DPS - why not DD

urgha

I mean DPS it is just damage per second.

DD means damage dealer.

I wonder why dps is used instead of dd at the forum.

If I remember correctly, it is an American slang term.

I could be wrong, but I think I heard from somewhere that in Europe the DPS role is called DD for damage dealer.

As I think there's more players in American than in other areas of the world, American slang is going to be seen more often.

It's just one of those things that catches on, and eventually people forget where the term even originated.

It's like pwned. Pwned started as Owned, but because of the placement of P and O on the keyboard, frequent typos caused it to read pwned instead, and people just went with it and turned it into an internet meme like everything else they find mildly entertaining or peculiar.

cause DD stands for Direct Damage

This. Back in the stone age of mmo's, damage was categorized as:

DD (direct damage)

AoE (area of effect)

PB (point blank)

PBOE (point blank area of effect)

and of course DOT (damage over time)

Don't think I forgot any, but it's been a while :)

If I remember correctly, it is an American slang term.

I could be wrong, but I think I heard from somewhere that in Europe the DPS role is called DD for damage dealer.

As I think there's more players in American than in other areas of the world, American slang is going to be seen more often.

No, this does not seem to be the case.

The term DPS instead of DD is used in Europe just as much as in America.

Just create toons in european and american servers since in SWTOR you can use both, and you'll see the Europeans use the term dps same way as Americans.

Or for example go look at the official forums of World of Warcraft where the discussion forums of European and American customers are separated and they can't write to each others forums and you'll see the same thing.

This. Back in the stone age of mmo's, damage was categorized as:

DD (direct damage)

AoE (area of effect)

PB (point blank)

PBOE (point blank area of effect)

and of course DOT (damage over time)

Don't think I forgot any, but it's been a while :)

Yep.... i started my MMO life with Everquest, many moons ago, and this is correct. DD meant a direct damage spell, meaning damage all upfront in one hit, as oposed to a DOT. DPS is the term given to the type of toon you have, or as a reference to how much damage a particular toon does (ie damage per second). This was in the days when warriors only had auto attack, taunt and kick..... no other abilities at all.... Happy days, but I would not really want to go back..... corpse run anyone?:cool: