Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should The Influencers Get Preferential Treatment Over The Rest Of The Players?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should The Influencers Get Preferential Treatment Over The Rest Of The Players?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Costello
02.22.2019 , 04:58 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
I wanted to touch upon this. I didn't recognize all the names of the influences who have come forward, but from the ones I do recognize, and the fact that some are from places like twitch, I wonder if that 3% raider group and the influencers are one in the same. I don't see story players or PvPers there. It would explain some of the changes and the type of content that has been put forward despite the fact that the player base at large doesn't seem to want or like it.

I am not fond of the idea that some players should be able to sway the course of the game over others, or that Bioware seems to largely ignore feedback from players even in situations where they seem to solicit it, like the PTS.
Well put and does raise couple of questions; obviously those questions wont be answered if posted here, so maybe an influencer could copy this thread and post it in their forum that the devs actually read.

I'd love to know which influencer streams Keiths raid groups, all honesty I don't watch streams, if I want to see the game I play it. However it would be nice to see Keith clearing Colicoid Queen on Vet Mode. Better yet would be him and Matt picking up a pug of people that have never done it before and taking them through Vet mode to let them experience something that they will never get to see otherwise.

What percentage of the games revenue is derived from these progression raid groups, I recall Musco saying that the game was mostly supported by casuals who come back every so often for a few months. He went so far as to suggest that they didn't need to add new content as these people would still come back; well at least they are putting that to the test. But it seems odd that progression raiders are the ones they listen to, yet get most of their revenue from people that don't do progression raiding.

In line with this, after a year mostly focused on NiM GoTm and now the latest update being centered around VM Colicode Queen how is the games revenue doing for the last year? Has this approach been good for the game and the community, has the direction been a good one and the right influence exerted? Or was December with the new story and daily area the highlight. Cause from what I can see far more people do the dailies and story than any Vet Mode content. So isn't this the content that brings in the most players/revenue.

Ylliarus
02.22.2019 , 05:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Well put and does raise couple of questions; obviously those questions wont be answered if posted here, so maybe an influencer could copy this thread and post it in their forum that the devs actually read.
It's outrageous that it has come to this. They've kept us in the dark about these special Influencer forums and engaged with them freely there, while completely ignoring us here and believing it was fine. That's not how customers should he treated, right? Because we pay our subs the same way the Influencers do.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]
SWTOR Player since November 25th, 2012
And here is my referral link!

Elessara
02.22.2019 , 06:32 AM | #23
This is the thread where I get to put my tinfoil hat on, right?

My actual honest opinion is ... if the devs can go to a place and have a calm, rational discussion about game changes then by all means let them because these forums are NOT the place for that. The devs cannot have calm discussions on these forums and we all know that.

I also highly doubt that the Influencers have much actual influence at all over game changes given the number of highly unpopular changes that have been made recently and given the number of repeatedly requested changes that haven't made it into the game. It seems more likely that they may be told a very short time in advance what's being done but they have no actual say - and no they can't come here and tell us because they are under an NDA.

KINGTOR
02.22.2019 , 07:03 AM | #24
You are absolutley right! And of course we can come here anytime we are the same people as you. We can talk we can chat but to be honest, we don't know more then you guys. I really wish we do. We just ask questions. Do we get the right answer? Well sometimes, but just like in this forum, you guys givin feedback about certain topics and we do that aswell. And do we still recevie the content even though we give a different feedback about a certain topic? Yes we still gonna get the content. If we have anything to say it's just our honest opinions. But we not devs we don't know anything how or what content we wanna put in. We simply give feedback to our suggestions. Thats all. But we don't know more then anybody else in the forums. Feel free to belive me or not, but that is my honest opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post

I also highly doubt that the Influencers have much actual influence at all over game changes given the number of highly unpopular changes that have been made recently and given the number of repeatedly requested changes that haven't made it into the game. It seems more likely that they may be told a very short time in advance what's being done but they have no actual say - and no they can't come here and tell us because they are under an NDA.
SWTOR Central

SWTOR Central Twitch

Enjoy the Game, Have fun that's all what you need to do!

Ref Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/TxbwsQ

Bioware Infuencer

Kryptonomic
02.22.2019 , 07:38 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
So I genuinely want to ask the question in the title: should the Influencers get preferential treatment?
A large part of this has to be answered in the context of what it is perceived that influencers have done for the game. A large reason studios use this approach is because the influencers are perceived to be personalities that will positively sway a larger community to either try out a game or continue playing it. Influencers are a promotional mechanism. But over reliance on them has proven to be somewhat counter-productive in the industry.

Beyond that, influencers can drive content decisions. How much and to what extent that happens is much more opaque whereas the above is a bit more visible as a general rule.

So people have to ask: has the impact of influencers been felt on this game? Have you seen the game being talked about more widely and more broadly? Has it been reviewed consistently by many outlets as a result of influencers making sure the game is being noted for what it provides? Or have you seen the reverse? Have you seen more positive word of mouth rather than the reverse? Have various decisions made by the studio seemed to resonate well or not so well with the broader audience?

That last point helps understand how "in touch" the so-called influencers are but it also leaves open how much the influencers are actually listened to as well. (When everything is closed off, we have no idea which is the case. Which can make both sides look bad.)

