Cover Fix

dougan

Every GS/Sniper knows how clunky and buggy cover is currently.

My proposed fix is this:

If an ability that requires cover is used when the character is not in cover, the player is instantly dropped into cover and the ability activates.

This eliminates so much of the clunkiness that these ACs experience with trying to get into cover.

My proposed fix is this:

If an ability that requires cover is used when the character is not in cover, the player is instantly dropped into cover and the ability activates.

This eliminates so much of the clunkiness that these ACs experience with trying to get into cover.

Said the same thing in a big thread of cover changes here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2787883#post2787883

It's especially important if you are fumbling to get into cover to pop Hunker Down or Pulse Detonator but end up getting killed because you have to press 2 buttons to the enemy's 1.

Edited by Mapex

Said the same thing in a big thread of cover changes here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2787883#post2787883

It's especially important if you are fumbling to get into cover to pop Hunker Down or Pulse Detonator but end up getting killed because you have to press 2 buttons to the enemy's 1.

Nice I didn't catch that in that thread.

lol funny.

But then again GS/sniper just sit there and don't have to worry about facing etc. Having to enter cover first is not an issue. No need to simplify the game further.

lol funny.

But then again GS/sniper just sit there and don't have to worry about facing etc. Having to enter cover first is not an issue. No need to simplify the game further.

Here again, people excusing stupid, clunky mechanics because they think it "balances" the class. Very common with TOR.

My proposed fix is this:

Are you using "Take Cover" or "Crouch?" I originally used Take Cover, but i use Crouch now and it has removed all the issues you described. I drop instantly into cover and use my moves.

Are you using "Take Cover" or "Crouch?" I originally used Take Cover, but i use Crouch now and it has removed all the issues you described. I drop instantly into cover and use my moves.

What is the difference between Crouch and Take Cover. Doesn't both Crouch and Take Cover either drop you into the shield cover or move you behind real cover?

What is the difference between Crouch and Take Cover. Doesn't both Crouch and Take Cover either drop you into the shield cover or move you behind real cover?

Take Cover either drops your shield where your standing, or rolls you into cover (if you are facing one of those green siloutettes). Crouch just drops your shield where your standing.

If you use Crouch behind cover, you will still get the benefit from being behind cover.

The main reason i switched to Crouch was because Take Cover kept making me roll into cover too close to enemies, causing them to aggro on me. IMO Crouch is just more reliable.

Take Cover either drops your shield where your standing, or rolls you into cover (if you are facing one of those green siloutettes). Crouch just drops your shield where your standing.

If you use Crouch behind cover, you will still get the benefit from being behind cover.

The main reason i switched to Crouch was because Take Cover kept making me roll into cover too close to enemies, causing them to aggro on me. IMO Crouch is just more reliable.

Just have both, look if there's a green body somewhere and if there is hit the other keybind. Personally I have Take Cover(The one that rolls) on F, and the one that crouches in place on Alt+F.

I use both. Regardless of which method you use, you're still hitting two buttons to activate one ability.

I see what your saying, but i dont think there is anyway around that. It's a class mechanic. We have moves we can do out of cover, but if you really want to get down to business and lay down some serious dps you have to get into cover.

Its like complaining a stealth class has to go into stealth before they use an stealth-only move.

Personally, i played a druid through most of my WoW experience, so it took almost no adjusting for me to enter into my stationary cat-form to dps.

I see what your saying, but i dont think there is anyway around that. It's a class mechanic. We have moves we can do out of cover, but if you really want to get down to business and lay down some serious dps you have to get into cover.

Its like complaining a stealth class has to go into stealth before they use an stealth-only move.

Personally, i played a druid through most of my WoW experience, so it took almost no adjusting for me to enter into my stationary cat-form to dps.

There is a way around that, the original poster gave the answer - for which I wholeheartedly agree.

Also, even though it has been three years for me since I played WoW, I think I still remember you didnt need to leave cat form first to cast NS+HT.

Take Cover is slightly slower than Crouch as it does several things in series

(1) Validate your selected hard cover spot with the server.

(2) Roll you into any selected spot / slide into selected spot if close

if that fails

(3) Crouch

So, at the minimum, Take Cover will add client server latency on top of your personal reaction time and default ability activation latency.

Both abilities offer the same benefit: If an object interrupts line of sight between you and an enemy, you gain cover benefits against the enemy.

For PvP specifically, where you need precise control of your character, I really recommend using Crouch (default: shift-f) over Take Cover. There's definitely cases where Take Cover is very useful (you can bridge large distances by rolling into cover), but when faced with fast moving enemies that know how to play line of sight or obstacles like The Pit's fires, you're better off and faster using Crouch. It may take a little bit to get used to using both effectively, but it definitely helps.

Take Cover is slightly slower than Crouch as it does several things in series

(1) Validate your selected hard cover spot with the server.

