Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Flashpoints - A Guide for New Players

spoe
12.28.2011 , 09:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JEDIJABLES View Post
To post again I figured I'd ask a really noob question that I think has to do with Flashpoints but maybe more PvP. What is a vent? Is that a chat channel players use or a guild chat of some sorts? Thanks for the help
And to further expound on the point, Vent will be a required download for raid guilds so that raid leaders can issue commands verbally instead of having to type them -- a thoroughly ineffective way to conduct a raid.

The download is free. The client owner pays a monthly fee to use Vent, but as a user, you don't have to worry about that.

Ventrilo and a microphone are almost always going to be required in end-game raid guilds. And, like I said, you can download it free.

symke
12.29.2011 , 02:12 AM | #12
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Really. An outstanding guide for newbies.
As more or less fresh MMO player I was aware of certain mechanics in group but I didn't know how exactly they worked. This guide explains a lot. I will definitely read it few more times.

How does the marking (kill order) work? What do those marks mean? Do they have predetermined meaning like flame always means one thing and lightning bolt another?
Or are they randomly chosen and are only symbols to mark the targets?

Is it always good to do supports first? Like healers and low level XP NPCs?

Are there other such good guides? I would really need them.

JekRendar
12.29.2011 , 04:18 AM | #13
This guide was good until it mentioned WoW. Contrary to popular belief, WoW isn't the only MMO out there. WoW is a clone of many MMOs, so the same mechanics that TOR and WoW might share are also shared in every single MMO since the 90s.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Kershner
12.29.2011 , 05:05 AM | #14
Great guide and very well explained. As a pure heal build I find this game doesn't provide you with an huge force (mana) pool or powerful heals so both have to be carefully managed. CC helps us immensely. Taking one mob out of the equation right away makes everything so much simpler.

Only addition I would add would be to not pull mobs too quickly. Sometimes healers need to regen their force. Would be nice to see another way to give yourself force (like a pot does for health) rather than sacrifice my health but maybe thats just me. Constantly pulling mobs over and over again before the healer has force is a sure fire to get a squad wipe. I have already had a few:

Tank: "Why didn't you heal me?"
Me: "I can't heal without force."
Tank: "Oh sorry"

spoe
12.29.2011 , 05:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by JekRendar View Post
This guide was good until it mentioned WoW. Contrary to popular belief, WoW isn't the only MMO out there. WoW is a clone of many MMOs, so the same mechanics that TOR and WoW might share are also shared in every single MMO since the 90s.
If you notice, I did mention that the guide contains collective experience of years of MMO gaming. I started with Earth and Beyond, which has long since hit sunset.

I also mentioned in the introduction that the points listed several things that I found common in ALL of the mmo games I have played, not just WoW.

Sorry you didn't like the guide.

spoe
12.29.2011 , 05:43 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kershner View Post
Great guide and very well explained. As a pure heal build I find this game doesn't provide you with an huge force (mana) pool or powerful heals so both have to be carefully managed. CC helps us immensely. Taking one mob out of the equation right away makes everything so much simpler.

Only addition I would add would be to not pull mobs too quickly. Sometimes healers need to regen their force. Would be nice to see another way to give yourself force (like a pot does for health) rather than sacrifice my health but maybe thats just me. Constantly pulling mobs over and over again before the healer has force is a sure fire to get a squad wipe. I have already had a few:

Tank: "Why didn't you heal me?"
Me: "I can't heal without force."
Tank: "Oh sorry"
haha. Yes, this is a problem. The thing is, tanks will only pull until they figure that out, which means they die. I'm sure the person in the dialogue you listed will remember to wait on the healer from now on.

This is one of those things I didn't cover in the guide but did mention that experience will be a good teacher. So, in short, don't worry about it. That dialogue you mentioned is, quite frankly, the best way for someone to learn.

Jimnius
12.29.2011 , 05:53 AM | #17
Having been a Tank in a few MMO's your guide is good and it is always the curse of the Tank that someone doesn't understand threat management. A good guide for all players in the group is to ensure that they have a basic understanding of how the different classes work and interact with each other. When players can do that then there will be less conflicts between players in groups and they can concentrate on defeating the Instance/End Boss which is the ultimate aim of the game.

spoe
12.29.2011 , 06:00 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by symke View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Really. An outstanding guide for newbies.
As more or less fresh MMO player I was aware of certain mechanics in group but I didn't know how exactly they worked. This guide explains a lot. I will definitely read it few more times.

