Could use some first hand experience!

Hexxim

I recently wanted to start reading Star Wars books. A few years back i read one and i really enjoyed it, however now i cant seem to recall what one.

I would like to delve more into the master-padawan insightful books, but i'm open to anything that has to do with the Jedi/Sith ways.

So, from your personal experience, any suggestions?

I recently wanted to start reading Star Wars books. A few years back i read one and i really enjoyed it, however now i cant seem to recall what one.

I would like to delve more into the master-padawan insightful books, but i'm open to anything that has to do with the Jedi/Sith ways.

So, from your personal experience, any suggestions?

I'd recommend both the Jedi Path and the Book of Sith. Those are the two books I can think of at the moment that you would like. And since they are written "In Universe" The book of Sith has a section written by Darth Malgus.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Jedi_Path:_A_Manual_for_Students_of_the_Force_(real-life_book)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Book_of_Sith:_Secrets_from_the_Dark_Side_(real-life_book)

Dude. read the Darth Bane trilogy. Like now.

Ok now that that's done, some other great series/books.

If you have played KOTOR and KOTOR 2, I highly recommend the novel Revan. If you haven't played these games however you might be lost. The purpose of this novel is to connect the KOTOR games with SWTOR. It gets a bad rap because people have their own version of Revan and the Exile in their head (because they are RPG's of course), but if you play through the canon storylines of KOTOR1+2 you will love it.

I,Jedi is an amazing standalone novel that takes place after Episode 6 following a 1st person storyline of Jedi/fighter pilot Corran Horn and his mission to rescue his wife. This also connects to the Old Republic era in an interesting way with the ancient dark lord Exar Kun.

I would NOT recommend the Thrawn Trilogy or the Hand of Thrawn duology novels for two reasons.

1) EP 7

2) Zahn is extremely minimalist with force powers, so not a lot of interesting Jedi stuff here.

If you are interested in learning about the first conflict between Republic and Empire and want to learn the "backstory" to this game read the Tales of the Jedi comic series. Then play KOTOR. Then play KOTOR 2. Then read Revan. You get the idea.

Other comics I would reccomend would be Knights of the Old Republic. Not really connected to the main storyline of this era but a humorous story about a Jedi misfit turned bad@ss. Great characters. Cool Mandos.

Legacy comics. Luke's far ancestor. Jedi, bounty hunter, drug addict, its dark and awesome.

GL!

Edited by Jemfisto

If you have played KOTOR and KOTOR 2, I highly recommend the novel Revan. If you haven't played these games however you might be lost. The purpose of this novel is to connect the KOTOR games with SWTOR. It gets a bad rap because people have their own version of Revan and the Exile in their head (because they are RPG's of course), but if you play through the canon storylines of KOTOR1+2 you will love it.

i agree with this.

I LOVED kotor (thought kotor 2 was good, if it had been complete i could have loved it too). i really enjoyed reading Revan. and if you do play kotor 1/2 before reading revan as Jem stated try playing the canon version which would be a Male Light side character in kotor 1 and a female light side character in kotor 2, that way you can relate better to the book.

because obviously if you played only the dark side versions then the book would be screwy

I, Jedi is pretty good, and I like how it fills in some of the plot holes of other stories written in that time frame. But there's a lot of that one that wouldn't really make much sense without reading the Rogue Squadron series or the Thrawn Trilogy. And those have pretty much nothing to do with Jedi, though they do make the average non-force powered citizens and military stuff really interesting.

As such I wouldn't really recommend that one as a resource for understanding Sith versus Jedi philosophy, which is what I think the original question was asking about.

Revan is... Well, it provides insights into the swtor story, but also not one I'd recommend as a Jedi/Sith primer. Book of the Sith would be good, or Darth Bane books as previously mentioned. Kotor 1 and 2 are also excellent and illustrative of force powers and the dichotomy between Sith and Jedi, but I'm only experienced with the games, not the comics.

Edited by Bytemite