[Guide] PvP How to play Vanguard in Patch 1.4

NanoX

I am always trying to help my fellow trooper friends. Now after the nerf of Pyro spec I thought it may be helpful for some people to see how this has changed the gameplay of Vanguard DPS. In the video you can see how hard the ammo management is and what rotation you should use. I can also post the spec if you want!

Yes, it vividly demonstrates the ins and outs of the Vanguard/PT's complex and demanding role in warzones.

The scoreboard at the end nicely summarises how well the class can do when sufficient effort is put into it. Don't click away without checking it out.

Edited by Wainamoinen

I have a lowbie vanguard that has all points so far in the tank spec. I guess I'm pushing too many buttons, because I haven't been enjoying the class very much. I'll try limiting the amount of buttons to 3 or 4 (gotta have hammer shot) and see how it goes!

I tried this on my Merc specced as Pyro for the first time but it didn't work, with Power Shot and Rail Shot. For some reason Power Shot is barely ever setting them on fire? And sometimes I was interrupted. Also for some reason everyone viewed me as a threat and immediately jumped on me every time I came out of the spawn room.

?????

LOLOLOOLOL

I'm losing track of what classes are considered OP but complicated and still respectable, and which classes are just considered OP.

Though, in a game where pressing one button automatically targets someone without any effort, aim, or input from you it's a moot point whether you then have 2 powerful attacks the game will do for you or 5 powerful attacks the game will do for you. Or maybe the complications are in the chain of attacks the game will do for you? One lesser attack the game will do for you, which will enable the game to do a series of more powerful attacks for you?

Vanguard DPS are not being seen as a threat, but more as a easy target to take down quickly, and now that we have no choice to do most of our damage in melee, it is even easier for the range and the marauder/sentinel melee with all their arsenal of CC. I've tried the Tactics build with low success in term of DPS, and the Pulse Generator can still be interrupted by the stuns and push back which is the main reason to take this build. Everything seem broken with that class in pvp. I'll try the tank spec and see if they still get me down easily, I may enjoy it since the tank has a charge (storm) since as DPS we are always interrupted and stunned by marauder/sentinel. In SWTOR, I consider the charge and the extreme speed boost a plague in pvp because of their very low cooldown.

BW, give the Storm to the Vanguard DPS since we now are a melee class.

Edited by Zotah

Vanguard is the most amazing class in the history of MMOs, it has been nerfed 2 times already but the nerfs only make it stronger.

Vanguard 1.2 "nerf": HiB/RS proc was modified with an ICD of 6 seconds. While it stopped RS from procing 2 or 3 times ni a row, it made vanguard burst more RELIABLE because the % of the proc went up. The result is that vanguard damage went up instead of going down, making it burst once every 6-8 seconds instead of pure RNG burst.

Vanguard 1.4 "nerf": The range of some skills was reduced, but the overall damage went untouched. With sticky grenade not sharing a CD anymore with assault plastique, good vanguards now stick their targets with both of the grenades, resultiing in BIGGER overall burst damage (the bombs going off + rail shot to teh face). Since pyrotechs have a slow with almost 100% uptime the reduced range of some attacks is almost a non issue since their "optimal" range continues to be 10m, and its piss easy to stay at 10m of anything with perma slows and a grapple.

/facepalm

Edited by Laforet

Vanguard is the most amazing class in the history of MMOs, it has been nerfed 2 times already but the nerfs only make it stronger.

Vanguard 1.2 "nerf": HiB/RS proc was modified with an ICD of 6 seconds. While it stopped RS from procing 2 or 3 times ni a row, it made vanguard burst more RELIABLE because the % of the proc went up. The result is that vanguard damage went up instead of going down, making it burst once every 6-8 seconds instead of pure RNG burst.

Vanguard 1.4 "nerf": The range of some skills was reduced, but the overall damage went untouched. With sticky grenade not sharing a CD anymore with assault plastique, good vanguards now stick their targets with both of the grenades, resultiing in BIGGER overall burst damage (the bombs going off + rail shot to teh face). Since pyrotechs have a slow with almost 100% uptime the reduced range of some attacks is almost a non issue since their "optimal" range continues to be 10m, and its piss easy to stay at 10m of anything with perma slows and a grapple.

/facepalm

I agree that we've become a MUCH greater threat within 10m with our increased burst, but now we are easily killed by either DPS sorcs (due to snares and their updates in 1.4 that allow them for easier escape) and snipers ( 10m electro dart means we cant stun + pull them out of cover)

/facepalm

Bravo. Someone actually gets it. Not only are vanguards fine but they are actually "somewhat" balanced now. They still have versatility and potency but now take more forethought and careful "skill" to play and dare I say, have a weakness now. Against a competent opponent you can no longer faceroll to victory and you will have to time your cooldowns, grapples and gap closers/openers carefully. Against anyone else, you'll still be a faceroll ball of win. Cheers.

As for the thread starter, not sure if his/her intent was satire in favor of or against the viability of Assault/Pyro Speced Vanguards/Powertechs but regardless he/she accomplishes to show the class is still fine. Anyone feeling the class is broken (no longer viable) is plain out and simply doing it wrong, if you truly want to experience a broken class, roll a Commando and try to DPS in a Warzone.

Yep, I did 900K the other day pushing 3 buttons. The complexity of the class is amazing.

and what? every1 know its easy class for kids, if you wanna play something more skilled try sorcerer ...

but PT is fun to play, simple and fun ...