Rage suffered but all the more with 5.5?

DarthSealth

It’s one of them specs I love and mainly because my main is Fury so there isn’t much change in rotations just a few more options in the opening with slightly different passive and utility. (Force charge grants Vicious Throw and Force Crush grants Free Furious Stike.) (Berserk being replaced with Enrage.)

Although as much as the idea of CC immunity would be nice in this spec to copy the mirroring of Fury I feel is not necessary.

However I do feel as if this spec has suffered along time with AOE similar to that of Fury, although for a little while Rage did have a nice boost with Chilling Scream but I feel they’ve buffed the wrong areas for both specs.

Also since nerfing the Freezing Scream utility I hope they replace the utility and render that utility into the base ability.

What is your thoughts? Is Rage better now?

Edited by DarthSealth

• 4 weeks later...

My focus guardian is doing more single target dps than before. I feel the rotarion has become more fluid and shorter. Focus management is very good, as well.

So, I really like the changes. I can't talk for everyone, and I mainly do pve, so I have no clue how it is in pvp, but I think the spec was improved in 5.5.

Rage definitely took a hit to its DPS in 5.5, albeit not a particularly large one.

The first key issue is that without piercing chill, the spec is a lot worse off in AoE. This can be justified if you say rage is a single target burst spec but, eh.

The second key issue is that while rage got a bit worse, vengeance got a bit better. This is especially not great since veng was already pulling better numbers than rage before 5.5.

Rotation is still nice and fluent.

In PvP, rage was always just about critting very hard and very fast, so chilling scream nerf isn't the end of the world

Not saying I agree or disagree, but according to the class balancfe ideas vigi is supposed to do more overall damage than focus because it's a sustained vs a burst spec.

Honestly I'm a tank main, so what do I really know. When I dps I go vigi because I caught on to it easier. Further the upcomi g changes to utilities look to benefit focus more than vigi. Granted both dps specs will be squishy still but hey equally squishy, I guess.

I am a big fan of Focus, it's one of my most loved burst specs. I really like it without Freezing Force, rotation is very smooth. Sure, it's below Vigilance at the moment but first of all, it should be. And then, the difference is not more than 500 dps or so, hardly matters.

Just a random example: last op I played as Focus was just a simple EV SM with some newbies in my guild. On infernal council I was kiling both juggernaut and marauder cause we lost one DPS. Killed two of them before other players killed their one. :D

That's not the point though, as I said they were newbies. What matters is just the numbers Focus can pull, and well I was right above 10k DPS when I killed the second guy.

Imo Focus can clear anything. Hardly the most optimal discipline for most fights but those who love it and play it well, can do very solid damage. AoE isn't too bad either. Of course, about 2 times lower potential than Vigilance but Vigilance is the god of AoE. Compared to other disciplines and classes I would say Focus is at solid average or a bit above. Guardian's resource mechanic by default puts it over most energy-based classes in long trash pulls.

P.S. Occasional 32k Concentrated Slices make me jump up a bit, that's the most satysfing skill in the entire game in my opinion.

Edited by Equeliber