Loot rules? need and greed with companions

Realistically, I think pug groups will have to establish the loot rules b4 they do the run.

Personally, I think companions should come under Greed, but if I'm in a pug group that has established that u can need for companions, then I'm gonna need with no reservations.

I do think Bioware will have to implement a fairly solid 'loot' mechanism mainly for pugs. I can foresee that it wont take too many examples of a player's toon losing some good gear that they could use to a companion b4 the 'guild run only' instances and raids become more and more common place.

I fear that this added incentive of companions will just make the ninja looting problem worse and will polarize players into spurning pugs far more than usual.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long story short, check with your group before you roll need for your companion.

Would you automatically roll need on a drop for an alt? Say you're tanking, and there's an item that drops that you'd like for if/when you respec for dps, would you automatically roll on it even though it's inferior or incorrectly itemized for what you're currently doing? The answer to both those questions should be no. If, however, the other group members don't mind after you ask, by all means roll need.

Remember, we don't have cross server junk to deal with, your actions will have reprecussions through the server you play with. Act like a jerk, people won't want to group with you and your name will get out to the rest of the server.

You must have been reading my mind. I am hoping that not having cross server groups will help the the *****holes.

This will be really, really simple:

1) When you join a group, ask what the group agrees on - need for companions or greed

2) If your companion needs a piece of gear and your group has agreed to greed, ask if no one else needs it would it be OK to roll need. Just like with alt loot in games where you can trade between toons on your account. Your companion should take priority over vendor trashing it, but not before an actual players character with that rule set.

3) When you form a group, set your rules and let those in group know them. If they don't follow the rule (IE: A tank rolls need on healer gear if you've agreed to greed for companions and they didn't ask) kick them.

IMO one should always roll greed for a companion - any players actual gear trumps a companion who won't be on instance/raid runs in most circumstances. But as long as you make your groups rules clear to begin with, there shouldn't be an issue whatever you want to do.

This is going to be a hell and nightmare, people will need on everything for Companions in a random group. mark my words.

Yup.

If I'm in a PuG and no rules are established beforehand ... I'm not going in.

I"ll just wait for friends or guidmates or people I have met and listed.

How many times have you seen people say "I need it for my alt" .. then it goes up on AH in 4 minutes?

Edited by Tigrin

This makes no sense at all, by end game you'll have a companion for every roll... that means you can potential roll need for EVERYTHING. All you'd have to say is, "I have a crew member that needs..." total BS. If the only reason you play this game is so you can take the items that are shinny and blue/purple expect to not be invited to groups.

Always remember, there is a "kick from group" option... all loot ninja's are reserved a special place in Hell!

Enjoy!

Yup.

If I'm in a PuG and no rules are established beforehand ... I'm not going in.

I"ll just wait for friends or guidmates or people I have met and listed.

How many times have you seen people say "I need it for my alt" .. then it goes up on AH in 4 minutes?

Then I say "then run this instance with your alt"

I'm OK with PUGs most of the time. The only issues arise when greedy d-bags try to steal mah lootz.

I will have a macro for people who I wont bring on my mumble server stating"Need for yourself, not companion; if noone needs then you can have it for your companion. If you don't follow this rule you will be instantly kicked from group, thanks for your time"

If they don't like it, then they can find a diff group.

Hope they make companion loot (players cant use it) and players loot (companion cant use it), and gone is the probleme.

Yup agree with this ^^^^^^^^ Flag items for companions only and player only. The only problem with this is creating more loot and changing loot tables. It already exists with weapons so it shouldn't be too hard to impliment

I'm more worried about SC/JC rolling on SW/JK gear and vice versa than people rolling on companion gear.

And yes given the amount of time I will spend with a companion in this game if my companion needs it and no one else is rolling need I will roll on it. Nothing like having an undergeared tank companion when your trying to quest against gold elites.

I was a SI in beta, from the drops I got I could only equip light so it was pointless rolling on heavy. I'm not sure if the Sw can wear light though so that might make it more likely that it happens that way round.

The other thing is the reverse engineering, I as a synthweaver will be doing FP a few times with my groups if possible so that I get a chance to reverse engineer stuff so that I get better recipes.

Note this will only work if you do the instance a few times and state upfront that you want to do this, but will only roll if others don't need the gear. * Or go with a group of friends and kit them out first *

Players=need

companion=greed(or you ask before you Need for your companion)

In my opinion, if you diverge from this you're a ninja.

I think I'll ask my group members before we begin this question, just to avoid miscommunications. If they say Need for companions, they'll be short 1 healer.

Just consider the companion as an extension of your own character. If your companion needs it then you need it.

Have to disagree. If an item drops and no one needs, and if no one minds, then by all means, hit need. Needing heavy* armor over the Jugg, BH, Trooper, or Guard** in your group for your companion is just wrong, though.

*insert any armor type

**insert any class that wears the armor typ you listed

From what I have seen in the beta tests my groups always choose greed unless they did have a need for it and even then if someone needed it more than someone else they would just trade it to them. Like I we didnt have the everyone wants the loot thing. Like people knew what they needed, the tanks went for the heavy armor and the shields and ranged heals went for the force focus items so its very well managed from what I have seen.

Isn't the big problem that when we have only fair people it works out anyway and it does not work at all with unfair people? I mean, I also tend to see how bad I 'need' it too. If it's only a small improvement I probably 'greed' it even tough I could argue to click 'need' too. However, when it would suddenly be a huge improvement for my companion I might click 'need' while others would click 'greed' there.

Above example would be no problem at all if everyone was fair in it, even if we use different ideas the basic idea would be the same. The problem starts with ninja people who are unfair, not with the system people tend to choose.

Rarely had the problem of people always "needing" gear. Though on occasions the PUG does get them. For my solution to the rare time that happens.... well my Wife LOVES tanking. I Enjoy healing. Some one "Needs" for their companion.... bye bye. Though we will be clear with that at the beginning.

The popular opinion was that characters are need, everything else is greed.

Now if someone wants to 'need' for a companion, usually they only had to ask and unless someone was really needing something for their character, they would have no issue.

Since eventually everyone will have 6 companions (5 unique companions and a ship droid), claiming need for companions pretty much means that need will become the only choice.

Keeping companions at the greed level and a little communication will make sure that the characters themselves maintain th epriority that thy deserve while not cutting companions out of the deal.

But as always, every group should explain what they think is appropriate beforehand.

If you think that characters and companions are all need-worthy, that's fine, just expect what you will get.

You also have to be willing to enforce your decisions. If someone needs everything, you have to be willing to kick them unless you said up front that it was okay. Otherwise, you are just crippling the people that were the best team players in favor of the Jawa(s).