What Bothers Me About This Game's Community

TheSupaCoopa

Duran'del here:

The biggest thing that bothers me is that everyone assumes that all teenagers are immature, that everyone who says stupid stuff in General chat is a 12-year-old, that this game would be better if there were subscriber restricted servers or age restricted servers.

But it wouldn't. I have an Preffered account that I plan to play on with my Bro once I get a laptop. If It was sub-restricted, the server population would PLUMMET because the majority of players in this game are not subs.

Same goes for age restriction.

Honestly, this game isn't just for straight white adult males, unlike what down people think. This game is STAR WARS. This game is for EVERYONE.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Duran'del.

Is there anything particular you want to get achieved with your post? Or was it just your 2 Cents?

We had a 16 years old in our guild for about 3/4 year in 2012. Most others of us were/are in our 30s. He was quite immature in times. He could behave as well, if we asked him though. So, you are both: right and wrong. :)

Is there anything particular you want to get achieved with your post? Or was it just your 2 Cents?

We had a 16 years old in our guild for about 3/4 year in 2012. Most others of us were/are in our 30s. He was quite immature in times. He could behave as well, if we asked him though. So, you are both: right and wrong. :)

We had a similar situation in our guild. See most of our members are between the ages of 25 to 50. We had 16 year old who for the most part was okay, until he started doing raids and had to leave in the middle of a fight because he had to go to chores or go to bed. He also like to be disrespectful to the older members on our mumble as well. Eventually, after having a serious talk with him he calmed for a while till he stirred more crap and we kicked him. But it was not because of malice it was because he constantly was immature and annoying.

Duran'del here:

The biggest thing that bothers me is that everyone assumes that all teenagers are immature, that everyone who says stupid stuff in General chat is a 12-year-old, that this game would be better if there were subscriber restricted servers or age restricted servers.

But it wouldn't. I have an Preffered account that I plan to play on with my Bro once I get a laptop. If It was sub-restricted, the server population would PLUMMET because the majority of players in this game are not subs.

Honestly, this game isn't just for straight white adult males, unlike what down people think. This game is STAR WARS. This game is for EVERYONE.

On point 110%. That has always come off as truly arrogant to me. Some people do act like the game should only be for them and anyone they deem worthy. The great part is the vast majority of SWTOR players are truly wonderful people who will help out in a moment's notice.

My point was that there are exceptions to the immature player. Most people assume that people who are immature are always kids. The majority of them are, but the are plenty of a adults who are immature, too.

There's also plenty of mature kids, too, but that minority gets overlooked because of the more immature people.

Duran'del here:

I know it's hard to grow a thick skin But after you deal with any mmo community for awhile it happens. I have heard the 12 year old comparison since I can remember it's just to get under your skin . I would roll opposite faction and gank the people that anger you or their guildies harness your anger and make your self a better player but that's just me. As far as the white male remark I think I get the generalization but you are kinda doing the same thing by lumping your enemies into group of people who are innocent. Pretty soon you will have witty come backs just go alpha male on them (assuming you are a male) it's a pack mentality you have to command respect not demand it !

Edited by Jiminison

Drama and immaturity come from all ages/sexes. I've seen immature teens and teens who are respectful and kind. On the flip side, I've seen adults in Retail Stores act like complete children and throw tantrums, while their kids are quiet and trying to calm their parents in a meaningful way.

In the end, there is nothing that can be done about it other than /ignore or not playing attention to it. Sure, it is annoying and probably unnecessary but that is just the nature of the internet. :/

My point was that there are exceptions to the immature player. Most people assume that people who are immature are always kids. The majority of them are, but the are plenty of a adults who are immature, too.

There's also plenty of mature kids, too, but that minority gets overlooked because of the more immature people.

The best way I suggest you deal with this is by ignoring general chat and showing people that you do not act like that. For the most part we know each person is different and will act differently.