW, I tried everything, and I still have a FPS issue" I have a decent machine (i5, 560ti) and my brother has a superior machine to even yours. We both get the same FPS in WZs and in crowded sections of the fleet. When we are in less crowded sections my brother gets 100+ FPS, and I get 70 FPS. The difference in the machines shows up everywhere except in crowded areas.

I guess it's possible that it's a driver issue. Are you using Catalyst 13.1? Maybe try the 13.3 beta drivers?

But I've noticed framerate problems since 2.0 launched when I had never had them before. It's most noticeable on the fleet, and there's even a delay when searching the GTN. In the thread about the quest tracking limitation, one of the devs mentioned that if the engine has to track too many things, it can result in lag. So maybe the huge number of achievements being tracked for every player is causing issues?

If that's the case, maybe they should rethink the achievement system. It's essentially useless anyway imo.

Regardless, a 7970 should absolutely *destroy* TOR. If a reinstall of the newest drivers doesn't fix things, it's likely that it's the crappy engine at fault.

I have three desktops and two laptops all running various nVidia GeForce 600 series cards (and one GTX 555) and FPS has never been an issue. Maybe the game has less trouble with nVidia?

Even though I have a AMD 7850 in the mail on its way to me (for other games), my current 5670 runs this game at full res 1080p, all details on full, in max FSAA.... My wife has a less powerful CPU, but running a 7770 and runs just as good, if not better.

Its not a AMD thing.... Feet has issues with frame rates, but I am sure everyone has some issues there.

some things I wold look into:

Its a laptop, turn off all Energy saving features in bios and OS. Laptops are designed to conserve more energy than desktops.

Internet bandwidth may be causing some lag when grouped, that stuff may be rendered locally, but its still many more packets of info on the network, that "if" low on bandwidth, may be the issue.

if the OS was installed by a vendor, how much junk is running in the background, perhaps removing them or a clean win install and turning off all services not needed could do wonders.

I will say this, the last thing I think it is, is the hardware he has being the issue.

Edited by Themanthatisi

i7 2600 and gtx 570 sli@ max settings/1080p here. As soon as there are more than 8 players (Warzones, 16 man operations), fps drop below 30. Worldbosses are especially bad. I once got a reply from a CSR telling me that my cpu is the culprit.

So was he saying that an i7 2600 doesn't have the juice for TOR? He was obviously either drunk or had no idea what he was talking about.

With all the cash they're raking in from the cartel market, EA should have a team working on nothing but engine optimizations. Trying to shift the blame to players for their crappy engine is just sad.

The game itself is at fault, not the players. I have an ASUS ROG g74x and it runs at 60fps constant on max.

-Meanwhile, my new 7970, 8350FX 8g computer has really poor performance, 110fps at times, dips to 30 randomly.

-The game has always been like this. It is poorly optimized and random performances across all players.

The game itself is at fault, not the players. I have an ASUS ROG g74x and it runs at 60fps constant on max.

-Meanwhile, my new 7970, 8350FX 8g computer has really poor performance, 110fps at times, dips to 30 randomly.

-The game has always been like this. It is poorly optimized and random performances across all players.

Hopefully they do not blame the mission logs... lol. Instead of raising them, they may lower it to 10. :eek:

I do not think the problem is on your end. Countless people have reported in the CS forum about FPS issues on their high end machines. Many fixes have been suggested, but the response is usually something like "Hey BW, I tried everything, and I still have a FPS issue" I have a decent machine (i5, 560ti) and my brother has a superior machine to even yours. We both get the same FPS in WZs and in crowded sections of the fleet. When we are in less crowded sections my brother gets 100+ FPS, and I get 70 FPS. The difference in the machines shows up everywhere except in crowded areas.

yes, this is not to OP's problem, it is all BW's fault, go to read CS forum by urself!.

OP,

I'm running the same card with 13.1 drivers, and I don't have any issues at all.

Maybe it's Windows 8. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Asus Maximus V Formula

Intel Core i7-3770K

2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 12800

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Windows 7 64-bit

I have an i7 NVidia 680. I recently moved the game files from the normal C:\ drive to a SATA drive, which is solid state, no spinning platters. I noticed a huge change in load times. The game will normally load on the default C, so you have to intentionally force it to the SATA drive. If you have that option you might give it a try.

OP,

I'm running the same card with 13.1 drivers, and I don't have any issues at all.

Asus Maximus V Formula

Intel Core i7-3770K

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Windows 7 64-bit

How're your frames holding up in Warzones / raids?

OP,

Asus Maximus V Formula

Intel Core i7-3770K

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970

Windows 7 64-bit

Wish I could say the same. I have tried both the 13.1 and 13.3 beta drivers and they both have the same performance. I'll hit 110 fps indoors, 40fps average on the fleet ( 19 fps spikes on Makeb ). Outside I average 35 fps on VERY HIGH performance. It's kind of a drag. My ASUS g74x laptop runs the game better.