Not a "new" player but very confused

DarkCrossing

Don't know what happened but maybe someone could help. Customer Service tried to help but I'm still having the same problem

For some reason my LVL 45 Jedi Sentinel's powers are not activating. Only 2 powers activate and when U use them they take forever to come back. Customer service told me I may have accidentally opened the tutorials in the background by pressing ESC key, press ESC again and if tutorials are opened close them. Not opened, but to make sure opened and closed them. Didn't solve the problem. Next I used the "Repair" function at the game launcher. It ran said repairs were made and program was fixed. No, same thing. The same two powers open at combat, nothing else will open and the two powers that DO open take forever to come back! I hate to do it, but if I can't find a solution I'm ready to delete the character and start over again!

If you have abilities that cannot be used, the icon for the ability in your toolbar will be dark. It is fully "lit up"/colorful when the ability is able to be used. The icons will be darkened if:

1) You do not have the correct weapon or weapons equipped, for example, the ability requires two sabers.

2) Your target is out of range

3) In the case of Knights, the ability requires Focus and you have none, like at the start of combat.

4) In the case of Sentinels, the ability requires 30 stacks of Centering, which, again, you won't have at the start of combat.

You can go to the Preferences menu (look for the two interlocked gears on the menu bar at the very top). Then under User Interface on the left side, browse the right-sided window until you see a section which talks about displaying cooldown text and seconds remaining. When you enable these options and adjust the slider to display the countdown and tenths of a second, a countdown will appear over ability icons once you use them, counting down until the ability is of cooldown and ready to be used again. By watching these countdowns, you should be able to see if an ability is not coming off cooldown in the proper amount of time. If an ability's tooltip says it has a cooldown of 10 seconds and it is taking longer than 10 seconds for it to come back, then there is either severe lag on your end or you have corrupted assets.

I'm going to assume that the problem you are experiencing is much more fundamental than a matter of your alacrity rating, so I won't discuss that character stat here.

EDIT: Like Mike_Carton said, you are much better off creating a new character and seeing if the problem recurs than deleting your old one. If there is something "physically" wrong with your internet connection or installed file assets, it will occur with any toon regardless, so making a new toon saves you from the waste of deleting what may be a perfectly fine character as far as the server is concerned. If the same thing happens with a new character, then I'd look into re-installing the game rather than deleting your main.

Edited by phalczen

As I wrote in a thread before, I have a Sniper, and only that character, that doesn't show comparative tool tips for tacticals (explained better in that thread).

So, you can have glitches that affect just one character.

Unfortunately, I have no solution for you. Because it's a relative minor thing, I haven't tried to 'fix' it. I'm just now wondering what would happen if I transferred the character to a different server and/or copied it to the PTS.

(Just as a possibility. Transferring a character to a different server, and back, cost CC. 😏 But copying to the PTS is free).

I think the character data is held server side, so possibly BW may be able to 'refresh' a character?

Edited by JediQuaker

I think the character data is held server side,

It must be held server side while you're not playing(0)(1), although when you're logged in, clearly the client side has a copy of it so it can draw the character without going back to the server on *every* frame.(2)

(0) So you can log on to your SWTOR account from any PC and play the character.

(1) But some UI-ish settings are held locally on the PC. If you delete a character and create a new one with the same name on the same PC, it acquires a lot of the previous incarnation's UI settings.

(2) What do I look like now? What about now? What about now? What about now? ===> No, just no.

I tested this on 3 characters.

Sniper (Marksman) - Comparative tooltips not working with a Tactical equipped and another in Legacy Storage, Cargo Hold, Inventory, or on a quickbar.

Sage (Telekinetics) - Same as above

Vanguard (Tactics) - Comparative tooltips working (all cases)

I initiated a character transfer to PTS to see if that changes this behavior.

Update: Transferring the characters to PTS did not change the comparative tooltip behavior. So, this is either a Discipline thing or something to do with specific Tacticals.

Edited by mike_carton

Update: Transferring the characters to PTS did not change the comparative tooltip behavior. So, this is either a Discipline thing or something to do with specific Tacticals.

Speaking of tacticals - there is a tactical for Slinger/Sniper that causes splash damage. Before doing an MM FP with some guildies, I had removed that tactical and replaced it with Sniper Siege, but my character kept doing splash damage anyway. That caused a few problems with cc'ing. 😅

(The effect has since stopped.)