Future Content...

Malckiah

Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5  

15,252 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for what you want most for future content...Pick up to 5

Well I'm not gonna try to support your theory, my opinion is that the sample here is terribly small and statistically unreliable, not to mention extremely vulnerable to manipulation.

Mine is not a theory, it is mathematics. But you are entitled to your opinion. Don't get me wrong polling in this way is flawed, but the number of responses and the data gathered has value.

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is not a theory, it is mathematics. But you are entitled to your opinion. Don't get me wrong polling in this way is flawed, but the number of responses and the data gathered has value.

I agree with that - all data has value :)

The interesting thing on this poll though is to observe where the breakdown in numbers became stable. Which was back around 200 pollers. Since that point.. the shift in the breakdown of numbers has been very small (in the noise really of the polling accuracy).

This is a demonstration that the poll has acquired statistical significance within the population being polled. Yeah.. it's only polling active subscribers..but that is known and is in fact the premise of the poll... to ask the paying customers what they want to see in the future. So I don't agree in this case that it violates the self-selection rule (given that the way it is structured it does not encourage any given subscriber to be more (or less) likely to vote. The OP benefits here by having a clearly defined sample aperture (paying subscribers) as opposed to the silly open range polls Lord R tried to apply earlier which are total uncontrolled polling apertures.

I was LMAO at people complaining that the poll was a sampling of a small minority of players. Derp.. that's the definition of polls... as opposed to voting referendums. :D

Now.. if we saw the breakdown numbers continue to swing wildly as we added poll votes.. then yeah.. the poll is not stable in terms of statistical significance. Frankly, I am surprised it settled as early as it did. This suggests the active forum members are in more harmony then day to day thread discussion would lead us to believe.

Edited by Andryah

That's still not a good sample. I'd be willing to bet that most players of this game and most potential players of this game never visit mmorpg.com.
I'd be willing to bet that most players of this game ... and likely most potential players of this game ... rarely if ever visit these forums let alone MMORPG.com. Reading their stuff is like reading the Daily Globe. Sensationalist propaganda sells. Any poll they produce would be taken mostly by either banned players or smear merchants. I doubt if more than a handful of people who play the game for real would ever go there to complete a poll or fill out a survey.

People whose inputs are in the minority of a poll's results (and who also possess an insatiable need to win arguments) have a penchant for defending their position by claiming that the poll is flawed. There is nothing to defend because the results are what they are. Besides this poll thread is all of, what ... two days old?

Edited by GalacticKegger

Though only a small fraction of players actively read/use the forums, from anecdotal evidence in-game, the poll is quite accurate on what folks would like to see with future expansions/patches.

Even if expensive, I hope the investment that would potentially be made in making some of these categories a reality (for me, especially new class stories and minigames) gets some attention from BW.

Insults...typical.

You're claiming that 369 people voting in a poll (less likely since we all know how easy it is to refresh your IP address and vote more than once) is "statistically significant"? LOL! No...it's miniscule.

For that to make sense, you'd have to ignore that the forum setup remembers which accounts already voted. Generic website polls might allow vote-stuffing, but one must be logged in to do anything here.

Edited by Palar

Well, regardless of the divisiveness of this particular poll, it has attracted attention and results, so hopefully Bioware can at least use that as a starting point and email out their own poll.

Which people will then proceed to complain about when the results don't include their favourite thing at the tippy-top. But at least it would be a wider sample size.

In-game statistics are far more accurate and I'm fairly sure that whatever Bioware needs to know, they'll just check what the game itself says. For instance...

A lot of people - me included I might add - would like to see more class storyline content, but assuming Bioware has the tools to check how much of the former and current player base actually finished the lot of them, what point a poll such as this serves, compared with real-time, accurate statistics so to speak?

Again, this is just fodder for someone who's desperately trying to cling to the possibility that some stuff MAY happen... Bioware couldn't care less about it, since they have far more precise instruments to gather all the data they need.

For that to make sense, you'd have to ignore that the forum setup remembers which accounts already voted. Generic website polls might allow vote-stuffing, but one must be logged in to do anything here.
Bingo. The primary rule for participation in this poll is one player = one vote. Can't be bent, twisted or massaged. Like it or not, the numbers speak for themselves.

Bingo. The primary rule for participation in this poll is one player = one vote. Can't be bent, twisted or massaged. Like it or not, the numbers speak for themselves.

People that don't like the results will still use the same "Forumites are aliens!" defense, and argue vehemently that a player who doesn't visit the forums couldn't possibly, ever share a similar opinion as one who does. :rolleyes:

Edited by Callaron

In-game statistics are far more accurate and I'm fairly sure that whatever Bioware needs to know, they'll just check what the game itself says. For instance...

