Was Darth Vadar an idiot?

ellrochell

Good call :) I refuse to buy Ep. 3 after I saw it in the cinema because of the stupid ending(s).

(Droids memwiped, Qui-Gon contacts Yoda from beyond death to teach him and Obi-Wan how to become one with the force, Amidala dying after childbirth when Leia tells Luke in RotJ that she remembers their mother, and of course, the Noooooo!)

I think George Lucas started believing his own BS about how "Ep. 4-6" was the "middle trilogy" of a 9-part epic.

To be fair, only C-3PO was mind-wiped at the end... because he's a blabbermouth (though he did a damn fine job keeping Leia a secret early in ANH when talking with Luke). Artoo, tho, got to keep his memory. He knew everything all along, which makes his 'fight' with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back look like an improv scene. "Hmm... Yoda's acting like a crazy old hermit. Oh, right! He's in hiding, and he's testing Luke. I'd better play along......I wonder if I should've told Luke that Leia was his sister? Maybe it'd get him to stop having me replay her hologram asking for Obi-Wan's help. Every. Single. Night. Oh, Yoda's got the lamp... time for my part of the act!"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, only C-3PO was mind-wiped at the end... because he's a blabbermouth (though he did a damn fine job keeping Leia a secret early in ANH when talking with Luke). Artoo, tho, got to keep his memory. He knew everything all along, which makes his 'fight' with Yoda in Empire Strikes Back look like an improv scene. "Hmm... Yoda's acting like a crazy old hermit. Oh, right! He's in hiding, and he's testing Luke. I'd better play along......I wonder if I should've told Luke that Leia was his sister? Maybe it'd get him to stop having me replay her hologram asking for Obi-Wan's help. Every. Single. Night. Oh, Yoda's got the lamp... time for my part of the act!"

R2 and Luke on the trip from Dagobah to Bespin. Luke is sleeping comfortably as the X-Wing hurtles through hyperspace when all of a sudden R2 beeps quietly "Psst Luke. Who's your daddy?" "Oh, should have told you this earlier, but Vader is your daddy! Oh, and that hot chick who slipped you the tongue on Hoth? She's your sister. Boy, you are so boned!"

Luke hears the quiet beeping and wakes up. "R2? Are you ok? I thought I heard something."

R2 starts laughing to himself as he says "Ah, go back to sleep, kid. You got a helluva fight with your da... daa... Darth Vader tomorrow. I was just going over some old data in my memory banks. Sorry to wake you."

Luke, being the gullible farmboy he is, says "Ok, have a good night." and goes back to sleep.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Since we have established he is not stupid. Lucas should make 7-9!

I lol'd. :D

But seriously, if they make 7-9 as anything but either the Thrawn Trilogy or the X-Wing series when they take Coruscant back from the Empire, it won't feel right to me. Yes, I said it! Let Stackpole or Zahn write the next trilogy! At least their dialogue won't make us all cringe! :D

Edited by Captain_Zone

I don't really want to see what Lucas would do for 7-9 now... in his mind, Han & Leia have kids, but the Skywalker name goes away because he'd rather Luke be a loner hermit like Obi-Wan & Yoda than get hitched to Mara & have Ben Skywalker. I much prefer Luke being the first of the NEW Jedi, starting the order over, doing things differently, and passing on what he's learned not only to his sister and her children, but to his own!

R2 and Luke on the trip from Dagobah to Bespin. Luke is sleeping comfortably as the X-Wing hurtles through hyperspace when all of a sudden R2 beeps quietly "Psst Luke. Who's your daddy?" "Oh, should have told you this earlier, but Vader is your daddy! Oh, and that hot chick who slipped you the tongue on Hoth? She's your sister. Boy, you are so boned!"

Luke hears the quiet beeping and wakes up. "R2? Are you ok? I thought I heard something."

R2 starts laughing to himself as he says "Ah, go back to sleep, kid. You got a helluva fight with your da... daa... Darth Vader tomorrow. I was just going over some old data in my memory banks. Sorry to wake you."

Luke, being the gullible farmboy he is, says "Ok, have a good night." and goes back to sleep.

Lol. It´s true.

It is, because R2 has a sick twisted sense of humor and a potty mouth. I'm convinced that if they'd put subtitles for everything he said, the movies would have been rated R for language. :D

R2-D2: Most vulgar character in movie history:

Every word he said was bleeped out.

Good call :) I refuse to buy Ep. 3 after I saw it in the cinema because of the stupid ending(s).

(Droids memwiped, Qui-Gon contacts Yoda from beyond death to teach him and Obi-Wan how to become one with the force, Amidala dying after childbirth when Leia tells Luke in RotJ that she remembers their mother, and of course, the Noooooo!)

I think George Lucas started believing his own BS about how "Ep. 4-6" was the "middle trilogy" of a 9-part epic.

stop being so hateful of George Lucas. Everyone that is is just jealous that he created an amazing adventure and you didn't.

He brought us star wars and they are the best films ever so shut it

stop being so hateful of George Lucas. Everyone that is is just jealous that he created an amazing adventure and you didn't.

