Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

(How to) Attack the Target of my Target?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sage / Sorcerer
(How to) Attack the Target of my Target?

efredman's Avatar


efredman
07.17.2012 , 06:25 AM | #1
Does anyone know if it is possible to attack the target of my target without "un-toggling" my target?

In otherwords, if I want to keep "Bob" as my target so that I can heal him, but also throw a few attacks at his target without un-targeting Bob, is this possible? (I know it is in a few other MMO's but not sure about this one)


While I am at it, does anyone have a good healer PvP spec they can show me?

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
07.17.2012 , 09:17 AM | #2
Unfortunately, no way exists in SWTOR.

I suspect you're referring to the awesome interface toggle that Rift, among other games, had that made your abilities automatically target your target's target if your current target wasn't a valid target (for example, using a hostile ability when targeting a friendly, or vice versa). Frankly, I would have killed to see that implemented, it's an amazing feature, but somehow many MMO developers haven't caught on to how awesome it is (similar to AoE looting, though at least Bioware picked up on that one).
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

efredman's Avatar


efredman
07.17.2012 , 10:46 PM | #3
That's a bummer... Maybe I will try and post it in the Q&A.

uniz's Avatar


uniz
07.18.2012 , 02:48 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
Unfortunately, no way exists in SWTOR.

I suspect you're referring to the awesome interface toggle that Rift, among other games, had that made your abilities automatically target your target's target if your current target wasn't a valid target (for example, using a hostile ability when targeting a friendly, or vice versa). Frankly, I would have killed to see that implemented, it's an amazing feature, but somehow many MMO developers haven't caught on to how awesome it is (similar to AoE looting, though at least Bioware picked up on that one).
eq2 and i believe eq1 had this too. also you could target the mob and heal who the mob was attacking too: called healing through the mob. kinda thought this was a standard mmo thing until i played rift and actually had to "turn it on". also target of target can be and was used as a threat meter. if the mob no longer is targeting the tank but you you knew you just pulled agro before he even runs to you. there was so much you could do with this simple feature in both raids and group content. it appears mmos are going backwards now days.

perhaps some day this game will have it.

XtremJedi's Avatar


XtremJedi
07.18.2012 , 07:27 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by efredman View Post
That's a bummer... Maybe I will try and post it in the Q&A.
Hehe... good luck with that... it's been a very, very much requested feature since early beta....

X

DenitharPurloin's Avatar


DenitharPurloin
07.18.2012 , 06:13 PM | #6
Doesn't clicking on the target of target work?\

EDIT: Ah, I think I understand better now. You want some sort of "Heal through" option where you can have a Boss targeted and help w/DPS or interrupts and also heal the tank as long as he remains the target? Would actually be a great toggle option.

hatterson's Avatar


hatterson
07.19.2012 , 07:50 AM | #7
Sadly, the best you could do now is by using focus target. Target the tank and focus the boss. When you want to DPS hit alt+f which will target the boss and focus the tank. When you want to heal hit alt+f again which will target the tank and focus the boss.

Although I agree "do this action to targets target" logic when using a friendly ability on a non-friendly or a non-friendly ability on a friend would be amazing and I hope they implement it.
"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."
- George Bernard Shaw

TheJediLord's Avatar


TheJediLord
07.21.2012 , 02:02 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Sadly, the best you could do now is by using focus target. Target the tank and focus the boss. When you want to DPS hit alt+f which will target the boss and focus the tank. When you want to heal hit alt+f again which will target the tank and focus the boss.

Actually, there is a modifier key (I think default is End) If you press the End key, cursor turns blue and whatever ability you use will affect the focus target (provided you don't use an offensive ability to a friendly). That way you can have a target (which can be a boss) and the tank as a focus target.

Also, the Home key modifies the ability and applies it to you. Say you have an ally selected and want to heal yourself, press Home (cursor turns green) and you heal yourself.

Of course you can re-map them to whichever key feels best for you.