Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The state of Solo Ranked and Season 11

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
The state of Solo Ranked and Season 11

LinkinPein
02.09.2019 , 08:50 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidAtkinson View Post
You need to focus on rewards only and getting enough tokens to buy yourself something for your effort in ranked... and for enduring all the bs that comes with you que.

If you are fixated on ratings and flairs that mean nothing, you are just feeding your frustrations. I agree with what you posted, it has been my experience as well. I qued up until november and my win - loss rations was like 80-80.. I was literally where I started at 1200.
Just, what?

Not to be elitist, but do you really think I care about getting some random armor and a couple of weapon crystals?

For some people the only reward that has value is a top 3. And the subject of this thread is focused on discussing how the matchmaking progressively punishes those aiming to achieve such reward, to the point it seems only possible through rating manipulation techniques as shown by the leaderboards.

There is a great curve of difficulty about the rating ranges:

*1200-1350: is pretty much Solo Ranked easy mode if you know what you are doing; if you are a good player, you'll end up in teams which heavily outmatch the other one.

*1350-1500: some classes/specs struggle here but it is still doable; you start to notice that your matchmaking stops ''carrying you'' and it is quite even.

*1500+: from here after the chances of winning are reduced significantly; the queue simply produces consistently stacked teams for you to go againts, expecting that you somehow manage to carry.

The only times when you can ''bypass'' the punishing system is to be lucky and hope that the low rating players that end up in your team are actually good players on low rating alts and not some casual that ''meant to queue regs''.

In the end you could argue that it is limited to population, the lack of it, and perhaps the time of day you queue and at what point during the season; but as someone who has earned 6 golds and 4 silvers, I can say that this system needs to change if we are to have an enjoyable Season 11.

Nothing is good about this matchmaking. Except for those who will bot their way to 1800 range first thing in the morning this 12...

Seterade
02.09.2019 , 02:06 PM | #22

Lhancelot
02.09.2019 , 02:38 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
What is this a SS of?
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Seterade
02.09.2019 , 02:40 PM | #24
sniper leaderboards.

its a gunslinger with gold rating in solos with 10 wins.

its what this topic is about. people "queue abusing" to get the highest elo for minimal effort.

merovejec
02.09.2019 , 05:03 PM | #25
sniper leaderboards.

its what this topic is about. people "queue abusing" to get the highest elo for minimal effort.
Well I made a thread about that some time ago already
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68130

Lhancelot
02.09.2019 , 05:47 PM | #26
sniper leaderboards.

That's why I recommend a wins/losses point system instead of ELO for rating. It's just too easy to manipulate the rating on this game and the devs are incapable of fixing that.

It just takes a group of losers I mean friends that coordinate with one another to drop matches etc. to boost one another's rating.

Last year when I was doing solo ranked, it was clear one guy I got as a group member frequently was doing it, sometimes he'd stay the whole match, then depending on who was on the other team he'd drop our match leaving us with 3 versus 4 before it began.

I quit ranked after a week of seeing this ****. It was really frustrating, not one bit worth the time or effort of trying to get rating the fair and square way when you rely on teammates so much and it's so easy for them to ruin games.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

LinkinPein
02.09.2019 , 08:29 PM | #27
lol

https://imgur.com/a/Hy4U0dN

sniper leaderboards.

No. I can vouch for him. That's one of the best players overall on Star Forge. He's specially good on Snipers.

You always get about 1500 rating if you win your first 10 matches, and with this matchmaking system, a player like him really would have no trouble getting that kind of rating in the first ten. I myself won my first 9 on my Sorcerer and reached 1450.

To be honest, you are looking at the wrong player here; it's the 10+ wins and 1600+ rating you really should be looking at. But I get that getting gold in 10 wins seems a bit unfair. People getting top 3 spots in 10+ wins is the real issue here.