He brought us star wars and they are the best films ever so shut it

Actually, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the best films ever, imo. Star Wars OT comes in a close second, though. :D

i don't like batman. I think star wars is better :)

Ok, your choice. I'm just saying IMO. Now, in your opinion, Star Wars is the best. That's cool. :D

Here's a compromise.... Batman IN Star Wars! DC and Dark Horse REALLY needs to make that happen!

Dark Knight of the Republic has a nice ring to it. :D

Good call :) I refuse to buy Ep. 3 after I saw it in the cinema because of the stupid ending(s):

The no is horrible, but none of these contradict the original trilogy:

Droid memory wipes: Only C3-PO was wiped. R2-D2 was left alone. This is specifically stated by Bail Organa:

"I'm placing these droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the Protocol Droid's mind wiped."

Qui-Gon's force spirit-ness: It was established early on that Qui-Gon was, if not heretical, highly unconventional in his philosophy regarding the Force. His being able to become a Force spirit rather than completely becoming one with the Force is most likely a result of his understanding of the Force. He would then need to teach Yoda and Obi-Wan, both more conventional thinkers in regards to the Force, how to let the process happen. In the EU, this is further explained by the Ruusan Reformations, and the fact that the Jedi Order becomes increasingly complacent and ... comfortable, making it so the Rise of the Sith becomes a complete surprise, as they no longer expect the Sith to return.

Amidala's death: THis has been blown way out of proportion, mostly because people forget part of Leia's comment in Return of the Jedi:

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

Princess Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

Luke: What do you remember?

Princess Leia: Just... images really. Feelings.

Luke: Tell me.

Princess Leia: She was... very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?

Luke: I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her.

The bolded parts are important. Think back to when you were a kid. Chances are, you don't remember anything before you were four or so. Now, you might recall a couple of events when you were younger, but the specifics have faded.

Also note the use of the word "images." Images need not be clear and specific. Picasso created images in his art, and no one's going to say those are in any way realistic representations of people. Look up "image" in the dictionary, and one of the definitions is the following: "a mental picture of something not real or present." An obsolete definition is "apparition," though I doubt George was going for that.

Now, imagine you're a child who has incredible Force potential. You might recall the intense feelings Padme felt during childbirth (which is a traumatic experience). And those feelings might even manifest in an image of your mother in your mind. Even before that, you probably got residual effects of her emotions while in the womb. If you were conceived during a period of widespread conflict, including the apparent dissolution of something your mother deeply cared about (the Republic), you're going to pick up on "sadness." And that's actually a real phenomenon; it's why some mothers play classical music to their kids while still in the womb: they pick up on it, and it affects their moods. Mom gets in a bad mood, child might decide to do so as well.

Long story short: There is no conflict in the dialogue apart from what fans have inserted on their own in the years between 1983 and 2005.

Edited by JacenHallis

Ok, your choice. I'm just saying IMO. Now, in your opinion, Star Wars is the best. That's cool. :D

Here's a compromise.... Batman IN Star Wars! DC and Dark Horse REALLY needs to make that happen!

Dark Knight of the Republic has a nice ring to it. :D

Yeah it does :) But, they could always do a Batman-like character. A non-Force-powered vigilante Rebel type, keeping a sector of Coruscant's lower levels or Nar Shaddaa or Taris or something safe from the Empire, Black Sun, Hutts, etc. He wears an outlandish outfit that many people equate to the Jedi of old, tho it probably looks nothing like Jedi robes and serves to disguise his species and identity. People swear they've seen him use the Force to do fantastic feats. He's a Jedi. He's a Sith, those things the Jedi talked about during the Clone Wars. Most don't believe he exists. He is... the Shadow Knight?

There's Agent of the Empire out, about an Imperial James Bond/Derek Flint superspy... they could do a dark vigilante one, too. Whether they could get away with it, tho, is another story ;)

Amidala's death: THis has been blown way out of proportion, mostly because people forget part of Leia's comment in Return of the Jedi:

The bolded parts are important. Think back to when you were a kid. Chances are, you don't remember anything before you were four or so. Now, you might recall a couple of events when you were younger, but the specifics have faded.

Also note the use of the word "images." Images need not be clear and specific. Picasso created images in his art, and no one's going to say those are in any way realistic representations of people. Look up "image" in the dictionary, and one of the definitions is the following: "a mental picture of something not real or present." An obsolete definition is "apparition," though I doubt George was going for that.

Now, imagine you're a child who has incredible Force potential. You might recall the intense feelings Padme felt during childbirth (which is a traumatic experience). And those feelings might even manifest in an image of your mother in your mind. Even before that, you probably got residual effects of her emotions while in the womb. If you were conceived during a period of widespread conflict, including the apparent dissolution of something your mother deeply cared about (the Republic), you're going to pick up on "sadness." And that's actually a real phenomenon; it's why some mothers play classical music to their kids while still in the womb: they pick up on it, and it affects their moods. Mom gets in a bad mood, child might decide to do so as well.

Long story short: There is no conflict in the dialogue apart from what fans have inserted on their own in the years between 1983 and 2005.

