Guardians make good tanks?

sandyrocks

Just curious before I spend the time lvling up.

They take the most work to hold aggro due to a lack of ranged and AOE abilities. If you want to tank as a guardian, you have to mark and set kill orders and also make good use of CC.

Honestly, Vanguards/Powertechs are probably the best tanks, followed by Assassins/Shadows. Guardians and Juggernauts are last mainly due to the issues I descibed above.

I play Immortal on my Jugg, and I do well with her. Also lvling a Vanguard tank right now, and I must say it's alot harder. You only have one defensive CD lol? I'm at 32 right now so I'm only missing acouple of abilities. Vanguard tank tree is huge on shields which blow in PvP. PvE it's great.

PvP Jugg

PvE Vanguard

Edited by HeavensTerror

Just curious before I spend the time lvling up.

Definitely, Guardian is a good tank with a good storyline. The caveats around them are, as with tanks in most games, based on the skill level of the player. If the player has not mastered the class, then they are a poor tank. In SWTOR, the game mechanics are more forgiving of people who have not mastered the class for Vanguard/Powertech or Shadow/Assassin than they are for Guardian/Juggernaut.

So what I am saying is that all 3 tanks are good, useful, viable. Guardian is the hardest to play, though.

As for which is best, the arguments there are largely immaterial in my opinion, because the results are subjective without damage/threat meters, the results are based so much on the player's mastery of the class, and witht he game being as new as it is, Bioware are tweaking/nerfing the skills of classes quite frequently, so what is best this week may not be best next week.

Play Shadow. They have a lot of good utility, and retain that Jedi feel. They have their own CC, they have stealth, etc. Great for completing dailies and such. Personally I play Guardian, and I'm satisfied, but I have lots of friends who play Shadow, and I can tell you that both their tank and dps specs are extremely viable, and again their toolbox is ridiculous.

I play Immortal on my Jugg, and I do well with her. Also lvling a Vanguard tank right now, and I must say it's alot harder. You only have one defensive CD lol? I'm at 32 right now so I'm only missing acouple of abilities. Vanguard tank tree is huge on shields which blow in PvP. PvE it's great.

PvP Jugg

PvE Vanguard

Guardians have the best Defensive CDs. Vanguards only have two, Reactive Shield which is their 25% Damage Reduction and Adrenaline Rush which regens 15% HP.

a good storyline

Levelling a BH (lvl47) atm I definitely do not agree. I thought the Guardian story felt extremely cheesy with all the "you are the chosen one" crap. Also everyone around you is seemingly completely incompetent, although I think this is a general Republic issue.

Apart from this I think your posts contain many valid points.

Guardians are definitely viable for tanking in Ops, where single target tanking is generally where things can go wrong. Both of the Defensive CD's are really strong for PvE in comparison to what the other tanks get.

I too didn't like the JK story line after having played the IA, SI, and Smuggler. The JK story is waaaay too kiddie gloves. I mean I get it.. Jedis.. paragons of virtue.. we get it. I'd have preferred a more snarky Obi-wan, moody Mace Windu, or even angsty Anakin to what we got. It's almost devoid of emotion.

The companions are great though. Doc especially.

I thought the JK story was the best story for any class. It really shines in Act 3. It is the Jedi Knight archetype saving the galaxy story that I think may wanted to play when they heard this game was being made.

Guardian was made for this, it has the most potential if played right. Don't listen to other people saying to choose another class... The guardian requires the most skill, so many will QQ on it.

No, not really. Im excellent at my guard and I've been a dedicated tank for years throughout my MMO hobby.

Guardian can work, is fun to play and has some tricks. But shadow tanks have us beat in so many ways.

They can sap, they have in combat CC, much stronger aoe, self healing, pull, more damage and I'm missing something.

I like my guardian and he's good enough at the job to keep him. But I'm jealous of the shadow tool kit and if I could go back for a do-over, I would have rolled one instead.

Threat is the main issue here. Guardians have the worst aoe threat by far and their single target threat isn't any better than the other two. They also have less utility while shadows get stealth, cc, pull and vanguards get a pull. Force push is **** when tanking.

Guardians will get the job done, but its much less of a pain and easier with the other two.