Security Key: App vs. Physical

TheRandomWolf

I've been using the app version of the game's SK ever since I started playing in 2016. I had a lot of issues with this app, namely it needing to be reset quite a few items in order for a solid connection to be made. There was also a time it was constantly crashing.

A few months ago I managed to get my hands on a working physical Security Key (thanks to a CE order) and it hasn't given me any issues. My only problem with it is that the screen doesn't light up in the dark, but otherwise it's just a fine collectible to have. The battery will "supposedly" last me more five years.

Has anyone else used both items or would like to voice their opinions on each?

I used to have the physical key. Well technically I still have it but it worked fine for years. You do need good lighting indeed especially since it's sometimes difficult to keep 6, 8 and 9 apart on the far left or right.

Eventually it started reacting slower so I knew it was time to change. I put the app on my phone and to be honest I've never had any of the issues you report. It's easier to use than the physical key cause it's clearer so I never looked back.

I have the physical device, but have never used it, I've always used winauth. Have never had any issue with it, and have recommended it to many, who've had no issues either. There are other types of auth programs out there, but winauth is the only one I've ever used.

I use the 64-bit iOS version of the SWTOR app on one account, and it works fine, with no "resync" / "reconnect" problems, and in fact no way to even *ask* it to resync/reconnect. (My other account uses OTP Auth, and it, too, works just fine.)

That said:

* There have been two versions of the iOS app, the older 32-bit-only one that generated eight-digit codes, and the newer one that generates six-digit codes.

* The six-digit one generates time-sensitive codes. The same is true of non-SWTOR apps like Google Authenticator, OTP Auth, SaasPass, Authy, WinAuth, etc. The codes are valid for 30 seconds only.

* Such time-sensitive codes rely on the system time in the device running the app being meticulously and pedantically correct because they are calculated based on that system time.

I quit using the physical key bcs I didn't want to take it to work with me just so I could log into the forums. I always have my phone with me. I've never had an issue with the app on iPhone. Edited by kodrac

I've been using the app version of the game's SK ever since I started playing in 2016. I had a lot of issues with this app, namely it needing to be reset quite a few items in order for a solid connection to be made. There was also a time it was constantly crashing.

A few months ago I managed to get my hands on a working physical Security Key (thanks to a CE order) and it hasn't given me any issues. My only problem with it is that the screen doesn't light up in the dark, but otherwise it's just a fine collectible to have. The battery will "supposedly" last me more five years.

Has anyone else used both items or would like to voice their opinions on each?

I used my key fob since I first got it, 8-9 years ago I guess?

The battery started to fail it, so I was forced to set up the security code generator through the app. It was inconvenient to set up, but now I have had no issues with the app since it's been up and running.

I usually just pull it up off my iPad, it's no slower than if I was pressing the key fob. Actually I like the app better for the reason you mentioned, the key fob could be difficult to read in some lights.