Copying Keybinds/Settings Between Characters

Yfelsung

Originally this post was a question about copying keybinds and UI settings between characters.

Now, I've discovered you can copy certain UI settings between characters by finding a file in your AppData/SWTOR folder that will have your character's name in it.

Unfortunately it seems keybinds are saved server side. While this is nice for people who play on multiple PCs, it's not as nice when you don't add a feature to make your keybindings universal across all characters.

I'd like this thread to remain as a discussion about this UI feature and other UI features we'd like put into the stock game.

Edited by Yfelsung

The keymap and some other settings are stored server-side in TOR. So no, you won't be able to copy them from one character to the other, unless Bioware either changes it to be client-side or adds an option/tool to copy the server-side settings from one character to the other.

On a side note, some per-character GUI settings are being saved in %LOCALAPPDATA%\SWTOR\swtor\settings\<serverCode>_<characterName>_PlayerGUIState.ini

Edited by Glzmo

The keymap and some other settings are stored server-side in TOR.

So they are in LOTRO, but Turbine had the common sense to provide a way for them to be saved on to your PC and then loaded into another character.

The absence of this is crass, given the time it can take to set things up the way someone wants them.

Edited by KerinKor

So they are in LOTRO, but Turbine had the common sense to provide a way for them to be saved on to your PC and then loaded into another character.

The absence of this is crass, given the time it can take to set things up the way someone wants them.

It is a little baffling. This game has done nearly everything right but dropped the ball in many small places.

• 1 month later...
Other games which I won't mention have managed to do without this for, oh, seven years or so. It's hardly a priority one issue. :)

If you're indicating WoW, then you would be mistaken. They *do* have the ability to use the same customized keybinds across all characters, as do many other games I've played.

I use the same (as close as possible at least) binds across all the games I play, and should not have to be forced to use somebody else's choices.

Edited by BayBlast

. . .

In games with a fully customizable UI, I would agree with this. However, the only things that can be 'set up the way someone wants them' are the Keybinds and chat (channel colors, channels and tabs). It took me no time at all to set up keybinds for my alts. That said, I do think it was incredibly stupid that Bioware did not give an import/export/copy type setting. But then, I think Bioware has done lots of stupid things with this game. ^.^

This is deserving of a bump. Please add a way to do this! I have a 17 button mouse, and I hate having to set up all of the keybinds for that on top of my normal keybinds every time I make a new character, plus the other miscellaneous changes I like to make.

Unfortunately it seems keybinds are saved server side. While this is nice for people who play on multiple PCs, it's not as nice when you don't add a feature to make your keybindings universal across all characters.

I would love an option to carry keybindings over to other characters.

I would hope that even if this was implemented it would be optional, each class is different and I'd prefer not to have standard keybindings on all characters, if I switch a keybinding on my Jedi for ease of play I don't want my higher lever smuggler's binding changed as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

1 year later and nothing has been done to allow players to copy Keybinding settings from a character to another.

It's stupid considering the devs put so much effort in making class story interesting so people would love to play different characters.

Edited by Koyy

• 6 months later...