Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Switching over from WoW, can you suggest a class to me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Switching over from WoW, can you suggest a class to me?

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
02.18.2019 , 06:00 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mastermaj View Post
Thank you for the quick replies. Juggernaut sounds amazing! Now that I'm fairly certain Juggernaut is going to be my choice, is there a preferred spec/build to go?
You also could do its "good side" equivalent, but it is common here to exclusively use "bad side" = Imperial Side terms to des cribe classes and abilities. This almost looks as if any "good side" class within the game doesn't exist.

This is especially important for beginners, because´they'll find TONS of advices written for the "bad side" - but almost none at all for the "good side", because everyone here assuimes that everyone - even fresh beginners ! - know that both sides classes are exact mirrors of one another.

Oh, and player-made class guides always appear for the Empire side first.

(Apart from the occational bug, of course. If there is a class bug, then it is most likely to be on the "good side" class, because developers seem to exclusively test the "bad side" class mirror. This really happens, but it is very rare.)
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
02.18.2019 , 06:58 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
You also could do its "good side" equivalent, but it is common here to exclusively use "bad side" = Imperial Side terms to des cribe classes and abilities. This almost looks as if any "good side" class within the game doesn't exist...
Oh, come on Alrik, the very first reply in this thread was...

Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
I would say you just described a jugger/guardian DPS (they have a tank spec - just don't pick that one ). I've read some people say that Mara/sentinel is better...
See, both sides mentioned. Of course, that was me. And I *did* put the "good" side 2nd. Almost like a 2nd class citizen, right?

Although, you are definitely right about guides. Original Poster, if you are looking for guides, you are best off searching for the imp side names of things.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
02.18.2019 , 11:13 AM | #13
I do not know if you'll be happy tanking in PVP. You should find a healing buddy to run with or at least some friends, because nothing is more lonely than tanking solo (in reg queue).

However, the suggestions about juggs are still good as they're very easy to pick up and have solid, easy to adapt to DCDs.

Mara is the real in-your-face dpser though, and although they have nowhere near the same head-on DCDs that juggs have, they can and are, in fact, designed to leap right into the fray. It just takes more skill to master their DCDs than juggs. That said, they're my pick for melee wrecking ball.

of the other melee classes, it sounds like you're not into stealth (op, sin), but it's worth noting you'll never die if you "roll" op dot spec.

PT dps can be great, but you'll need to roll with a healer or tank friend.

The good thing about jugg is that if you find tanking is boring AF, you can swap to a dps spec w/o rerolling a new toon.
Krack

Sertar's Avatar


Sertar
02.19.2019 , 02:12 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
But it's worth pointing out that if you ever venture into solo ranked on a jugg, you will always be focused first (unless there's a powertech or well-known really bad player on your team)
This is correct, BUT:

Jugg is still one of the best classes to get into solo ranked. It's one of the easier classes to not get globalled, so by achieving that you can start to learn the mechanics of the game mode and improve your gameplay. On many other classes beginners just get globalled over and over again and thus get hardstuck in their learning curve, while on classes with a bit more time to react or with the ability to use something while stunned they would start improving. So feel free to get into solo ranked on jugg, even tho your class is not FOTM and you will often be targeted first.

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
02.19.2019 , 03:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sertar
This is correct, BUT:

Jugg is still one of the best classes to get into solo ranked. It's one of the easier classes to not get globalled, so by achieving that you can start to learn the mechanics of the game mode and improve your gameplay. On many other classes beginners just get globalled over and over again and thus get hardstuck in their learning curve, while on classes with a bit more time to react or with the ability to use something while stunned they would start improving. So feel free to get into solo ranked on jugg, even tho your class is not FOTM and you will often be targeted first.
You may have a point, but I don't think I would find it fun being constantly tunneled and dying first in every ranked game. If you play a mara, your dcds are pretty much as good, and you have the ability to stealth out and heal.

KendraP's Avatar


KendraP
02.19.2019 , 04:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
You may have a point, but I don't think I would find it fun being constantly tunneled and dying first in every ranked game. If you play a mara, your dcds are pretty much as good, and you have the ability to stealth out and heal.
As someone who does get constantly tunneled, it gets old fast.

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
02.20.2019 , 09:04 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
Oh, come on Alrik, the very first reply in this thread was...
Well, you do know me, don't you ?
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.