There are tons of case studies out there about the impact (or lack thereof) of influencers. Two good ones:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ity-a-mile-off

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-for-your-game

So the general answer as to whether "preferential treatment" should be accorded to so-called influencers has to be predicated around the perceived and actual impact of those influencers on the game itself. "Influence" is a concept that is measurable but the more opaque the influencer mechanism is, the less that measure is useful.

kodrac
02.22.2019 , 08:03 AM | #26
TBecause they may deny it or not, but one of the current Influencers' main concerns is getting more followers. Why not include some people into the programme who don't have that as a primary concern? Who aren't tied to community creation, merely community engagement?
That's one of my concerns as well. The influencers that have posted in the other thread already feels like a promo spot to get more viewers of their YouTube channel thereby making themselves more money. Like, I don't need the sales pitch for your channel, I already play the game. BW gives them perks, YouTube gives them money, it's a win-win seemingly, but how much does the pressure of making that YouTube money influence their content and how much of the be nice to us requirement influence what gets covered?

Then, of course, there''s the obvious problem of why make it so damn hard to get your voice heard? Why should we have to jump through hoops to kiss up to someone who also has to jump through hoops? There's a forum. A direct line to the company, supposedly. Why is it such a difficult concept for their "Community Team" to use it?
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

kodrac
02.22.2019 , 08:10 AM | #27
It's outrageous that it has come to this. They've kept us in the dark about these special Influencer forums and engaged with them freely there, while completely ignoring us here and believing it was fine. That's not how customers should he treated, right? Because we pay our subs the same way the Influencers do.
Yeah, that would be BW's doing, not the influencers. Does that honestly surprise anyone?
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

Ylliarus
02.22.2019 , 08:50 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
That's one of my concerns as well. The influencers that have posted in the other thread already feels like a promo spot to get more viewers of their YouTube channel thereby making themselves more money. Like, I don't need the sales pitch for your channel, I already play the game. BW gives them perks, YouTube gives them money, it's a win-win seemingly, but how much does the pressure of making that YouTube money influence their content and how much of the be nice to us requirement influence what gets covered?

Then, of course, there''s the obvious problem of why make it so damn hard to get your voice heard? Why should we have to jump through hoops to kiss up to someone who also has to jump through hoops? There's a forum. A direct line to the company, supposedly. Why is it such a difficult concept for their "Community Team" to use it?
You're hitting the nail right on the head if you ask me. Even if some of the actions of the Bioware Influencers aren't focused on generating new followers and keeping old ones, they have the disguised disadvantage of their actions always being perceived as self-promotion. Which is why I think there also should be a neutral party amongst the Influencers. Someone who has absolutely no interest in getting more followers, generating content and self-promotion. I really wouldn't mind the forums getting their own Influencer, especially if we could elect them. That would create a certain fairness to the current situation.

But in the end it's just endless hoops to jump through. We don't need the Influencers speaking on our behalf, we could do that ourselves here if only the devs communicated with us more. And the fact they're getting attacked by some severely messed up people when they come here is a valid concern but not an excuse to cease all communication with the playerbase. It's not okay to only stick to the private forums because no one's going to bite there. That's shutting yourself off and if you do that, how can you get an objective image of what your customers want?
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]

EricMusco
02.22.2019 , 08:56 AM | #29 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
*snip*
So I genuinely want to ask the question in the title: should the Influencers get preferential treatment? I mean, why not give the normal players - us mortals - the same level of engagement, transparency and communication?
*snip*
We agree completely, even beyond the Influencers, no group should be receiving more engagement or transparency then anyone else (outside of specific circumstances, like Closed PTS, etc). As I highlighted in the other thread, I think there is a misconception that since an Influencer forum exists that it is the place that we are spending all of our time and that is where game information is being shared, which isn't the case.

I know a lot of these concerns are coming from a place of frustration where many of you feel that there is a lack of information being shared or feedback not being taken by us often enough. I don't want to speak for the Influencers, but I can tell you they have been expressing the same concerns both privately, and in their content.

I started a new thread here to talk about our gathering of feedback, so please head there and weigh in. We have made strides the past year (especially around PTS) to improve this but there is always more we can do.

Thanks all.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ylliarus
02.22.2019 , 09:10 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
We agree completely, even beyond the Influencers, no group should be receiving more engagement or transparency then anyone else (outside of specific circumstances, like Closed PTS, etc). As I highlighted in the other thread, I think there is a misconception that since an Influencer forum exists that it is the place that we are spending all of our time and that is where game information is being shared, which isn't the case.

I know a lot of these concerns are coming from a place of frustration where many of you feel that there is a lack of information being shared or feedback not being taken by us often enough. I don't want to speak for the Influencers, but I can tell you they have been expressing the same concerns both privately, and in their content.

I started a new thread here to talk about our gathering of feedback, so please head there and weigh in. We have made strides the past year (especially around PTS) to improve this but there is always more we can do.

Thanks all.

-eric
If anything I am happy this subject has sparked the thread you linked and a discussion about this subject. The response is very much appreciated, which I hope is something we'll see more of. More meaningful responses to players' concerns, questions and threads. Of course we don't expect everything to receive a response, but it would be great to just see more communication happen. Not just brief sentences of acknowledgement, but meaningful communication like this subject has received.
The Lecyllath Legacy
Darth Malgus [EU]