Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Well, with PTS shutting down, the gearing of doom is UPON US.....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

Akevv
10.11.2019 , 11:10 PM | #21
This gearing system is far too complex. Even with 'guide for dummies', no regular player should be expected to understand all of the intricacies of this inane system. I -still- regularly see level 70 folks running around in unmodded ~218 gear. Does EA really believe those folks will suddenly embrace an even more complex system? This is going to be a blood bath folks. Don't fool yourselves that there's a chance this is going to work. I just wonder how many more guilds I'll inherit.

MikeCobalt
10.12.2019 , 12:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Akevv View Post
This gearing system is far too complex. Even with 'guide for dummies', no regular player should be expected to understand all of the intricacies of this inane system. I -still- regularly see level 70 folks running around in unmodded ~218 gear. Does EA really believe those folks will suddenly embrace an even more complex system? This is going to be a blood bath folks. Don't fool yourselves that there's a chance this is going to work. I just wonder how many more guilds I'll inherit.
Same. Ever since this gearing system was announced in that stream I've spent more time looking around Ossus and Dantooine; I still see alot of 230's or there abouts more or less. The more and more this new 6.0 system is described I'm wondering how many will actually try to pick this up and which ones will simply throw up their hands and log out.

I have seen a couple 6.0 guides around twitter from the Influencer's that seem to do a good job at *Explaining the system and how the parts affect each other and the overall system but again, there are so many variations of so many parts, they simply cant cover them all. If I / we need a spread sheet, notes from various sources, excess parts ( I wear the outfits I've chosen and Paid For, Including Weapons, Period) and "Time" to Experiment with then it becomes a job and that doesnt sound like much *Fun and Something I'd *Like to Pay for.

Tsillah
10.12.2019 , 04:10 AM | #23
As for the path 2 the OP describes I wonder to what extent crafting is the way to go there. Set bonuses are no longer linked to mods but shells apparently. That means that it's going to be interesting to those who prefer path 2 to hunt down shells with set bonuses that can be modded and then add the mods.

Eric also did mention there would be an increase in mods dropping in the game so I wonder how that will work out. But the big thing, again is crafting. I'd like to know to what level/rating we will be able to craft mods.

I know people freaked out about the costs but that was also addressed by Eric in saying that they would increase the number of mats per node and that on the PTS there really only was one place with those nodes and that would not be the case on the live servers.

So all in all it's still very much unclear to me how hard path 2 would be compared to 1 but it may not be as bad as suggested.

Does anyone know what happens with augments in 6.0 btw?
Referral link for a week sub and some goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB

xordevoreaux
10.12.2019 , 04:12 AM | #24
Quote:
I keep kicking myself for not taking statistics in college, it'd come in handy for gearing.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).

ceryxp
10.12.2019 , 04:59 AM | #25
I've been thinking about the path I'm going to take for gearing and I've come up with a few thoughts.

Current set bonus gear. A number of my characters use legacy gear for their set bonuses. With those set bonuses being moved to the shell from the armor mod I've started keeping any piece with a set bonus, even if lower rating, that drops from a command crate. I'll purchasing cheap 230 pieces to fill in the blanks. This way when 6.0 drops I should be able to pull out my mostly 252 mods and stick them into a shell with the set bonus. I know this will only be useful until level 75, but I'd rather keep my set bonus for those four levels.

I won't be spending any more command tokens on command boosts. I know they'll carry over as renown boosts, but renown doesn't seem worth focusing on anymore. Crates may be a nice supplement, and I may take the advice to hold all of mine until I get a higher irating, but I won't be trying to farm renown points for crates.

My main focus for gearing will be my main. I'll work on their gear specifically and focus on getting them to a high enough irating that I start getting the good stuff. As I replace pieces I'll stick the old piece into storage and rotate those out as new stuff comes in. This way I'll eventually have a decent set of high irating gear that I'll use to pass around to my other characters to give them a head start on their gearing. Now that everything will be legacy bound, including left side gear, I think this is the best way to gear up in the new system. By doing this I'll be able to pass over gear with a high irating, 300'ish I'm thinking, so my alts don't have to start the grind from irating 252 (or whatever the base irating will be for Onslaught). Over time I'll set up this base, lvl 75, gear with some augments and play with the amps so new characters have something to equip at lvl 75 and can go right into working on their end game gear set.

