Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Scaling Tech in Group Content Feedback

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Scaling Tech in Group Content Feedback
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cibacrome
Yesterday , 02:44 AM | #101
Tweaking the numbers will improve things, but the more I run scaled group content the more I'm convinced it's a terrible way to go about this, and will seriously damage the game.

Every HM/NiM operation besides the newest will be scaled down. That means current gear/stats are largely pointless. Power and Mastery hardcap means no relic procs, no power adrenal, might as well toss all your mods and augs with power/mastery out because they will have NO effect at all, the only stats that will matter are tertiary.

Which inevitably will funnel us towards two sets of gear - one for new content, and one for everything else. One using stats the way we know them now, and the other stacking the only thing that matters, crit & alacrity, since power & mastery just don't matter.

And this will be the case for the overwhelming majority of content available to play for the forseeable future.

So unless Bioware changes the scaling methodology and ACTUALLY scales all stats (I'm not sure how hardcaps can be called scaling to begin with, but i'm no math wiz or coder)... well my personal prediction is people are going to lose interest very quickly if their gear progression has almost no effect in the majority of content, or to get that effect they'll need to keep two or more sets of gear/stats.

Restoman
Yesterday , 04:03 AM | #102
The idea is not bad at all. Having the same output, HP numbers etc. like back in the day when the ops was released and making gear have no impact is good too, that means it cannot be overgeared when new tiers of gear release and the difficulty can stay somewhat the same throughout patches/expansions.

However it is not working well just like the above post said. For older content people would be making a second set of gear that is more optimal, tanks stacking high defense mods because why not if endurance and power is capped anyway, everyone using crit relics and adrenals, even healers would use the yellow stims for that minimal crit coz everything else would be useless, that's pretty retarded.

So some of my ideas are:
Maybe disable the effect of relics completely. Or have them all scale, more work and not even needed i guess.
Make all stats have a predetermined value for tanks/dps/healer role but alacrity and accuracy, and also have alacrity cap at exactly 1,3s gcd.
For adrenals since we are scaled down to 55 anything with level requirement above that shouldn't be available for use; consumables from older expansions could be added to vendors with a proper price or they would be only available from crafting just like before. Or the adrenals from newer expansions would scale and ignore the stat cap just like medpac does atm.
Well scaling output down to the way it was meant to be goes without saying.

Scaling stuff up to 75 once again isn't bad either, that means the numbers will be similar to what the current tier raid (Dxun) has and that is fun too for pushind dps and it makes it less confusing as for what "good dps is"...
Also I don't think in swtor there are so many raids that it's too much work making them 75? If it were wow things could've been different.
Jaed - <B a d a s s i t u d e> sales officer
Darth Malgus server
NiM mounts and titles sale runs for credits:
https://goo.gl/LUzMsD

KendraP
Yesterday , 10:20 AM | #103
What's the difference really between scaling everyone down vs scaling the dps/hps/whatever up?

Or is the implication that the only Op that will drop gear for level 75 be the one new op? Or is sub level content dropping max level gear?

Zinadu
Yesterday , 11:12 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Restoman View Post
The idea is not bad at all. Having the same output, HP numbers etc. like back in the day when the ops was released and making gear have no impact is good too, that means it cannot be overgeared when new tiers of gear release and the difficulty can stay somewhat the same throughout patches/expansions.
This is the real problem with scaled down ops with hard caps. As you get better gear it won't matter for 95% of the raid content in the game.

So that means if you get the best nim gear the only raid you'll feel any difference in is Dxun. So it literally means you either gear for a single raid, or don't bother trying to improve gear at all really. And if gear will only matter for a single raid why even make gear and not just hard cap stats by level and class so everything is "tuned perfectly"