Except I imagine if you asked anyone who watched Return of the Jedi in 1983 if Leia knew--actually KNEW, as in was raised by for a few years--her mother, including George Lucas himself, they'd likely say "Of course."

Leia had Force potential. We know that from Return of the Jedi, and we see her tap into a bit of it. But there's ZERO indication of it in Revenge of the Sith, and it leads to the greater disconnect: the fact that Luke, in that very same exchange, says "I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her." Luke's got Force potential, and is trained in its use, but he has zero memory--no "images" as you define them, no "feelings".

That makes the "Leia remembers her thru the Force" explanation a bigger fan-inserted problem than the disconnect between ROTS and ROTJ. Fans have argued over this since 2005, with wild theories from "Leia's eyes are open at birth, Luke's aren't, I KNOW what I saw!" (which isn't true; recollection isn't always accurate, just ask the guy who swore the Rebels' blaster pistols fired green bolts in the OT) to "Leia was talking about Queen Breha, not her, um, real...mother...okay shut up I'm right you're wrong! It was Breha! LALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

The simple truth of the matter is that George changed his mind between 1983 and 2005. This is true about many other aspects of the Saga as well (Han & Greedo, Anakin's spirit, the entire Saga being about Darth Vader, so many aspects of the PT that weren't what ANYONE expected, Luke screaming when he dropped down the abyss on Cloud City, Vader shouting NO! when betraying the Emperor to save Luke, etc).

Also, I'm pretty sure there are studies saying that playing classical music to infants in the womb doesn't do anything useful at all, in addition to studies that say it does! ;)

Edited by Toonimator

Palpatine had been screwing with Anakins mind for a long time and the Jedi council did not fully trust Anakin, after he was manipulated into disarming Windu:D he just did not care anymore and gave into his dark side.

The only thing that could pull him back was his wife who of course died, making Sidious a very happy chappy.

In the future of course his son would pull him back.

i see what you did there

"disarming" XD

Just gonna answer the OP coz the discussion has gone way off topic.

He knew it all by then, but it's kinda hard to turn back to the Jedi when you've pretty much caused the death of Windu. With Yoda and Obi Wan gone, Kit Fisto and Sasee Tiin dead and his need to learn how to save Padme, he pretty much decided to just go with it.

I dont think Anakin was stupid so much as he was a ***** teenager. Which, in many cases, is the same thing as stupid.

The french even have a saying 'cherchez la femme', which doesnt quite translate to men are stupid, so much as 'look to the woman'.

This is where Anakin's fault and stupidity lay.

Its the age old classic tale of love, treachery and force choking the crap outta some chick who torqued you off on a lava-spewing planet while your best friend stand there and watches.

Dumas couldnt have told it better, even if he knew what a lightsaber was.

Vader's not an idiot. Lucas is an idiot, and it's painfully obvious in his half assed, poorly thought out screen writing. its obvious he didnt rewatch the original series before writing the prequals, he probly didnt even rewatch the other 2 prequals before he wrote episode 3.

I don't think Anakin was an idiot, I think it was more of Palpatine being an extremely manipulative scumbag.

I think Palpatine was manipulating Anakin from when he was a kid, homesick over missing his mom and reeling from his father figure (Qui Gon) being killed.

From a psychological standpoint Anakin was extremely vulnerable as a child, and in a very Sithlike manner Palpatine proceeded to manipulate the boy.

I don't think Anakin was an idiot, I think it was more of Palpatine being an extremely manipulative scumbag.

I think Palpatine was manipulating Anakin from when he was a kid, homesick over missing his mom and reeling from his father figure (Qui Gon) being killed.

From a psychological standpoint Anakin was extremely vulnerable as a child, and in a very Sithlike manner Palpatine proceeded to manipulate the boy.

I've said it before, and it bears repeating here. Palpatine was a master manipulator. He made Machiavelli look like a kindergartener. Basically, he could manipulate pretty much anyone or anything to suit his needs or wants.

I used to love Darth Vader. Then the prequels....Now, IMO he is lame.

He is just very emotionally weak.

Lucas knows nothing about human nature. Having served over seas and worked as a firefighter/parmedic for the past several years, working around death makes you rather numb to it.

I am not saying death does not bother you, but you just dont freak out or lose control just because your mom died. You develop more acceptance, "it happens".

So you would think: A "Jedi" that served during wartime, and had no problem chopping off Dookus head would not flip out over his wife possibly dying.

He would be sad but he would cope well, death was a major part fo his life already. He acted like teenage kid with no life experience.

A jedi should not feel hate, anger ,fear, happiness nor love, the reason he turned to the dark side was from his feelings if they had trained him from birth like they were meant too he would not had those feelings. love for padme, fear of losing her, anger towards obi-wan for not taking his side, hate of the Jedi for not making him a master, the only person to turn to was palpatine whom he trusted from a young age, had the power to save the one he loved, and allow them to cont. there love and be a Jedi (has he belived) his feelings got in the way as they would to anybody and it all started with the death of his mother. He was never weak palpatine was very clever in clouding the Jedi and Aniakin.