Depending on how I'm acquiring gear I may save all tech frags to purchase pieces from Kai or the other vendor, or I may purchase a piece on occasion from Takana to fill in a gap if I have a slot that is lagging behind. The gear I get on alts I haven't decided yet if I'll leaving it on them or pass it to my main to gear them up faster. This, or course, would only be a factor early on. Then I'll have to decide it I keep the gear or break it down for the fragments. I'm leaning toward turning everything into tech frags and just focusing on my main's gear since they'll eventually have a full set of gear to pass around to my alts.

That's my plan for now. Most of my characters are in full or nearly full 252 gear, which should be sufficient for a while as I work on my main. But I'm not going to stress out on gear. I'm not going to play with amps until I start getting my final gear set. I may play with them some on the set I put together for my alts and new 75's, but until then amps will just be a nice little bonus. Although, I may try to set up some crafting sets.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

Pirana
10.12.2019 , 05:33 AM | #26
This is about how I thought it would go down. EAWare is notorious for not changing their minds, which is why they're down to a handful of servers. It's either their arrogance, ignorance or just plain stupidity why this games population is so small.

Personally, I don't think this change is as bad as it appears. Gearing for alts should be easier now and gearing should never be the driving force behind any game, content should be. It's debatable whether the two should go hand in hand, but I'll take content over the proverbial carrot on a stick gearing any day, as long as that content can be beaten with sup-bar gear until we get the gear we're desirous of. Which brings us to the next question. How often will new content be released? Going off their history, it's going to be sporadic as always.

I can't really comment on crafting as I stopped crafting years ago.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

HuaRya
10.12.2019 , 06:41 AM | #27
As a player of many other games during my hiatus this is in sync with popular games like Destiny. Will it work for a game where average player has dozens upon dozens of alts? I'm optimistic to say it will. Get familiar with the term 'God Roll'.

Where this system would truly shine is with weapons that have random perks e.g. extended range, different barrels, sights, crystals, hilts, etc.
“I grok in fullness.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Gelious
10.12.2019 , 07:17 AM | #28
In addition, if you want to have a full set bonus gear, you better not be poor. ON PTR, 1 piece of set gear costs 3000 tech fragments and 1 million credits. And there are 7 of them (though you only need 6 for full bonus)

To make matters worse it's just empty shells. To fill them either go do some content (and hope for good RNG) or go visit vendor (175 fragments per 1 type of mod, which are all defined by RNG of course)

So yea, first you just do any content to get full set of 306 non-moddable gear (with the only exception being weapon and off-hand which are always moddable), then you grind mods and shells.

IMPORTANT: You need to have you char item level to be 306. Or else you risk getting mods that are not 306 level.
"They will not! I command them to know fear! To raise me to my throne! They can not!" - Soa. The Red Eclipse:
Gelious - Sith Marauder; Xatras - Jedi Guardian; Xatra - Commando; Helimana - Mercenary; Nellios - Operative; Mellas - Sith Assassin.

Master_Morak
10.12.2019 , 07:32 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
You are right... BW seems rather intent on the carrot - stick model of gaming. If I've hung around this game for what, 6 or 7 years I obviously don't need that carrot to keep playing, Musco.

Play your way is appearing to be a practical joke
Play your way is not a joke, is it still a typical BW lie.
Möge die Macht mit Euch sein

Master_Morak
10.12.2019 , 07:37 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
This is about how I thought it would go down. EAWare is notorious for not changing their minds, which is why they're down to a handful of servers. It's either their arrogance, ignorance or just plain stupidity why this games population is so small.
I could not say it better.
Möge die Macht mit Euch sein