Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is the light saber so weak?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is the light saber so weak?

BenduKundalini's Avatar


BenduKundalini
06.16.2017 , 04:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
can you make sword in box light so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.
-Battlebug
ALL YOUR PLASMA ARE BELONG TO US

Damn you, made me google it


Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
Yes, light sabers are weak. The strong ones are the heavy sabers.



On a side note, I don't like to play my Scrapper, I kinda felt ashamed fragging Siths with jabs and uppercups in WZs...

cyrusramsey's Avatar


cyrusramsey
06.16.2017 , 05:00 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarriorx View Post
who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot
I would first like to get out of the way that I fully agree with your point, but the quoted bit stood out to me, being someone who played instagib gametypes in the unreal tournament series nearly every day for about 10 years.

Aeneas_Falco's Avatar


Aeneas_Falco
06.16.2017 , 05:32 PM | #13
I'd love to see a game with flashy cinematic lightsaber combat and where just like in the films, a lightsaber-wielding force user can cut through hordes of muggles single-handed, without breaking a sweat. Think Luke versus Vader in ESB or Anakin versus Obi Wan as how battles with force users would play out, and Vader at the end of Rogue One or Luke Skywalker on Jabba's sail barge for battles against non-force using mooks.

That game would have to be a single-player RPG however, since no player wants to be a character that is the equivalent of one the 47 goons that get one-shotted by Luke on the sail barge. MMOs need to have balanaced player versus player combat, and all player classes need to be viable for Operations. That means in a Star Wars MMO that Jedi and Sith can't be a god-mode class that is much more powerful than other player characters in gameplay, even through that is the case within the official canon.

TL;DR version: Star Wars MMO's need some story and gameplay segregation when it comes to combat.

WorldSmasher's Avatar


WorldSmasher
06.16.2017 , 06:39 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarriorx View Post
Should Lightsabers have the ability to kill in one shot realistically [so to speak =p] yes, but so should Blaster pistols, Sniper Rifles, Vibroswords, Shotguns, Assassult cannons, and every other weapon. It's kinda a mote point. They don't kill in one shot, because who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot? Realism has no place in gaming. You know a lot of people who can levitate things or cause lightning to shoot from their fingertips? =p

If lightsaber did significantly more damage than other weapon types in the game, no one would play classes that can't use lightsabers, besides, a blaster bolt to the face has an equal argument for kill/damage power potential.
Counter Strike....

Elvathelion's Avatar


Elvathelion
06.16.2017 , 09:01 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MidnightTrooper View Post
Being a huge Star Wars fan, I know the light saber is a powerful weapon & one slice could end a life. It cuts through steel doors & is very deadly. However in this game, it only does very minor damage to anyone you are fighting.

I understand that they did not want to make the game too easy by letting you kill with one hit of the light saber, but I do wish the light saber did more damage.

The light saber is an icon of Star Wars & it should be an awesome weapon, but instead its like fighting with a stick. You poke them enough with it you will eventually do some damage.
I assume/make believe that there are armor and other counters to the light sabre that mitigate its awesomeness.

Otherwise, it is all Eagles for Taxis to Mount Doom.

EliteRevenant's Avatar


EliteRevenant
06.17.2017 , 12:33 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarriorx View Post
Should Lightsabers have the ability to kill in one shot realistically [so to speak =p] yes, but so should Blaster pistols, Sniper Rifles, Vibroswords, Shotguns, Assassult cannons, and every other weapon. It's kinda a mote point. They don't kill in one shot, because who the hell would want to play a game where they get killed in one shot? Realism has no place in gaming. You know a lot of people who can levitate things or cause lightning to shoot from their fingertips? =p

If lightsaber did significantly more damage than other weapon types in the game, no one would play classes that can't use lightsabers, besides, a blaster bolt to the face has an equal argument for kill/damage power potential.
Thinking back on it, this is really the best way to sum it up, on top of the post mentioning factors of armor and grazing and such (also important to note that there are shield generators in this time period, which helped handwave this issue back in KOTOR if I'm not mistaken). A lot of weapons should have a lot more kill potential than can be represented in this kind of game. Hell, snipers also have infinitely greater range than they do in game. Because this is an MMORPG, not a first or third person shooter.

Really, this is standard fair everywhere. Putting aside the notion of the light saber having some of the most famous cutting power in fiction in general, normal swords as a general rule also do the job just fine most of the time, but they typically don't fair any better than lightsabers in fantasy RPGs.

As an exercise, picture what would happen if this game's combat more closely mimicked reality in this way. Combat would devolve into who can get the first hit in, with it lasting in chaotic bursts. Healing would probably take a hit because accelerating the damage granted by lightsabers or other weapons makes it harder for them to keep up unless probably they get buffs.

Quote: Originally Posted by WorldSmasher View Post
Counter Strike....
My own two cents to add on.

Dark Souls...