Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

A Day in the Life of Mercenaries and Commandos

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Day in the Life of Mercenaries and Commandos
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DanielSteed's Avatar


DanielSteed
10.02.2019 , 01:06 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone!

In the next installment of our series showcasing the synergy of Set Bonuses and Tacticals, we just published an article looking at Mercenaries and Commandos.
Daniel Steed | Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
10.02.2019 , 01:27 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielSteed View Post
Hello everyone!

In the next installment of our series showcasing the synergy of Set Bonuses and Tacticals, we just published an article looking at Mercenaries and Commandos.
The healing merc tactical "Running Rapid Restoration" should be useful in PVP, it gives a stand still cast heal the ability to be used on the move plus gives it a 10% boost in healing.

The only thing is that it will help with kiting, but I don't know if it will help the overall issue with merc healers which is they get interrupted too easily with their casted heals. If this heal was made an instant cast heal, that would probably be more useful now that I think on it.

I like the tactical "Energized Charges." Double up time on Supercharged Gas" is awesome... I just wonder if this tactical can be used with all mercs, or are tacticals restricted to specific sub classes? (IO merc in this case?)
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

DanielSteed's Avatar


DanielSteed
10.02.2019 , 01:55 PM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I like the tactical "Energized Charges." Double up time on Supercharged Gas" is awesome... I just wonder if this tactical can be used with all mercs, or are tacticals restricted to specific sub classes? (IO merc in this case?)
This Tactical in question is specifically for Innovative Ordnance Mercenaries and Assault Specialist Commandos. As Musco alluded to in this response, we're working on building a comprehensive list of every Set Bonus and Tactical! This will be broken down by general use, base class, advanced class, and discipline.
Daniel Steed | Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
10.02.2019 , 02:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielSteed View Post
This Tactical in question is specifically for Innovative Ordnance Mercenaries and Assault Specialist Commandos. As Musco alluded to in this response, we're working on building a comprehensive list of every Set Bonus and Tactical! This will be broken down by general use, base class, advanced class, and discipline.
Thanks for the response and good luck with the comprehensive list.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Decidion's Avatar


Decidion
10.02.2019 , 10:20 PM | #5
Lots of good stuff there, but honestly, a second Rocket Out in place of a new ability??

The new abilities on Sorcs and Sages look pretty interesting, but instead Merc/Commandos just get a second rocket out. Pretty disappointed with this. In all the years I've played Merc (and I only play PVE), there are probably less than a handful of times I could see myself wishing for a second rocket out.

Maybe this change will be welcomed by PVP'ers, but I am really thinking PVE'ers got the short end of the stick.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
10.02.2019 , 11:29 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
Maybe this change will be welcomed by PVP'ers, but I am really thinking PVE'ers got the short end of the stick.
Not really. Rocket out is decent on dps mercs, but for healing mercs especailly when in group it's pretty useless imo. All it does is kick you away from your group which isn't what you want when you need peels or your tank near you.

I am just hoping more tacticals and gear set bonuses improve the healing merc in PVP. The DPS merc really doesn't need much but the healing spec could really use some QOL improvements.

The second rocket out could prove useful if there are some tacticals or set bonus specials that boost the ability rocket out in some way. Mercs do have one utility already that includes rocket out so maybe it will find usefulness in that way.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

theJudeAbides's Avatar


theJudeAbides
10.03.2019 , 06:28 PM | #7
Quote:
Tactical: "Thermonuclear Fusion"

Plasma Grenade spreads your Grav Roundís Gravity Vortex to the targets it damages, as long as it damages at least one target already affected by your Gravity Vortex. Demolition Round fires additional rounds to nearby targets affected by your Gravity Vortex.
Who even uses Plasma Grenade?!? It's a clear DPS loss, even when you want to AOE. You're better off spamming Hail of Bolts. I don't even have this ability on any of my bars. Are you planning on increasing it's damage? Because that's the only way I'd consider using this.

Double rocket out is fine, I guess. It's a situational ability, most useful in PVP but has some other applications. Can be useful for getting out of telegraphs in ops. However, I can't recall a time where I ever really needed to use it back to back. I think I would prefer a buff to Hold the Line over this, to make it more similar to Vanguards' Hold the Line (when it's fully "Utility-ized"). That could also be a tactical.

Overall Commando's (at least DPS) are in a pretty good place right now. I wouldn't mind a slight buff to our DPS to make up for the giant Nerf hammer that got applied earlier this expac, but that's about it.

Our defensives are solid as is.

Transcendent's Avatar


Transcendent
10.10.2019 , 04:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Decidion View Post
Lots of good stuff there, but honestly, a second Rocket Out in place of a new ability??

The new abilities on Sorcs and Sages look pretty interesting, but instead Merc/Commandos just get a second rocket out. Pretty disappointed with this. In all the years I've played Merc (and I only play PVE), there are probably less than a handful of times I could see myself wishing for a second rocket out.

Maybe this change will be welcomed by PVP'ers, but I am really thinking PVE'ers got the short end of the stick.
Not really, if it included the part about not being able to be leapt to (etc) for a short time after use, then maybe the usefulness increases, considering the amount of gap closers available to some classes. But no, it's an underwhelming addition at best. Also, Fusion Missile? REALLY? With the heat that generates? Good luck with the rest of the rotation.

Giving a lower cooldown on Thermal Sensor Override or Vent Heat with this change would have been far more preferable than a second rocket out that bugs out on the smallest dip in terrain if you use the smaller body type (still bugged).
REFERRAL LINK - Previous subscribers get seven days of subscription, one Complimentary Character Transfer (and more unlocks) - New players get a Jumpstart bundle with unlocks, for free!- Literally the small print

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
10.13.2019 , 08:17 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by theJudeAbides View Post
Who even uses Plasma Grenade?!? It's a clear DPS loss, even when you want to AOE.
What does "DPS loss" mean ? Is it a thing like "negative DPS" ?
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

black_pyros's Avatar


black_pyros
10.13.2019 , 09:01 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
What does "DPS loss" mean ? Is it a thing like "negative DPS" ?
No, it just means that if you don't use optimal ability in a rotation, you are losing some potentially higher dps, that you could have done otherwise.
Click for FREE 7 Days of Subscription

http://www.swtor.com/r/mdqsLM