Seterade
02.09.2019 , 10:33 PM | #28
I didnt accuse. I know its easy. I simply posted it because it was relevant to the discussion without taking a side.

bUrself_
02.10.2019 , 01:07 PM | #29
BW took in a fair amount of pvp feedback over the last couple seasons and, aside from the typical contrarians on this board who have no idea what they're talking about, we've been consistently complaining about dps being able to guard. We should continue to remind them how dumb this is but I suspect they just disagree with us on that point - there's almost no way they haven't noticed the complaining about it and it would be easy to change so I don't think it's something they agree with us on but just can't get around to committing to.

The matchmaking is weird but if bioware would ever return it to the way it was one thing I would not miss is the way the support roles would get stacked together. The old method of #1 vs #2 and so on down the line worked fine for 8 dps games but with support classes in the queue the cumulative advantage of the #1 dps, tank, and healer all being on the same team could get really out of hand at times. In the past when populations were better and the #2 in each role were more likely to be on a par with the #1 it was less bad but as the population dwindles the delta creeps higher and higher and the futility of many matches goes up with it. This of course applies to 8 dps games as well but given the high #s of dps along with the fact you are of equal value to everyone else (support classes clearly being slightly more valuable than 1 dps of equal skill) the impact is noticeably less

Quote: Originally Posted by LinkinPein View Post
Return 30% damage reduction when stunned to Juggernauts, Assassins and Powertechs. With the increase in damage output, these classes simply get close to dying in a single 4 second stun, if not plain globalled. This was perhaps the most reckless, stupid change ever made in terms of class balance.
I'm not necessarily opposed to giving those stun DRs back (juggernaut dps never had it, though) however if our goal is to actually shake up the meta in a meaningful way (rather than just take a bite out of how lopsided it is, which is all this change would accomplish - at least in solos) we need to aim at the primary culprit. Which is that marauders, snipers, and mercs were overbuffed.

We should be careful about adding more and more ways to survive to the game - there are more game modes than solo ranked and the consistent upward TTK creep has really messed with warzones and group ranked, often not in a good way

Quote: Originally Posted by LinkinPein View Post
Matchmaking tends to stack classes, often ending in an unfair composition. Examples:
This complaint has popped up on these boards from time to time for years but I really think it's a case of confirmation bias. Class stacks are annoying and stick in your brain (especially the losses - I still remember games against 4 mercs from season 8) - the games where classes are spread around fairly evenly are quickly forgotten. I think if anyone cared enough to make a log of class lineups in solo ranked with a proper sample size that it would be basically random

MandoMetal
02.10.2019 , 01:39 PM | #30
Some of the main problems with solo ranked are cross-role backfilling (lol) and just the players you are expected to carry that are dragged out from the depths of elo hell once you get of high enough rating.

There is more RNG this season than any previous season as a result of the queue quality. If they limit who can queue and who wants to queue (by removing mats completely and adding expertise gear for example), the new matchmaking system could actually work. It may actually work somewhat better than the system for seasons 1-9 due to the fact you can't backfill, factional sync, etc.

At this point you are either required to play on an alt to see how bad the queue is and then play on a main when its decent, or just do the roughly hundreds of RNG games it will likely take to get T1 or top3.

There certainly are players that wintrade for top3 or t1 in like 10 games as previously posted, but from looking at leaderboards its usually not possible to know if it is legit or not.

Solo ranked has by no means ever been an absolute metric of skill in other seasons, but the better players do tend to always rise to the top in either system if they put in the time. However, this season for sure is the least accurate measure of "skill" due to the excessive amount of randomness that would need to be addressed to even begin to consider it valid.

At this point either play solo ranked for the luls and/or the thrills of carrying hard games and those dank 1v1s and 1v2s or whatever... for its more of a joke than its ever been before and shouldn't be taken too seriously in it's current state.
- All-Galaxy Roleplayer

"I may be hetero bud... but I'll blast you with so much KappaPride, it'll make ur gendr spin"