(2) Roll you into any selected spot / slide into selected spot if close

if that fails

(3) Crouch

So, at the minimum, Take Cover will add client server latency on top of your personal reaction time and default ability activation latency.

Both abilities offer the same benefit: If an object interrupts line of sight between you and an enemy, you gain cover benefits against the enemy.

For PvP specifically, where you need precise control of your character, I really recommend using Crouch (default: shift-f) over Take Cover. There's definitely cases where Take Cover is very useful (you can bridge large distances by rolling into cover), but when faced with fast moving enemies that know how to play line of sight or obstacles like The Pit's fires, you're better off and faster using Crouch. It may take a little bit to get used to using both effectively, but it definitely helps.

Awesome info and Thanks!

Now something I'm sure everyone else can answer. If I crouch, but I'm not hiding behind anything. I definitely don't get 'cover' bonuses, right?

Edited by Calimwulf

Now something I'm sure everyone else can answer. If I crouch, but I'm not hiding behind anything. I definitely don't get 'cover' bonuses, right?

This is something I've always wondered with the cover screen that Gunslinger/Snipers get. When I drop straight into cover screen/crouch on the spot... people like to try and run around 'behind me'. Like it makes some sort of difference. Which from everything I have seen in taking damage, survivability, and dishing damage... it does not.

Even though the 'graphic' is in front of you, it seems to still give you all the benefits of cover even to enemies who are attacking you from behind. However taking hard cover (behind an object) it DOES make a difference if an enemy comes around behind you or not.

As a side note, when you drop to cover screen, they cannot break Line of Sight by simply running to behind you (you turn and shoot them either way).

Be curious to get any sort of official word on "Does cover screen still protect you from rear enemies?"

This is something I've always wondered with the cover screen that Gunslinger/Snipers get. When I drop straight into cover screen/crouch on the spot... people like to try and run around 'behind me'. Like it makes some sort of difference. Which from everything I have seen in taking damage, survivability, and dishing damage... it does not.

Even though the 'graphic' is in front of you, it seems to still give you all the benefits of cover even to enemies who are attacking you from behind. However taking hard cover (behind an object) it DOES make a difference if an enemy comes around behind you or not.

As a side note, when you drop to cover screen, they cannot break Line of Sight by simply running to behind you (you turn and shoot them either way).

Be curious to get any sort of official word on "Does cover screen still protect you from rear enemies?"

Hey,

I'll gladly clear this up for you. The official word would be this:

There are two major benefits from cover (in addition to various skills on the Gunslinger/Sniper that make cover an integral part of their gameplay).

(1) People cannot hit you with most ranged attacks while you have cover against them (as in: you are crouched behind an object that breaks line of sight). It does not matter if you used 'Take Cover' or 'Crouch' to get behind the object, the net result is the same. This benefit is available to both the Sniper/Gunslinger and the Scoundrel/Operative and players that remember to take advantage of it can avoid a lot of incoming damage, at least against ranged classes.

(2) Cover screen and Hold Position on the Sniper/Gunslinger Advanced class.

This is a passive ability granted at level 10 upon choosing this advanced class. It creates that small energy shield in front of the player and gives them a 20% ranged defense boost against attacks from any direction.

Ranged defense is used to determine if a target can hit you with a ranged weapon. The higher your ranged defense, the higher the attacker's accuracy must be to compensate. The bigger the difference in your favor, the more likely enemies will miss. (It's a common misconception that 100% accuracy means you hit 100% of the time.) Other factors such as level difference, etc. also come into play of course, but that's it in a nutshell.

Additionally, hold position makes the character immune to interrupts and ability pushback (i.e. activation time increasing when taking damage).

Benefit (1) can be cancelled by simply walking around the target and shooting them in the back (or using melee attacks)

Benefit (2) is active 360 degrees around the target and requires your target to knock you out of cover to be cancelled.

Hope that clears it up.

-- Georg

There are a couple other reasons to go behind, if you play a scoundrel/operative/shadow/assassin, you have moves that only work from behind an enemy. Some people will still run behind just from habit. Other reasons could involve not wanting to be knocked back in a certain direction, but if going behind you makes a better knockback for you vs them, then they just don't know. Cover is a unique function that, if not experienced by the player first hand, can be a mystery.

As for whether it provides bonuses, when you drop into cover on gunslinger/sniper, your Defense stat immediately gets 20% bonus, iirc. That bonus is not direction dependent as far as I know, so should always apply. Ballistic dampeners should be the same as well.

There are a couple other reasons to go behind, if you play a scoundrel/operative/shadow/assassin, you have moves that only work from behind an enemy.

Yup. I knew that bit... and when I see those kinds of players trying to move around me, I just hop up and pop right back down in cover... thwarting them and going NEENEER as I charge up my aimed shot to throw them back and off that cliff ;)

I never did pay attention to when the cover screen defense buff is applied. Good information on that, thanks.

Edited by Frigidman