Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can anyone give me pointers on playing Combat Jedi Sentinel?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Can anyone give me pointers on playing Combat Jedi Sentinel?

TrixxieTriss
08.22.2019 , 09:22 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
you absolutely need to augment properly though. fix your tertiary stat balances. don't rely on bolster to do that for you. it's not that intuitive.
This is 100% true. I can’t stress enough how important it is to pay attention to that.

TrixxieTriss
08.22.2019 , 09:33 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I'm glad you're persisting. People should not be kicking you, that's awful.
Yes, it’s good they are persisting. It’s terrible they are getting kicked, which is a bit of toxicity on the part of those doing the kicking.

Quote:
The gear itself isn't important, it just signals that you're new when it's 236.
What if you have multiple Alts on multiple classes on multiple servers? 236 gear isn’t the best way to decide if someone is new or not. Especially when you can nearly have exactly the same or in some cases, bolster can give you better stats than someone with full 248 gear. It depends on how you tweak it and what lvl you’re using for a main hand weapon.

It annoys me in games when people still give people a hard time about gearing when they don’t understand how Bolster works themselves (not saying you don’t). I see people in full 248 gear who have no idea because their secondary stats aren’t adjusted for pvp Bolster, but someone in 236 gear has made the effort to do it and actually have better bolstered gear and they get people kicking them or snickering at them because they are in 236 gear.

JediMasterAlex
08.22.2019 , 09:55 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
What if you have multiple Alts on multiple classes on multiple servers? 236 gear isn’t the best way to decide if someone is new or not. Especially when you can nearly have exactly the same or in some cases, bolster can give you better stats than someone with full 248 gear. It depends on how you tweak it and what lvl you’re using for a main hand weapon.

It annoys me in games when people still give people a hard time about gearing when they don’t understand how Bolster works themselves (not saying you don’t). I see people in full 248 gear who have no idea because their secondary stats aren’t adjusted for pvp Bolster, but someone in 236 gear has made the effort to do it and actually have better bolstered gear and they get people kicking them or snickering at them because they are in 236 gear.
I agree with you. I don't ever complain about anyone's gear in ranked. But if I see someone with 236 gear on the opposing team, and I've never seen them before, I always assume they're new to ranked and target them first. 95% of the time that's the smart decision, because they are the easiest kill. There have been a few times I've been burned by doing that, but it's quite rare.

TrixxieTriss
08.22.2019 , 10:04 PM | #14
I agree with you. I don't ever complain about anyone's gear in ranked. But if I see someone with 236 gear on the opposing team, and I've never seen them before, I always assume they're new to ranked and target them first. 95% of the time that's the smart decision, because they are the easiest kill. There have been a few times I've been burned by doing that, but it's quite rare.
My guess is people know they’ll get focused like that and are too scared to run in 236 gear.
This could also be another reason for less people in the queue if they don’t have 248-258 gear available on that Alt.

Edit: you would also know that regardless of what gear you have, if you get concentrated focus first, you will probably get blown up if you aren’t on the right class. So focusing a 236 geared person can also be a self fulfilling situation because you know they will blow up because they are being focused first.

JediMasterAlex
08.22.2019 , 10:07 PM | #15
My guess is people know they’ll get focused like that and are too scared to run in 236 gear.
This could also be another reason for less people in the queue if they don’t have 248-258 gear available on that Alt.
All the more reason for people to gear up to at least 248 before queueing ranked. Even then, it will still become clear pretty quickly if you can't handle focus well, but it's a start.

Edit: you would also know that regardless of what gear you have, if you get concentrated focus first, you will probably get blown up if you aren’t on the right class. So focusing a 236 geared person can also be a self fulfilling situation because you know they will blow up because they are being focused first.
Experienced ranked players can tell the difference. Plus you can look at damage taken if you hover over the deaths column in the scoreboard, which frequently tells the story.

TrixxieTriss
08.22.2019 , 10:08 PM | #16
All the more reason for people to gear up to at least 248 before queueing ranked. Even then, it will still become clear pretty quickly if you can't handle focus well, but it's a start.
I edited my last post as you where making this one.

JediMasterAlex
08.22.2019 , 10:09 PM | #17
I edited my last post as you where making this one.
And I re-edited mine in response

Jarbarian
08.23.2019 , 06:31 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Csjbo View Post
This definitely looks like a Concentration question, which is the spec I play the most in the game.

Concentration has the easiest resource management out of all the Sentinel specs, but you can still run out if you are inefficient in your rotation and/or you do not equip the right utilities. You have the right utils for the most part, though you could swap out Jedi Enforcer for Adamant for more focus generation.
I am running Adamant! Adamant, Stoic, Watchguard, Force Fade, Ardor, FleetFooted, Enduring, Zealous Ward .

I copied your message so I will be messing around with it, but I have to get keybinds that work. I using the keyboard to move and my mouse has only 4 buttons so I cannot bind much to the mouse. Wish there was an easier way to bind the options.

Jarbarian
08.23.2019 , 06:34 AM | #19
Quote:
It annoys me in games when people still give people a hard time about gearing when they don’t understand how Bolster works themselves (not saying you don’t).
I honestly don't. I have been away from this game for 7 years. Just came back after saying a final goodbye to WOW.

Jarbarian
08.23.2019 , 06:36 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
you absolutely need to augment properly though. fix your tertiary stat balances. don't rely on bolster to do that for you. it's not that intuitive.
I need some help or a web page that talks about it for Jedi Sentinel running Concentration.