The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carousel_t

Today , 06:12 AM

This topic is bollocks, as windows 7 has a way of prioritizing your fullscreen aplications to almost 100%, all your windows functions are suspended as soon as you enter the game in fullscreen. YOU MAY get 1-2 fps more without basic functions like indexing BUT that will cause severe system problems.

raging imp is a Rakata! See my sig for reference :>

Are you suggesting the Windows Direct X API manages your systems resources/drivers/applications in fullscreen modes ?! ......... 0.o

If so how then am I able to run a server and client in fullscreen mode without windows disabling (suspending) the processes needed for the server ?

Edited by ElvinMistress

Are you suggesting the Windows Direct X API manages your systems resources/drivers/applications in fullscreen modes ?! ......... 0.o

If so how then am I able to run a server and client in fullscreen mode without windows disabling (suspending) the processes needed to for the server ?

It's always fun when people come along that don't know anything about increasing system performance :)

It's even more fun when others come in and explain in detail why theyre wrong :D

Also if you have a system with less than 4 gigs of system memory use ReadyBoost (Win7 only Vista's ReadyBoost is pointless).

One good USB drive for this is OCZ Rally2 Dual Channel 16 GB, part number OCZUSBR2DC-16GB. The Dual channel is the key and allows 33 mb/s read and 15 mb/s write. Do watch the prices of some sites. This item only cost $30 tops and 32 GB is about $70. Seen a few scams on Amazon selling them for the price of a SSD.

Edited by Romiz

Also if you have a system with less than 4 gigs of system memory use ReadyBoost (Win7 only Vista's ReadyBoost is pointless).

One good USB drive for this is OCZ Rally2 Dual Channel 16 GB, part number OCZUSBR2DC-16GB. The Dual channel is the key and allows 33 mb/s read and 15 mb/s write. Do watch the prices of some sites. This item only cost $30 tops and 32 GB is about $70. Seen a few scams on Amazon selling them for the price of a SSD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

It's more of a HDD cache them RAM.

ReadyBoost works wonders for texture quality on my machine. With 4gb of solid state cache, everything is crisp and detailed as soon as it's in view. Previously I was getting texture 'pop-in' and in some situations the high-quality versions of textures weren't being loaded in at all.

ReadyBoost works wonders for texture quality on my machine. With 4gb of solid state cache, everything is crisp and detailed as soon as it's in view. Previously I was getting texture 'pop-in' and in some situations the high-quality versions of textures weren't being loaded in at all.

Was that ReadyBoost? Or Ramdrive?

Edited by renegadeimp

I decided to follow this guide, because I've been having a lot of issues in game and I figured that it couldn't hurt even though most of the steps where for Win 7 they are virtually the same for Vista too.

Followed probably 2/3rds of the steps recommended here, my physical memory usage has dropped when running TOR from 77% previously now to 50-55%. Game load times are easily twice (if not more) as fast.

It is 4am here and servers are all light. Not sure if this will keep up, or if its even going to address the issue I've been having (wont mention yet for fear of jynx'ing myself) but like I said, couldn't hurt, all I did was familiarize myself with how to disable non-essential services and speed up my PC. :D

Thanks for the excellent guide, I'll keep you posted as to how it works out after a few days.

Edited by Saos

If you don't know what those are, then you are not qualified to write such a thread! Could we please get a mod here to close this thread?

Spreading around misinformation makes the game run even worse, while some things are legit, others mess things up even more.

I decided to follow this guide, because I've been having a lot of issues in game and I figured that it couldn't hurt even though most of the steps where for Win 7 they are virtually the same for Vista too.

Followed probably 2/3rds of the steps recommended here, my physical memory usage has dropped when running TOR from 77% previously now to 50-55%. Game load times are easily twice (if not more) as fast.

It is 4am here and servers are all light. Not sure if this will keep up, or if its even going to address the issue I've been having (wont mention yet for fear of jynx'ing myself) but like I said, couldn't hurt, all I did was familiarize myself with how to disable non-essential services and speed up my PC. :D

Thanks for the excellent guide, I'll keep you posted as to how it works out after a few days.

If you are having an issue with the game and dont want to post it here, PM me and ill walk you through some more advanced troubleshooting methods.

Koldur

Today , 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renegadeimp

If you don't know what those are, then you are not qualified to write such a thread! Could we please get a mod here to close this thread?

Spreading around misinformation makes the game run even worse, while some things are legit, others mess things up even more.

@ Koldur - I think you misunderstand what renegadeimp is saying , that is a question as to which performance boost is being referred , not what each thing is .

There is actually some very helpful information in this thread and helpful persons monitoring it , you should read through it and add any in depth information you feel we all may have missed here to help lead people in the right direction .

I personally would love to read more informative productive comments from the people like you who respond in this thread .

Edited by ElvinMistress

My Windows 7 runs exactly how I want. It also runs every PC title whether it's an MMO or single player game fine. Bioware/EA and any other poster are out their minds if I'm going to turn services off, restructure my hard drive and all around screw with my system for a game that runs like garbage.

I applaud your efforts but really this is all on Bioware. Tell them to code a game in 2012 where one won't have to 'speed up' their entire damn operating system to hide their shoddy programming.

DigitalDreamz

Today , 03:13 PM

My Windows 7 runs exactly how I want. It also runs every PC title whether it's an MMO or single player game fine. Bioware/EA and any other poster are out their minds if I'm going to turn services off, restructure my hard drive and all around screw with my system for a game that runs like garbage.

I applaud your efforts but really this is all on Bioware. Tell them to code a game in 2012 where one won't have to 'speed up' their entire damn operating system to hide their shoddy programming.

Zen of game design

@DigitalDreamz - I believe you might have missed the title and idea behind this thread .

It great that you have a computer capable of running demanding applications smoothly.

Unfortunately this is NOT the case with some of persons who want to enjoy this game the best they can .

It's not about the programming of the game , but what we can do to maximize the experience and enjoy what we love ( which is playing this game ) as best we can .

My computer isnt horrible but Im still going to give this a shot. Does it work with other games as well? I dont only play SWTOR.

The guide isnt designed for any one game. It's designed to get the most out of your computer overall. It doesnt really take into consideration any games. Just streamlined and optimal performance of your entire system.