Let Them Die

Hey everyone. Today I was tanking Chasing the Shadow and the Scoundrel of the group was opening every fight with his droid cc before I could use my stealth cc, at the same time making the entire mob attack him.

The first 2 or 3 times I managed to round up all of the enemies and we finished the mob. The third time I just focused on one enemy and let him die.

The right approach to a DPS or healer jumping the gun too often and not letting you tank?

In my opinion, no.

When difficult pulls are made like that by impatient/stupid dps, the temptation is there to just stand and let them die, I play a healer so I do get what you're saying.

But I'd rather get as much practice in at healing as possible, and for the most part I will always try to keep everyone alive as much as possible - tbh sometimes I'm the "Idiot" running in with a mortar volley whilst everyone else discusses CC, just because I want to make the encounters more challenging and fun.

Of course I understand that people just want smooth runs and to get flashpoints over with as quickly as possible. But if I were you I'd try to tank and take as much as you can, it will only result in you getting better at handling adds and managing your cooldowns.

Cheers.

With CtS which can be 2 manned with no problems, I would say just round up everything pull after pull. It's really not that hard of an instance since nothing hits incredibly hard. Flashpoints on the other hand, I will let a DPS which is pulling die all day long. I have never seen a healer do pulling though but wont say it doesn't happen. Just don't let the healer die because if they go down, you just might go down yourself.

With CtS which can be 2 manned with no problems,

CtS can be easily one manned, without companion until the final boss with a sawbones. Easy to kill everything or to do it the sneaky way. Final boss is easy with companion. I can't do it without, sure others can.

Even though I can do it without anyone else, when teamed with a tank or normal group, I will wait for the tank to pull. However when doing it with just dps, I will pull and let everything attack me and free the dps up to do their jobs. Any sawbones with half a clue can survive anything in CtS with no trouble in anything above columi. My normal practice in CtS is mark my CCs. I will stealth CC one and when the tank pulls CC the droid as I come out of stealth. In the first room I will then flash bang the weak Devaronian looking guy by the bar. DPS and the Tank usually never pay attention to him and he shots the healer until the end.

So I agree with the OP, let them die, just don't be surprise if they don't die and you end of dying during the final boss. :p Just joking...I say asked the politely to let you do your job. They just may not know the correct way to play the game. I do understand your frustration, I haven't done CtS in two weeks in a group. Just get tired of all the rude people, which is stupid because 90% of the people I have grouped with have been great, it is just that 10% or less percent is really annoying.

Did you tell him that you needed to be out of combat in order to apply your CC? Sometimes people do not know that and assume you can because their cc works in combat. Some people are just plain new to the game so communication is key.

"can you please wait before starting the battle that I stun this guy? I can only do it before the combat starts. Thank you very much!"

My policy as the healer is as follows...

I will ask them politely to make sure and let the tank pull first. If they do not the next time I will give them a last warning to let the tank pull first. If they continue to perform such behavior I will not heal them if they pull from that point forward allowing them to die. I will of course heal them due to peel agro and/or if they accidentally steal agro from the tank but just because I am a full Rakata/Black Hole/Campaign geared sage healer doesn't mean I want to draw heal agro from healing you whether I can heal through it or not.

But seriously, I play a healer, and sometimes someone does something a that's a bit silly. But the fact is, these sort of things happen from time to time. Sometimes a player is new, or they're having an off-day, or there's some issues with hardware or connectivity. I mean, I know a lot of people get frustrated by failure or stymied progress,, but I would rather have a cheerful team that's playing at less than maximum efficiency, than an unpleasant one where everyone is cuffing each other for any and all errors, but everyone is breezing through.

Although, part of this is bias, because sometimes I have been the one to make a silly mistake, and I have had very generous players afford me a good measure of patience and kindness. :p

Basically, good communication is the best salve for these kind of problems.

Hey everyone. Today I was tanking Chasing the Shadow and the Scoundrel of the group was opening every fight with his droid cc before I could use my stealth cc, at the same time making the entire mob attack him.

The first 2 or 3 times I managed to round up all of the enemies and we finished the mob. The third time I just focused on one enemy and let him die.

The right approach to a DPS or healer jumping the gun too often and not letting you tank?

Agreed! Nothing more annoying than those overeager DPS. Do everyone a favor and let them die.

talk to them first and after the second time let them die.

death is a wonderful teacher. that is why mmos that are rather difficult to level up in have far smaller a population at end game of such players. it weeds out the stupid and unteachable.

