Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Tanking for Dummies (5.7)

Elusive_Thing
02.08.2018 , 05:19 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by kissingaiur View Post
After testing, 5% damage reduction even when your out of range does still apply to the player in PvP. We did a test on Ilum and in a warzone, it indeed works.

It's very odd it works like this. But since it's correct I will be updating my guide with the new information.
The tooltip is pretty ambiguous. I wasn't sure of this either before I tested it with a guildie a few years ago. Not a big DR boost, but the ability could be described better in game...

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 05:47 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Elusive_Thing View Post
The tooltip is pretty ambiguous. I wasn't sure of this either before I tested it with a guildie a few years ago. Not a big DR boost, but the ability could be described better in game...
Yeah it makes no sense. It actually was a surprise to me that it works this way. It's not intuitive at all, the only way to know how it works if by literally testing.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"
5.6 PvP Operative Healing / twitch.tv/kissingaiur

Banderal
02.08.2018 , 05:53 PM | #23
I just tested this with my friend. He guarded me, then he lacerated/removed guard in the next GCD at the same time. This was with a 0 ability action queue. It doesn't look like it's bugged to me.

I think there might be an issue with you queuing multiple abilities in the ability queue or not clicking fast enough?
Ah, I saw that I have a .5 queue time set. Maybe that is it. I'll adjust and try again next time I'm in the game. Thanks!

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 05:56 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Ah, I saw that I have a .5 queue time set. Maybe that is it. I'll adjust and try again next time I'm in the game. Thanks!
.5 is *really* high for PvP. I would suggest .25.
Hothothothothothotho
"I need you all to know that Iíve transcended ranked pvp by reading about it on the forums"

Banderal
02.08.2018 , 06:13 PM | #25
.5 is *really* high for PvP. I would suggest .25.
I think .5 must be the default, because I never even knew this setting existing until you mentioned it a couple posts ago. I'm now going to go blame all my suckiness on it. Actually, with my old-person reflexes, I'm not sure making it lower is better. I'm never going to be changing what I'm doing at the last second anyway. So I might as well let it queue. On the other hand, if it fixes the problem I have removing guard "on the fly", then I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

AdjeYo
02.08.2018 , 06:18 PM | #26
Yeah it makes no sense. It actually was a surprise to me that it works this way. It's not intuitive at all, the only way to know how it works if by literally testing.
Maybe it's just me, but I see little indication that the 5% damage reduction wouldn't work in pvp when the reading the tooltip. The base effect of guard is 5% damage reduced and 25% threath reduced, with an additional 50% damage transfer in PvP when within 15 meters. The only thing I find really odd is that the 5% is reduced before the damage is split, even though all other forms of mitigation (and even the accuracy vs defense and crit/shield roll!) happen after the damage has been split, that just seems inconsistent to me.

Banderal
02.08.2018 , 06:35 PM | #27
I just tested this with my friend. He guarded me, then he lacerated/removed guard in the next GCD at the same time. This was with a 0 ability action queue. It doesn't look like it's bugged to me.

I think there might be an issue with you queuing multiple abilities in the ability queue or not clicking fast enough?
Hmm. I changed my queue time to 0, and I still get the same behavior. Maybe it's some other setting. I don't think it's slow keypress speed, since I can pretty clearly see it "stop" the GCD progress bar animation as soon as I try to remove the guard.

But as I typed earlier, I'm not sure in the grand scheme of tanking, that it's such a big deal. I might see if I can figure out what setting while I'm waiting for queue pops or something. Or, I did this final testing by guarding NPC's on fleet. Maybe that also works different for some reason.

[EDIT: Ok, I tested this a bit more in a WZ. Removing guard doesn't seem to activate the GCD. So if I remove guard first, then I can immediately do another ability. But I still can't remove guard while the GCD is, well, cooling down. I don't know how to do 2 abilities at exactly the same time. As far as I know how to do things, you still have to do one then the other. So maybe your friend did the guard remove first? ]

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 07:08 PM | #28
Hmm. I changed my queue time to 0, and I still get the same behavior. Maybe it's some other setting. I don't think it's slow keypress speed, since I can pretty clearly see it "stop" the GCD progress bar animation as soon as I try to remove the guard.

But as I typed earlier, I'm not sure in the grand scheme of tanking, that it's such a big deal. I might see if I can figure out what setting while I'm waiting for queue pops or something. Or, I did this final testing by guarding NPC's on fleet. Maybe that also works different for some reason.

[EDIT: Ok, I tested this a bit more in a WZ. Removing guard doesn't seem to activate the GCD. So if I remove guard first, then I can immediately do another ability. But I still can't remove guard while the GCD is, well, cooling down. I don't know how to do 2 abilities at exactly the same time. As far as I know how to do things, you still have to do one then the other. So maybe your friend did the guard remove first? ]
No you actually are correct. I was wrong (I think I was slightly confused on what you were asking).

I understand now. You cannot remove guard in the middle of a GCD even when it's technically off the GCD. This seem like an oversight in the mechanics or a bug. Thanks for pointing this out.I will make sure to note this in the guide.

Sorry for the confusion!

Ps- I would still recommend you run at most .25 ability action queue.
Hothothothothothotho

Banderal
02.08.2018 , 07:19 PM | #29
Sorry for the confusion!
No worries. Much respect for this guide. I've tanked since almost the start of my PvP life, and you still know way more than me after you "just started".

Ps- I would still recommend you run at most .25 ability action queue.
I'm curious why a lower queue setting is better. Is it as I was thinking, where if I get something queued up at the .5 second mark, then I can't change it at the .25 second mark in response to an enemy action? (Actually, I would have assumed that the game would take whatever the LAST thing was I hit before the GCD expired, but maybe not.) Or is there something else going on that I'm not seeing?

kissingaiur
02.08.2018 , 07:28 PM | #30
I'm curious why a lower queue setting is better. Is it as I was thinking, where if I get something queued up at the .5 second mark, then I can't change it at the .25 second mark in response to an enemy action? (Actually, I would have assumed that the game would take whatever the LAST thing was I hit before the GCD expired, but maybe not.) Or is there something else going on that I'm not seeing?
Well. I think it depends how spammy you are with your abilities and how fast you change your mind. For me on medicine its really mechanical and I like to spam a lot and adjust my input on the fly. If you have high reaction time and can use all your GCDs well you should always go 0 or .25. Personally I feel like .5 is too high because sometimes you do change your mind and you tend to do 2 things in a row but wanted to change it but now can't. When I had a .5 I tend to double click HoTs all the time or double rolling by mistake. I hated that.

I feel like .25 gives you less of an opportunity to mess up and easier to change your mind. The only situation I would suggest a higher action queue would be players who struggle with using abilities quickly on time with GCDs or struggle with high ping.
Hothothothothothotho