A lot of people - me included I might add - would like to see more class storyline content, but assuming Bioware has the tools to check how much of the former and current player base actually finished the lot of them, what point a poll such as this serves, compared with real-time, accurate statistics so to speak?

Again, this is just fodder for someone who's desperately trying to cling to the possibility that some stuff MAY happen... Bioware couldn't care less about it, since they have far more precise instruments to gather all the data they need.

Well, based on my "activity" Bioware would see that I raid a lot more than I play class stories, and idle on Fleet more than I raid (most days.) If they use that as a basis of working out what things I like, "idling on Fleet" is highest on the list and the easiest thing for them to develop.

Well, based on my "activity" Bioware would see that I raid a lot more than I play class stories, and idle on Fleet more than I raid (most days.) If they use that as a basis of working out what things I like, "idling on Fleet" is highest on the list and the easiest thing for them to develop.

Who knows? Maybe it's actually THAT accurate. :cool:

Would explain why most of the updates thus far have been for the Cartel Market :p

Congratulations. At the first glance of the words "cartel" and "market", even separately, that's one more developer being forced to work in stuff for the CM. I hope you're proud of yourself. :mad:

I'm kidding of course. Big Brother isn't watching... Is he?

Edited by Darth_Wicked

They probably know every little detail.

Including how much time you spent "idle" in front of the twi'lek holo dancers, the shirtless twi'lek dancer in the Cartel Bazaar or that Jaesa in her slave girl outfit on your ship. :rak_03:

On a more serious note; yeah, I believe they keep track of a lot of things, they do it for Dragon Age and their other single player RPGs, so it would surprise me to find out that Swtor was an exception.

Edited by Callaron

well, based on my "activity" bioware would see that i raid a lot more than i play class stories, and idle on fleet more than i raid (most days.) if they use that as a basis of working out what things i like, "idling on fleet" is highest on the list and the easiest thing for them to develop.
lmao! They probably used your analytics to come up with the <shift><click> GTN field population function. :D Edited by GalacticKegger

They probably know every little detail.

Including how much time you spent "idle" in front of the twi'lek holo dancers, the shirtless twi'lek dancer in the Cartel Bazaar or that Jaesa in her slave girl outfit on your ship. :rak_03:

On a more serious note; yeah, I believe they keep track of a lot of things, they do it for Dragon Age and their other single player RPGs, so it would surprise me to find out that Swtor was an exception.

Indeed. I still remember reading some stuff, where they knew exactly how many people had finished ME2, how many of them had played with FemShep and all that stuff.

EDIT:

Here it is...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/25/mass-effect-3-infographic/

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Congratulations. At the first glance of the words "cartel" and "market", even separately, that's one more developer being forced to work in stuff for the CM. I hope you're proud of yourself. :mad:

I'm kidding of course. Big Brother isn't watching... Is he?

Hey, if it means getting the gender restrictions removed from the dancer gear, you can thank my Agent's glistening, muscled thighs :D

Indeed. I still remember reading some stuff, where they knew exactly how many people had finished ME2, how many of them had played with FemShep and all that stuff.

EDIT:

Here it is...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/25/mass-effect-3-infographic/

Yep.

And that's pretty much just the tip of the iceberg.

If you read the Bioware social forums you can sometimes come across a dev post where they say something about knowing who is the most popular romance companion, how many people have finished the romance, how far into the story they got, what the most popular specializations are...

Bioware is pretty much Big Brother when it comes to their games. :p

Edited by Callaron

Yep.

And that's pretty much just the tip of the iceberg.

If you read the Bioware social forums you can sometimes come across a dev post where they say something about knowing who is the most popular romance companion, how many people have finished the romance, how far into the story they got, what the most popular specializations are...

Bioware is pretty much Big Brother when it comes to their games. :p

They all are. A big reason I am NOT migrating my firm's operations into the cloud except as a department of redundancy department archival recovery channel in case our removable failover media is somehow destroyed. Edited by GalacticKegger

yeah fine, sample pool, this is a fan sample pool of a non representative group, called SUBSCRIBERS.

Here I found a REAL poll done at the mmorpg.com forums where EVERYONE has a say, Unsubbers, Subbers, F2P, everyone. And what a surprise almost no one cares about "add more class story", what a surprise

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366922/poll-Which-top-feature-to-get-yourself-interested-in-the-game-again.html

370 votes, same sample size - almost 60% want a space sim, top answer followed by minigames and player housing

(other not listed, i.e. companions, class story, 16%)

here is another one

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384156/What-SWTOR-really-needs.html

Not everyone has a say there either. I would have to create an account on the cesspool that is that website in order to vote.

They can put up more of those event lead-in screens, and have them show random mini-cinematics for idlers to watch!

"Welcome back to Force News - tonight, our expose on Corellian Whiskey. Will it give your companions the Rakghoul virus?"

Or something less stupid...