Letting them die is certainly a viable option, with prior communication of course. To add to the previous justification of it: in the way that practicing a poor technique when learning something leads to the habit of always using the poor technique, a naive dps mindset countered by your ability to regain threat on all mobs will only reinforce this "bad" behavior. I have had many experiences with guild members that were often carried through operations by a subset of the raid group that had higher gear; however, the gear of the group overall was much higher than required. Still, we encountered difficulty because of dps not doing their best to avoid damage and take threat, but the overability of the better geared members accounted for that. When it came to operations where gear could no longer carry people through, we were often stuck because people had not learned to play appropriately.

While Flashpoints are certainly easier than operations, dps must understand appropriate damage/threat concepts starting at that earlier stage if they expect to excel at operations later. So, letting them die is a good way to teach them a lesson as it only causes a loss to them, whereas in in operation everybody wipes. Just be sure to let them know what they are doing wrong and why before you pull their plug.

I do this as an encouragement for the rest of the group to not to stand in front of every pull for 1 minute and wait for someone else to do something (tank stays there, dps stays there not doing anything)... so I just use my droid cc or whatever to kick-off the fight. I can heal through most of these anyway.

I dunno...

It certainly is frustrating, but what is more frustrating is that people keep on using AoE or actually directly hitting CC'd targets. Seriously, I'm happy I have a "pull out group member from danger" ability, because if I didn't - wipes would occur way more often.

Just last night I had "fun" with a group, where tank jumped into danger without as much as a word, but that wasn't what iffed me the wrong way. Allright, he jumped in there - I knew he had a load of health and armor and he wouldn't just die like a rabid dog. Thus I shield the tank, to give me some time before needing to heal him, and look for a standalone strong target to CC. So I levitate the target, and get back to healing the tank. And what do I see about five seconds after the mark was CC'd? I see the freakin' sniper charging his "ambush" ability on the CC'd target! WHY!?

Why the heck tanks can recognise a target getting controlled in the middle of the battle, but most dps can't? Don't you look where you're shooting?

A group fights a stack of mobs and accidentally pulls another stack. Happens, right? So two hardest mobs from the new pack get controlled immediately, so that we would have less to worry about. And what comes next? RIGHT, the mercenary hits the whole pack with an AoE rocket barrage thingy. Yay, now we have more golden mobs to kill you, dear merc!

If I put a mark on target and say I'll CC it - it means I'll keep re-CC'ing it as long as needed to finish off other targets. Don't just assume that if control ran out you can start spamming that target. If the other targets are still alive - the marked one will be recontrolled asap.

Whew. Some people...

I do this as an encouragement for the rest of the group to not to stand in front of every pull for 1 minute and wait for someone else to do something (tank stays there, dps stays there not doing anything)... so I just use my droid cc or whatever to kick-off the fight. I can heal through most of these anyway.

Yes, I know this issue from both sides. I tank a lot, more than anything else in this game. I always go at a very fast pace and am often pulling the next group by the time my dps is about to finish one (I always run with healers that know I'm going to do this, I will slow down if needed for pugs.).

Sometimes I still get dps though that seem to want to lead, or that focus the completely wrong mob (not really a problem in FPs but can be an issue in operations). It's annoying but whatever, as long as they aren't dying and the healer isn't complaining I just do my best to keep the mobs controlled.

Now, when I'm dpsing, I'm sorry but it is terrible to get one of those tanks that stops to survey each pull for a decade. It literally makes a flashpoint take 2-3 times longer than it should. So I will get a bit impatient when that happens and start pulling, to force the progress.

Honestly, I just don't pug a lot anymore.

Edited by Mordeguy

I leave the group. Simple as that. I just can't stand the babysitting, arguing and wiping. So I take a short break, and when I come back I walk straight past the queue while they have to wait in line. Edited by Nilatis

Yes, I know this issue from both sides. I tank a lot, more than anything else in this game. I always go at a very fast pace and am often pulling the next group by the time my dps is about to finish one (I always run with healers that know I'm going to do this, I will slow down if needed for pugs.).

Sometimes I still get dps though that seem to want to lead, or that focus the completely wrong mob (not really a problem in FPs but can be an issue in operations). It's annoying but whatever, as long as they aren't dying and the healer isn't complaining I just do my best to keep the mobs controlled.

Now, when I'm dpsing, I'm sorry but it is terrible to get one of those tanks that stops to survey each pull for a decade. It literally makes a flashpoint take 2-3 times longer than it should. So I will get a bit impatient when that happens and start pulling, to force the progress.

Honestly, I just don't pug a lot anymore.

Yeah, it happens that tanks are inexperienced, hell, I was once inexperienced, but it's simply irritating when they stay there and stare at the pack... so I initiate and most of the times it's sufficient for the tank to move. The other of this is when people as so hasty/don't know correct shortcuts that they pull half of the mobs from the FP in our neck.