How does the marking (kill order) work? What do those marks mean? Do they have predetermined meaning like flame always means one thing and lightning bolt another?
Or are they randomly chosen and are only symbols to mark the targets?

Is it always good to do supports first? Like healers and low level XP NPCs?

Are there other such good guides? I would really need them.
Good questions! I'll try to be more thorough.

The marks are there as tools for group coordination. Nothing more. Before the first pull, if someone is marking targets, ASK them what those targets mean. Be sure you clearly understand their meanings in the kill order before the pull begins.

The important thing about the marks is that they should be defined before the first pull and their definition should remain consistent for the entirety of that flashpoint. If your group decides that the "flame" mark will always be the "kill first" mark, then you know whenever it shows up on a mob, he's the one the DPS goes after first. If the crosshairs mean "kill next," it should be the "kill next" target every time it is used in that flashpoint group.

The marks and their meanings can change in every group; just make sure you write down the kill order so you don't get confused.

Above all, if you are a controller in that group (someone with a CC), make double sure you understand what your mark is. As a CC'er, the group is depending on you to take that mob out of commission until it is ready to be attacked.

Crowd Control targets will come later in the kill order every time. Most pulls require the tank to hold aggro on at least two mobs. Those two mobs will die first before the tank starts engaging CCd targets (unless one breaks early--see the note below).

What do I do with healing mobs? If there are mobs in the group that heal the other mobs, you have to do something about them quickly, either kill them first or CC them--one or the other. This is one of those "experience" things: you'll notice right away if a mob goes from 5% health to 100% health. This is a recipe for a wipe. Get those healers dealt with as quickly as possible. It is the same reason healers in warzones are targeted so frequently as well.

What do I do when a CC breaks early? CCs have a limited amount of time, and sometimes they break early for one reason or another. Your group needs to discuss what they will do with broken CC should you get one (and you will).

If a CC breaks early, the tank should immediately tab over to it and hit it a couple of times or the mob will continue to attack whoever cast the CC because your CC spell generates aggro. It isn't much, but it is still enough to put the controller on top of the hate list until someone--the tank--outpaces it. You can't just ignore a broken CC because you don't want it to be there.

Broken CCs are one reason why a voice-over-IP program, like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, is vital. Often, tanks are standing in front of giant mobs. Their field of view is limited many times to some giant robot's kneecap. They won't always see loose mobs. Let them know as best you can that a mob is loose so he can do something about it (unless, of course, you have a backup controller in the group who can apply a CC if the original CC user's spell is on cooldown still).

Never, above all else, put a Damge-over-Time (a DOT) on a CC target that breaks early. It could be that the one who originally cast the CC or someone with a similar CC can just re-apply the spell if his cooldown finishes before the group gets to that mob in the kill order. If the mob is ticking with damage, the CC will not take. Damage ticks from a DOT will break a CC as easily as a swat from a lightsaber.

If you don't define what will happen to a broken CC, you'll end up with someone other than the tank taking damage, which will likely end up in a death.

Goshee
12.29.2011 , 07:09 AM | #19
Excellent guide ^^ Good work mate! 5 stars from me

spoe
12.29.2011 , 08:16 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Jimnius View Post
Having been a Tank in a few MMO's your guide is good and it is always the curse of the Tank that someone doesn't understand threat management. A good guide for all players in the group is to ensure that they have a basic understanding of how the different classes work and interact with each other. When players can do that then there will be less conflicts between players in groups and they can concentrate on defeating the Instance/End Boss which is the ultimate aim of the game.
Absolutely. The best players in every game know the ins-and-outs of each class they could potentially interact with. This is especially true of tanks. Good tanks know exactly what the capabilities are of the different classes because a group's composition is going to determine the kill order and the tactics the group will use to take down both trash and bosses.

An outstanding point, sir. Thank you.